Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2021, 07:15 PM   #81

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
From Drag Racing to Enduro

Makes it out and back...

Old 06-06-2021, 07:42 PM   #82
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Excellent video!
It ain't natural: but it's still pretty cool...
Old 06-06-2021, 08:27 PM   #83

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Head out to Montana..just did 3 days at Parkside campground..creek, lake fishing hiking biking 80% shade 12 miles south of Amazing RED LODGE $37 total
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 06:30 PM   #84

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Head out to Montana..just did 3 days at Parkside campground..creek, lake fishing hiking biking 80% shade 12 miles south of Amazing RED LODGE $37 total

It's only group camping? Are you with a group or can you stay anyway? I always steered clear because I thought you had to be part of a group to stay in those places.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/cust...60829&actid=29

If you're headed out of there on 212 S, those springs and sway bars better be in top form...just sayin'
Old 06-07-2021, 08:09 PM   #85

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I was talking to my local Discount Tire Store Manage about a Goodyear Spare tire and he was telling me that they are working on a plan to rollout capability to service RVs in the near future

I bought my spare tire from Goodyear Commercial though because I am Net Now Today kind of guy
My Big O store does RV's. They had to trouble mounting my two Sumitomo ST918 TL14 133 on the front axle in the parking lot. Mounted balanced and tax for $290.00 each. I had a slow shoulder leak in one of the rear tires, so I had them move one of the fronts to the rear and bought another ST918 to go with my spare on the front. I kept one of the still good Goodyears as my spare. I am due four new tires on the rear next year (7 years old).
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:40 PM   #86

State: New Hampshire
THOR #1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Party of 5 View Post
I am one of the newbies, retired July 31! We'll look to do most of our trips in the off season and during the week to avoid the crowds. Going to start with local trips on the west coast to break in the rig, once we officially take the keys of course. Are the RV clubs that offer discounts and Rving worth joining? Any one or better than the other? And are there some not worth the money??
Look into Harvest Host. lot's of places to stay for a night free. We been a member for two years.
Old 07-02-2021, 04:04 PM   #87
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
We are close to completing the outbound leg of our trip and found that changing plans going out has been more difficult than changing plans heading back. Yesterday we changed about 1500 miles of the trip and had not problems with making reservations as long as we were a day or two flexible on either end.

This is the overview of the trip we are on. 66 days and over 5500 miles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WY Trip Map.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	31775
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 10:47 AM   #88

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
We're up in the western North Carolina mountains, Maggie Valley area, for a few days escaping the LA, Lower Alabama, weather and humidity. We drove around down through Cherokee and the campgrounds looked packed. One campground in the Smoky Mtn park near Cherokee had some opening but fairly full. We got on the Blue Ridge Parkway at Cherokee and drove to Waynesville and almost empty. Actually a very relaxing drive. Heading up towards Boone area, Newland actually but have reservations. Having in the past traveled in a 40' DP and 40' TH we are in there habit of planning and making reservations. As many said, traveling on the fly better include Walmart/truck stops etc. as alternates.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 12:45 PM   #89

Model: Ace 30.4
State: Montana
THOR #13156
Parkside is a great camping area we live only 60 miles from there .Hope you went over Beartooth hi way . and cooke city entrance to yellowstone. In winter you can snowmobile that same hi way a little tough ride. I did it one time. glad you had a good time in the great state of montana.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:25 PM   #90
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
We started booking our reservations. We have one in Tennessee at Loretta Lyn's R V Campground on July 01. We have the next two nights booked at Branson Missouri. I still have to book 5 stops from Calif to Kentucky on the road and then 7 nights in Kentucky. Once we leave Branson, we plan on stopping where ever we end up each night coming back to California. Should be a great trip.

Paul
We spent six nights in Branson and it was not long enough. We will be back.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:09 PM   #91

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
Was at Cheaha SP in Alabama earlier and it was full on the weekend but lots of sites during the week. Right now I'm in Florida and there's lots of empty sites at most of the parks I've passed. It all depends on where and when...
Old 07-29-2021, 07:12 PM   #92

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
. Right now I'm in Florida and there's lots of empty sites at most of the parks I've passed. It all depends on where and when...
Florida (at least most of it) is not where most people want to be camping in the summer time. That is why the campgrounds are empty. Not the case in the late fall through spring.

I live in Florida and come north for the summer months and we travel in then northern half of the country during the summer... although parts of the west and upper midwest are hotter than blazes right now.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:22 PM   #93

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
We spent six nights in Branson and it was not long enough. We will be back.
Branson has several major attractions under construction at this moment in addition to the dozen or so added the past few years

Great place to visit and if your a golfer it is heaven for sure

Lots of things for everyone and a beautiful place

We have had a second home there for many years and it has been interesting watching the change and growth of the area

The recent Johnny Morris attractions and gold courses are top of the line and one is Top of the Rock

The strip has many new attractions open as well as more coming so it will be come an even more popular place to visit and stay

At least a dozen RV parks which certainly helps
Old 07-29-2021, 10:03 PM   #94

Model: Chateau 26B
THOR #24288
Hello......I'm new to RVing (2021 Thor Chateau 26B)......how many months in ADVANCE should I be looking to make any reservations anywhere close to National Parks. Very frustrating....looks like everything is booked for many months in advance. I am fully retired and very flexible with time frames.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:16 PM   #95
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasanchez View Post
Hello......I'm new to RVing (2021 Thor Chateau 26B)......how many months in ADVANCE should I be looking to make any reservations anywhere close to National Parks. Very frustrating....looks like everything is booked for many months in advance. I am fully retired and very flexible with time frames.
One year.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:18 PM   #96

Model: Chateau 26B
THOR #24288
My goodness! So finding an RV park within a relatively close proximity (not within the actual NP) may be the way to go?
Old 07-29-2021, 10:25 PM   #97
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
My goodness! So finding an RV park within a relatively close proximity (not within the actual NP) may be the way to go?
Yep and book it one year in advance. For our July trip we started making reservations in December and some places were already sold out.

We are on our return leg now and having to adjust due to 2 mechanical breakdowns and our itinerary and schedule had to undergo massive changers based on campground availability. It is rough finding spots with just a feed days notice.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:47 PM   #98

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Our ninth day on the road today.
We saw more vehicles going our way today than any of the last five days.
Three of them in 120miles.
One was a chateaux rv I let get in front if me at a yield sign in town.
60 to 45 to 60 to 45...in a 70mph zone(and her fullside slide was open about 4 inches), a Buick I followed for 30 miles or so, and we were passed by a pick up.
Miles City wy to Dickinson nd.

Didn't make a reservation anywhere because we don't know where we're going until we flip a coin at a crossroads. Call them at noonish, stop there at 4ish.

None of our travels have involved Yellowstone or other such. It has included many national forests and grasslands.
We've crossed interstate hiways but have only put 9 miles on them the whole trip.

Last night we were on many acres with 4 rvs, tonight we're on about 3 acres with 3 rv's.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 11:01 PM   #99

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
We planned a trip a year ago for late August to early October hitting Teddy Roosevelt NP, Galcier NP, Yellowstone NP, Tetons NP, Mount Rushmore and the Badlands. We booked our campgrounds in January this year.

We have already started booking for next year. We have booked a KOA for the Albuquerque Balloon Festival in October 2022.

We are also planning a trip to Alaska in 2023 and already booked a reservation in a caravan. The one we want is already booked for 2022.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:06 PM   #100

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
A note:
You might try the cheapest motel in the area near Yellowstone and Niagara and such, and then just stay in their parking lot.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote