Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2023, 07:14 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I don't know. The only I've seen were axle mounted,
But
They were on arms that fit above and roll down.
You're right my lift might make room for it all to work.
I think my black tank is in the way, but I'll cure that.

We'll know before the year is over.
I can put chains on pretty quick but there is really no worse job than installing chains.

The pic is four sets, 8 wheels of v bar chains and tighteners awaiting a mount to put them in the polaris's ranger and sportsman.

I'm all about chains and winches and 4x4.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0525231215_copy_1862x1396.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	42073  

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 08:00 PM   #42

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
I'm not sure how they get put on. I know a guy who is a county snowplow driver in upper Michigan. That is my closest personal experience. If you could put chains on in your shop at home and then drive to the snow that would be easy!!
Old 05-25-2023, 08:09 PM   #43

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Got the two 100Ah LiFePO4 batteries and 3k inverter installed and working. Did a few DC amp draw tests with clamp meter directly on battery cable:

Inverter draws 3.7 amps idle
Uses .1 amp on power saver

Refrigerator draws 29 amp (-3.7)*
Microwave 120 amps (-3.7)
Water Heater 120 Amps (-3.7)
Portable heater 131 amps (-3.7)
A/C uses 180 amps DC current (-3.7)
*Readings include inverter amps

Furnace blower minimal

Just ordered two MaxxAir Deluxe fans. They're supposed to be ultra low amp draw. Will test after install for proof.

Based on this, I would require something like 12kWh to run the A/C overnight.

Your air conditioning data seems unusually high, even if you have the optional 15,000 BTU/hr unit; which I assume you do. In any case, if running it overnight when there is no sun and temperatures are much more favorable, A/C power requirement will be much lower when compressor is operating, and duty cycle will be much lower as well. You may need 12 kWh for say an 8-hour night, but I doubt it would be that much.

Just finished helping with design and installation of a similar upgrade, but with greater lithium capacity and two smaller air conditioners. Motorhome is roughly same size as your 24F. While taking initial data, it is obvious that each A/C power requirement will vary significantly depending on temperatures. In evening with inside and outside temps in the low 80s they only pull around 8 Amps each, or just under 1,000 Watts. However, if turning A/Cs on when inside and outside temps are both 90 F or higher can easily lead to current in 12 A range, or 50% higher.

Just mentioning this to make everyone aware that running A/C overnight from batteries isn’t that impossible or cost prohibitive any more. This is particularly the case when the motorhome has a segregated bedroom area with its own small and efficient air conditioner. Unfortunately, your 24F’s open floor plan requires cooling the entire MH for the most part.
Old 05-26-2023, 01:43 AM   #44

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
All of those readings were taken with a clamp multimeter on the positive cable between the batteries and disconnect switch. I too was surprised at the A/C draw. I was getting about 12 amps solar late afternoon today... which means I can run two MaxxAir fans pretty much off solar during the day, and negligible power use at night.

I'm not planning on using A/C off batteries with this setup... I think the battery bank is too small. The intent is pretty much everything but A/C. I may add another 100Ah at a later date.
Old 05-31-2023, 10:45 PM   #45

State: New York
THOR #21937
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
You obviously live were it cold, no relevant humidity, and more specifically... NOT in 100 plus degree temperatures.

The only question I have is why the hitch in the front? I replaced my OEM hitch in the back, but at 18,000lbs not sure what would tow the RV using hitch?
I'm currently in upstate NY, about a mile from Lake Ontario. Rather high humidity all summer. I have taken my rig through something like 22 states in the past two years in everything from below freezing to above 100.

Hitch in the front is to mount a cargo basket, which holds two electric bikes. Hitch in the back also holds a cargo basket and carries a kayak, pop-up canopy, outdoor kitchen, fire pit, and a few other odds and ends.
JeffThor325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 11:25 PM   #46

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffThor325 View Post
I'm currently in upstate NY, about a mile from Lake Ontario. Rather high humidity all summer. I have taken my rig through something like 22 states in the past two years in everything from below freezing to above 100.

