Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2021, 01:31 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
I see a business opportunity here - another adapter for us to carry!

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 06:12 PM   #22

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
State: California
THOR #3559
RV parks and campgrounds on California's central coast are already booked up. This will be a busy summer every where as we all are tired of staying home. Retirement definitely means more flexibility for reservations with less traffic and quieter parks due to mostly "old people" taking up space. We leave the holidays and weekends for the working families who need a break and do most of our traveling Sunday through Friday.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:26 PM   #23

Model: Synergy 24MB
State: Arizona
THOR #5093
Summer reservations

We have a trip planned in July-August with the 12 yo granddaughter.
North Rim Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Little Big Horn, Theodore Roosevelt NP, Badlands NP, Custer SP, Devils Tower, Denver (to fly her back to Ohio), then maybe a week in Colorado somewhere.
We have reservations everywhere, some in NP and some in RV resorts. You have to be persistent making reservations. Keep calling. We were on a first name bases with the Yellowstone folks and it paid off! Five nights in a 40 ft site in two campgrounds. We had 2 nights booked at the North Rim and wanted 3. A few weeks later 3 nights became available. People cancel all the time.
Good luck!

Kathy
2014 Corolla
KathyBrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 07:04 PM   #24

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
My plan this year was to minimize boondocking and have reservations. apparently based on early checks and finding most of our favorite places already booked solid we will be spending some nights in the overflow waiting for a site to open up

If I were a young fellow I would invest in an RV park/resort

Seems to be a sure fire thing for many years to come. Lots of new RV's on the road and many more baby boomers yet to retire
Old 03-17-2021, 08:31 PM   #25

State: Virginia
THOR #21305
Quote:
Originally Posted by ador View Post
He have a 3 week approved vacation coming up end of June to first 2 weeks of July. No plans yet as to where we are going. Right now, we are 50/50 on flying overseas to celebrate my 50th birthday with some relatives and friends. But with the Covid still a travel concern, we might just travel within the US. Will have a final decision made as to where we are heading by the end of this month. Really want to drive to Maine and back. Stop at some interesting places in between. I know it is a lot of driving for just 3 weeks. But I really don't mind. I hope we will not encounter booking problems when we start making reservations.

We booked our MAine trip in Jan and had trouble finding spots in Acadia and Cape Cod in August. Good luck!
Old 03-17-2021, 08:37 PM   #26

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
We started booking our reservations. We have one in Tennessee at Loretta Lyn's R V Campground on July 01. We have the next two nights booked at Branson Missouri. I still have to book 5 stops from Calif to Kentucky on the road and then 7 nights in Kentucky. Once we leave Branson, we plan on stopping where ever we end up each night coming back to California. Should be a great trip.

Paul
Old 03-17-2021, 08:44 PM   #27
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If you're coming that far east: we're about a day's drive North from Lorwtta Lynn's.
Old 03-17-2021, 08:47 PM   #28

Model: Windsport 35C
State: Indiana
THOR #16561
Reservations

Last summer the three major holidays were difficult to find a space. The 4th we ended up at a private campground in Michigan with only 30 amp available and not an RV Resort, well maybe last resort.. We had started looking in March which normally should be early enough.

Back in 2002 when I retired the first time after 30 years with Cummins, we traveled for two years without a reservation anywhere.
Doubt we will ever see it that open again.

When I retire for the third time we will focus more on boondocking as we enjoy riding the sxs's from Glamis dunes to the Hatfield McCoy trails in West Virginia.

