Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2016, 02:20 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29m
State: Colorado
THOR #3679
Besides camping - what have you done with your Motorhome

Multiple uses for motorhomes

Besides storing or tinkering with your rig..... what fun activities have you done with your RV besides camping. Let's hear it!

We park ours in a field/parking lot on the Fourth of July to watch firework displays and invite friends over for a patriotic tailgate party.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:29 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
To attend local cycling events. Makes it nice for changing after event, get cool drinks, some food, etc...

While maybe not a fun "activity", we also used it to move the youngest to college.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:32 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
So far, besides camping, we've used it for:
  • Tailgating my sons baseball games--twice, both times for double headers; we had a cookout for the team after the 2nd game
  • Long drives: One year we used it to drive to FL and back. Once we got there we stayed with my parents and just parked it. It made for a much less stressful drive than cramming the 3 of us into a Focus (something we did the year before)
  • As a bus: driving my son and a bunch of his friends around

I usually look for opportunities to use the RV when I can; even mundane things "hey we can use the RV for that and be much more comfortable"
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:38 AM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
As a cool down location during day long visits to the local amusement park.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:31 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
We use ours for tailgating NFL games and we have also used it as a portable hotel for visiting family (parking in the yard and sleeping in it) and as a "war wagon" for paintball games (off the field, off course.)
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:47 PM   #6

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Our family has a number of very young kids and some very senior citizens - DW's mom is 95 and was a member of the Womens Army Corp (WAC) in WWII. She loves time with the little ones. We take our motorhome to the Fort Knox FamCamp for a family reunion of sorts for events like Easter, Mothers's Day, birthdays, etc. The FamCamp is very accommodating for the most part. We setup in the fringe areas for cookouts, Easter Egg hunts, playground time and lots of Great-Great Grandma time with the kids. Often cook 3 lbs of hotdogs/brats and 40-50 hamburgers. Our coach has become a real facilitator for our whole family - often with upwards of 50 in attendance. (Note: bathroom facilities are very close).

Couldn't think of a better use after we travel 2 months a year with many of our great and grandkids.

Oh yeah, living in Key West for 2-3 months a year is pretty special also.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:30 PM   #7

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Florida
THOR #2154
NASCAR races, of course! Wife and I have been to 14 different tracks now; 12 of which we used the RV for. Most times it's for a very long weekend with lots of races and other side events to take in, and there are always a lot of "interesting" people to meet. Usually expensive though, especially since you're paying for a spot in a vacant field and within arms-length of your neighbors. Generators run all night even though it's almost always against the rules, but at least that drowns out the noise of countless all-night parties.

Did I mention it's a lot of fun?
Old 06-21-2016, 03:01 PM   #8

Model: Windsport 29m
State: Colorado
THOR #3679
Thanks - those all are some great uses and fodder for me to think about.

We also have also used ours for a second kitchen on Thanksgiving, and for a more elegant afternoon picnic.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:53 PM   #9

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Skipper,

Did two birds with one stone.

In Asheville exit 55 there is a Campground "Taps RV Park" run by a Veteran and very near the Asheville VA Hospital. It is a nice little Campground.

Just two blocks before the Park is American Legion Post 526 that operates, in conjunction with a local church, a Veterans Home to help homeless Veterans get back into life and the work force. They are in need of nice work clothes, dress shirts, pants, sports coats, dresses and the like.

So when we visit the Asheville area we stay at the Taps RV Park if available and stop off at Post 526 and take clothing donations (from friends, employees and home) for the Veterans there.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:48 PM   #10

Model: A.C.E 29.3
THOR #2954
We live near the beach (0.5 miles) so we get lots of family visitors. We have many times used the RV as a guest apartment.

We also used the RV for school functions. Our son did indoor drumline and we would take him and a few band mates to the competitions (some are several hours away). We usually had to hit the road quite early, so it is great to be able to take a nap between performances. Having food other than snack bar hotdogs was nice as well. Our last child just graduated so we are done with the school trips now -- whoo hoo.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:12 AM   #11

Model: Hurricane 30q
State: Ontario
THOR #4175
Use ours to transport my parents (90 years old 89) to a summer get away. Good to have fridge and bathroom close by.

Jim
Old 07-05-2016, 01:31 AM   #12

Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
My wife loves to go to outlet malls, me...not so much. I take her and then stay in the coach with my dog and watch TV and read in comfort as she shops.

At the end of the day it makes us both happy.

Phil
Old 07-05-2016, 02:13 AM   #13

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Louisiana
THOR #2073
My wifes and I decision to purchase our "Second Home" was we had to use it at least 2 times/weekends a month, and we use it more than we imagined...

1) Hurricane evacuation plan.

Anyone who has had to deal with fleeing from an impending storm can relate. After having issues finding a hotel/motel room in a days notice that will take pets when a mandatory evacuation is given. Then dealing with the traffic and being on the road for 7-8 hours with kids/pets is a feat in iteself. So this IS our hurricane evacuation plan. Where we stop, nobody knows!
(Ironically, our last coach was a Hurricane!)

2) Mardi Gras/Holiday Parades

We have a song here that describes not finding a place to "Pee" on Mardi Gras day. So we boondock on the parade routes. Now we have a place where our friends and family can gather.

3) Production Crew Green room

I rent sound and lighting to Fairs/Festivals and for events, so I use my RV so my crew and I can hold meetings, have some down time and cool off on hot event days.

4) Baseball Tournaments

Its a lifesaver especially when games are played early in the morning and late in the evening. As someone stated before, we cooked lunch for the team, had a wonderful day of it.
Montz, Louisiana
The Guidrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:25 AM   #14

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I occaisonally use it as an extra bedroom for guests. I do have an extra bedroom in the house. But if my friends bring kids, they get the RV.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:44 AM   #15
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Tailgating at baseball games.
Kev
Old 09-04-2016, 10:19 AM   #16

Model: FE22 (traded)
State: North Carolina
THOR #4681
The family, 2 dogs a 14 month old grand daughter, daughter and wife, have all crammed into a car for the long trip from NC to ME to see the parental units a couple of times. One of the biggest decisions in purchasing a class c was the fact that we wouldn't be in each others faces and personal space to the point of wanting to be ex-communicated from the family on these trips. We're so excited for this trip!! Going to park the rig at a friends house and use that as a central point to visit from. Heck...having to board the dogs for a week would cost us way over a couple of hundred dollars alone. This decision was a no brainer!
Old 09-04-2016, 12:27 PM   #17

Model: 2015 vegas 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #1448
When at home, it's plugged in, sitting in the driveway. We put the dogs in it with the air conditioner ( or heat) running when we have people working on the house. That way, the workers aren't being harrassed by the dogs.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:07 PM   #18

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
We did Fourth of July in Bass Pro parking lot on Illinois River for the fireworks. Cooked out with friends and had great time. Being retired I spend a lot of time piddling with the RV, it amuses DW.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:23 PM   #19

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: California
THOR #3016
Haven't done it yet, but we have a reservation for a front-row parking place for the 2017 Rose Parade. Rain or shine, we'll be able to see the parade with a super vantage point. I've been to the Parade dozens of times, mostly playing tour guide for out-of-town friends, but have never paid the $$ to take the rig. We're really looking forward to it!
Old 09-04-2016, 03:10 PM   #20

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
Go on day trips with dogs.