Hitch in the front is to mount a cargo basket, which holds two electric bikes. Hitch in the back also holds a cargo basket and carries a kayak, pop-up canopy, outdoor kitchen, fire pit, and a few other odds and ends.

The Duck gave me some Use Cases for hitch in the front. I follow the hitch in front now. On the no ACs, you were right; at least one person ME; don't like your Mod to remove both ACs

I did a quick search and the Average temp in Rochester NY is 71 with a high of 80 and low of 63 in July. I will take that too and don't need ACs at 80 degrees. Truth be told if I lived up there, I might remove one AC and add a Electric Furnace as a second heater to go with the gas heater.

Thanks for the followup, you got my respect. I am just a softy I guess, so I just marvel at the thought. I am the guy that walked from several very good RV deals because they only had one 15k BTU AC. But they were very good deals here in Texas for a reason
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 09:54 PM   #47

THOR #13058
Don't look now, but I just saw where schools and buildings in Pittsburg and Grand Rapids have had to close down due to the temperatures hitting 90 degrees. They have no ACs in any of these buildings
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 06-02-2023, 12:44 AM   #48

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Don't look now, but I just saw where schools and buildings in Pittsburg and Grand Rapids have had to close down due to the temperatures hitting 90 degrees. They have no ACs in any of these buildings
Oh waaa! NO school I went to had A/C except in the administrative offices. And yes we had MANY 90+ degree days with stifling humidity. We opened windows and used fans. Somehow we survived. What did Florida and Texas schools do before A/C became the norm?
Old 06-04-2023, 02:30 AM   #49

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
My favorite modification so far is the Kenwood navigation radio I installed to replace the AxxERA non nav dim screened OEM radio. The Nav radio is much better than using Google maps or a standalone Garmin. I can't count the number of times that stupid suction cup cellphone holder just let go dropping the whole thing phone and all into the footwell often just when I needed to refer to the navigation. Added to the navigation I can actually see the screen on the new radio. Now when I turn on the turn signal I can see what is next to the RV. and better still I can turn on the rear camera and actually see when the TOAD is clear for me to pull back in after a pass.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 11:21 PM   #50

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
My favorite modification so far is the Kenwood navigation radio I installed to replace the AxxERA non nav dim screened OEM radio. The Nav radio is much better than using Google maps or a standalone Garmin. I can't count the number of times that stupid suction cup cellphone holder just let go dropping the whole thing phone and all into the footwell often just when I needed to refer to the navigation. Added to the navigation I can actually see the screen on the new radio. Now when I turn on the turn signal I can see what is next to the RV. and better still I can turn on the rear camera and actually see when the TOAD is clear for me to pull back in after a pass.
Did I miss the link to the Kenwood radio with Nav system? Does it require a subscription? Does the unit have Android Auto and Waze?

I have Pioneer and like it, but it is not what I would buy. It would be a Pioneer but big brother to my current unit, but I love Kenwood products too.
Old 06-04-2023, 11:25 PM   #51

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
My camera and dash and radio mods are here:

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=78

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 11:32 PM   #52

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Oh waaa! NO school I went to had A/C except in the administrative offices. And yes we had MANY 90+ degree days with stifling humidity. We opened windows and used fans. Somehow we survived. What did Florida and Texas schools do before A/C became the norm?
Well I am not from Texas, so I don't know what they did before AC. I am pretty sure there was AC on the Ark but maybe Noah didn't install it?

You missing my point of astonishment, this is about removing 2 AC units

Let's say you are Superintendent of some Pittsburgh Independent School District and you say say know what, we don't need the ACs and rip them out in favors of fans open windows and other alternatives etc. Then you start closing schools down because it is too hot

Now with that said, I know you can survive excessive heat and humidity. But why? I get it, It is a Up North thing and I just don't understand
Old 06-05-2023, 02:12 AM   #53

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Did I miss the link to the Kenwood radio with Nav system? Does it require a subscription? Does the unit have Android Auto and Waze?