Note to self, quit marrying younger women.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:01 PM   #29

Model: 2015 ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4359
My wife and I where starting to discuses and plan next years summer trip ....i haven't even started my spring and summer trips for this years ... we are trying to book 9 months in advance in order to get the sites and places we like....we booked Mrytle Beach over Christmas for this year when we were down there this past year....good luck.....
Old 03-17-2021, 09:35 PM   #30

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Oregon
THOR #2766
We usually make a few summer reservations in January at local state campgrounds (Oregon). A couple of years ago I asked our son to make a 10 day reservation for us at Camp Pendleton or on the Silver Strand at Coronado. He is active duty Navy so he is able to make the reservations earlier than I can (retired Navy). In any case, for quick get away for a weekend or three day weekend we find places before Memorial Day or after Labor Day. Then the Oregon Coast becomes a ghost town and there are plenty of spots.
Old 03-17-2021, 10:02 PM   #31

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
Hi Bob
Unfortunately we have reservations the next two days after Loretta Lynn's in Branson Missouri on our way back west.

Paul
Old 03-18-2021, 12:44 AM   #32

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
There are 18 acres thats been for sale for a long time in my neighborhood. I've always believed that piece of land would be awesome for an RV campground. It is right near the junction of Route 40 and 81, and about a half hour or so from Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. It is almost exactly two miles from the ramp off of Highway 40, with gas stations and Walmart nearby. It's between two very nice subdivisions with HOA's, but I do believe it is private property. If I had spare change for investing, I would be on it in an instant.
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 06:28 AM   #33

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Hi TSTS,
We'll be crossing routes-we live in Utah but vacation often just North of Yellowstone.

Moab was made for Jeeps-you'll love it!
Gary

GVP
Old 03-18-2021, 12:25 PM   #34

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
There are 18 acres thats been for sale for a long time in my neighborhood. I've always believed that piece of land would be awesome for an RV campground. It is right near the junction of Route 40 and 81, and about a half hour or so from Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. It is almost exactly two miles from the ramp off of Highway 40, with gas stations and Walmart nearby. It's between two very nice subdivisions with HOA's, but I do believe it is private property. If I had spare change for investing, I would be on it in an instant.
I believe you mean I-40 and I-81 and not Route 40 and 81. I live about 25 miles West of the I-40/I-81 junction and yes a campground there should be a good investment. Technically that is the southern termination of I-81. My wife and I consider driving up I-81 to be one of the most scenic Interstate drives, especially when you get into Virginia and Pennsylvania. If you make the drive in October when the fall colors are on display it is awesome.

Bob
Old 03-18-2021, 12:56 PM   #35
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
What if we took up a collection in here and bought ut?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 02:37 PM   #36

Model: 24FE
State: Illinois
THOR #16593
Yellowstone

We finished booking our Yellowstone trip about three weeks ago. We feel lucky getting it all finished since we booked starting late. We usually start booking our trips in early Feb.

John
Old 03-28-2021, 01:11 PM   #37
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
We received a phone call from a campground where we booked a reservation 2 months ago. Based on the high demand for RV sites during our visit they are requiring full payment up front. If we do not submit payment by the date requested our reservation will be canceled. This camp ground does not accept any credit cards.

This is the first time we have ever encountered this type of situation.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 01:37 PM   #38

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Better have your reservations booked.... or good luck!

I have been encountering some of this myself now too. I don’t like cash upfront because there is no recourse if they close up shop, etc.

We are slightly worried about getting into Glacier NP in late August now. We booked the KOA back in January but my wife read they are considering selling tickets in advance for the Going to the Sun Road. Between construction and all the new “happy campers” they may do it to curb traffic backups this year. They said it was very bad last year before they closed the east entrance because of COVID and attendance was down.

Now we have to hope we can get tickets on the dates we have the campground reservation.
Old 03-28-2021, 01:48 PM   #39
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I wonder how long it will be before we start having bidding wars for prime location campgrounds with sites for prime dates selling to the highest bidder at auction.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 01:58 PM   #40

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Would not surprise me if the campground you booked has people offering to pay more to try and get it now.

So in order for the owners not to feel like complete dirt-bags, they decided on the “pay cash in full now or lose your reservation” policy. Then if some people dont meet their new demands, they can charge more for the open spots.