Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2019, 01:30 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Outlaw 38RE
State: West Virginia
THOR #17154
12v conversion / adaptor for CPAP

I use a CPAP and would like to run it on 12v. Anyone have an adaptor for it and recommendations?

I see a bunch online that have cigarette lighter plugs and alligator clips.
My outlaw has a USB plug near the bed and I’d like to plug into that.

Good Sam member
FMCA member
WearyTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:14 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I have not seen a CPAP/BPAP that can run off the 5V/2.1 Amp (at best) power of a USB plug. A lot of manufacturers have a 12 V Cigarette lighter plug for the CPAP that replaces the 120 VAC brick cord, since the machine itself is actually a 12 VDC unit. Check with your machine's manufacturer. That is what I did with mine and I leave that 12 VDC cord in the coach all the time.

I did have to wire in the 12 VDC receptacle but that was easy enough as there are 12 VDC wires everywhere.

If your machine does not have a 12 VDC cord available you could always get a small 100 - 250 watt inverter and do the same thing. Look at the wattage capacity on your brick to see the maximum you will need.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 02:44 AM   #3

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
I bought a 200 watt inverter that runs off the 12 volt dash receptacle. I run an extension cord back to the bedroom. Not the handiest way to go about it but It worked in the last little MH and as we don’t boondocks that often it has worked. I have to hard wire something on a more permanent basis but we have more other pressing upgrades to take care of first.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 06:22 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
Quote:
Originally Posted by WearyTraveler View Post
I use a CPAP and would like to run it on 12v. Anyone have an adaptor for it and recommendations?

I see a bunch online that have cigarette lighter plugs and alligator clips.
My outlaw has a USB plug near the bed and I’d like to plug into that.
What's the power source for the USB? Is it part of a 120V outlet or standalone? If it's standalone it MAY be powered by 12 you could tap into easily.

The other issue might be the voltage the CPAP wants. My wife's runs on a 24 volt power supply so a small inverter is the easy solution.

Our coach had a 2000 watt inverter so we run the CPAP off the outlet for the bedroom TV. Unfortunately the outlets on the head of the bedside are not in the inverter circuit (yet).
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:03 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
Our MoHo came standard with a 12 volt "cigarette lighter" type outlet right next to the bed.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:56 PM   #6

State: British Columbia
THOR #12644
I do it 2 ways. I do have normal CPAP and my invertor does provide 12V to the bed plug when I am not plugged in. I also have a portable CPAP that is designed for travel and will run off a rechargable battery. The best thing you can do is dump the humidifier. That raises the current draw a lot.
Old 11-30-2019, 10:51 PM   #7

Model: Thor Outlaw 38RE
State: West Virginia
THOR #17154
Quote:
Originally Posted by telcoman View Post
I do it 2 ways. I do have normal CPAP and my invertor does provide 12V to the bed plug when I am not plugged in. I also have a portable CPAP that is designed for travel and will run off a rechargable battery. The best thing you can do is dump the humidifier. That raises the current draw a lot.
I currently plug mine into the 120v outlet in the bed frame and run on shore power.

When we were driving her home this month and staying at WMs I just slept without.

I need to find the portable solution. Is your solution a regular cpap that plugs into a rechargeable battery?
Good Sam member
FMCA member
WearyTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 11:11 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
I currently plug mine into the 120v outlet in the bed frame and run on shore power.

When we were driving her home this month and staying at WMs I just slept without.

I need to find the portable solution. Is your solution a regular cpap that plugs into a rechargeable battery?
If you want a simple portable solution for almost any CPAP just get this:

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Flas...e%2C178&sr=1-6

Actually, it may not power your CPAP all night, you may need one with more capacity, check your CPAP power requirements.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 11:41 PM   #9

THOR #12644
Quote:

This is the one I have: https://www.cpap.com/productpage/res...l-cpap-machine

The mask is not compatible with other CPAP'S and its a little noisier (Mask noise) than my main one, but its great for travel
Old 12-04-2019, 07:52 PM   #10

State: Alberta
THOR #12493
Cpap

We use a 12 volt battery with an inverter and store battery, inverter and charger under the bed. We run two CPAPs off one battery and it’s good for two nights.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:44 PM   #11

Model: 25.4
State: California
THOR #7440
I put in a 12 volt cigarette lighter adapter next to my bed for a CPAP machine, the VA gives me a new CPAP machine about every 2 1/2 years and I always ask for the 12 volt adapter kit for the new one and put the old machine in the motorhome and leave it, I did run a pair of 10 gauge wires from the batteries under the step with a 30 amp breaker and through all the back of the cabinets with all the rest of the electrical on the right side, all the old people I know now use a CPAP,
Old 12-05-2019, 06:11 AM   #12

THOR #2763
I have a Medistrom CPAP battery, which is quite small but I find it only works for one night and maybe half of a second night before you have to charge it up. As noted above, the humidifier and air tube heater in your machine suck up a lot of power and need to be disabled when running off a battery. I also have one of those larger portable battery backup units (a Yeti 400) in my rig, and it will run my CPAP for a couple of nights easily. Between the Medistrom and the Yeti, I can boondock for a few nights without worrying about being without my CPAP.