I have Pioneer and like it, but it is not what I would buy. It would be a Pioneer but big brother to my current unit, but I love Kenwood products too.
Kenwood DNX775RVS. Takes vehicle size into account when setting a route. No subscription required the navigation is by Garmin. One of the first things I checked was the navigation around restrictions. There is a 5 ton bridge along a route that I occasionally use. The navigation found a shorter way around than I could have on my own, so I am happy. Radio is XM compatible with an add on receiver and also has a DVD/CD player. This radio is currently selling for just under $1,000.00 from Crutchfield. Kenwood also has a newer version selling for nearly $2,000.00. You should be able to get it from Amazon and possibly Camping World as well.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 03:20 AM   #54

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
Do you have a tutorial on how you did this?
are there any change required in cabinets, etc?
I did have to make some changes to the cabinets. The original oven was 2 inches smaller in width and height. So there was definitely some fabrication. Our kitchen is in the slide so that was the hardest part. I will try and see what photos I have.

So in the end the bottom drawer we lost about 3 inches in height. But since you can leave dishes in the washer if you really need to we didn’t really notice it.
Old 06-05-2023, 03:27 AM   #55

THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapped View Post
What brand and model is the dishwasher and where did you get it. Looks like a good addition.
The brand is costway. It’s made to work in the counter or you can install it. I wasn’t sure how well it was going to work so I didn’t want to spend the big bucks on the Fisher type brands that are 700 bucks or more.

https://m.costway.com/6-place-setting-countertop-or-built-in-dishwasher-machine-with-5-programs.html
Old 06-05-2023, 03:42 AM   #56

THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemate View Post
I am with you on the dishwasher....I love ours....and when we sold the oven it payed for it....
Oh yeah I don’t know that I would ever not have one now in an RV
Old 06-07-2023, 10:42 AM   #57

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
On my Class C I ripped out the factory cabover bed and storage so I had a completely flat surface. Put in a 6 inch foam bed-in-a-box. There was extra space at the head and foot of the bed so I added some open storage. Used steel diamond plate to cover the cutout gap over the cab.

A little more comfortable when we use it with the slide in. 4-5 times last trip we had high winds due to severe storms and dust storms so we left the slide in and slept on the top bunk. Grandson claims it as his space now.
Old 06-10-2023, 04:40 PM   #58

State: New York
THOR #21937
Quote:
The Duck gave me some Use Cases for hitch in the front. I follow the hitch in front now. On the no ACs, you were right; at least one person ME; don't like your Mod to remove both ACs

I did a quick search and the Average temp in Rochester NY is 71 with a high of 80 and low of 63 in July. I will take that too and don't need ACs at 80 degrees. Truth be told if I lived up there, I might remove one AC and add a Electric Furnace as a second heater to go with the gas heater.

Thanks for the followup, you got my respect. I am just a softy I guess, so I just marvel at the thought. I am the guy that walked from several very good RV deals because they only had one 15k BTU AC. But they were very good deals here in Texas for a reason
The thing I really like and appreciate about this forum is that we can have honest differences of opinion and still be respectful. I get that some of my mods leave other people scratching their heads. But they work for my purposes, which are likely utterly different from "your" (i.e. anyone else's) purposes.

Seeing and reading about a few of the mods is enlightening. Good idea fertilizer.
JeffThor325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 05:28 PM   #59

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:

Well AC mod folks. Do not go to Arizona or New Mexico ..you may not survive
Old 06-10-2023, 07:53 PM   #60

THOR #2121
The combination of temperature, humidity and sun in South Florida around the Everglades probably feels just as uncomfortable in summer. And it doesn’t naturally cool off at night like in the desert. Most people survived without air conditioning 50 years ago.

I’m not for eliminating RV air conditioning completely, but think sometimes there are advantages to having less installed capacity.