Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2018, 08:19 AM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
you say that 'nothing work when on just the battery', but I suppose you are referring to no OUTLETS working, as they are 120v.... so, yes, you are correct, UNLESS you have an Inverter, which is the exact job of the inverter - it 'inverts' 12v power from the house battery(s) into 120v to be used by devices and appliances that you plug in to outlet.

Inverters in RVs can be wired either as a 'stand alone' inverter, which is that it is attached to your house battery(s) and then you plug into it anything you want it to power...or,
it is wired as a 'built in' inverter, which is that it is attached permanently to your house battery(s), and it's power is fed to a certain Circuit Breaker, or set of breakers, within your Main electrical panel, giving you power to some, or all, or your household Outlets.

If you want to easily have 120v power when you are not plugged into Shore Power, or on the Generator, then you can find an 'off the shelf' Power Inverter, usually found in the battery/tire section of W*mt or auto part stores. It attaches with alligator clips, or via a 12v live outlet(cigarette type), and then you can plug in whatever you wish to provide power to - whether TVs, satellite receivers, computers, device chargers, fans, etc.

enjoy!

TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 03:32 PM   #62

State: New Hampshire
THOR #12937
house batteries

Thanks for the explanation. Very helpful.

On the batteries, sorry I should have been more descriptive, I was going off some of the other posts.

When I say nothing is working, I mean nothing that according to some posts I see should be able to work off the battery. The monitoring area where you can check for propane, gray and black water levels, etc., does not work, as a result the water pump does not work, none of the inside lights work, the refrigerator does not work even when set to propane. The batteries seem to be fully charged and I put a load tester on them. The button to turn on the generator is also in that same monitoring area, and it works to turn on the generator and once the generator is on, or if it is plugged in, every thing works fine.

Do I have some battery problem somewhere, and if so any idea what, or is that how it is supposed to be?
Old 09-03-2018, 03:49 PM   #63

THOR #4735
Exclamation

sounds like you have switched off the 12v main cutoff switch, or some call the 'salesman's switch', usually located near the entrance/door. Down is usually OFF, Up is usually ON, meaning all the 12v items will be operational from the batteries.

if not, there might also be one near the battery location.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:56 PM   #64

THOR #12937
Thanks and sorry again for the rookie forum posting mistake. I should have said that the use switch is on. I know this because it has a Jensen JRV212T radio/camera monitor in the front dash that quit working on the way home from the dealer. It went completely dead. I pull the fuse on the radio and put it back in and then hit the use/disconnect and it lights up, still does not work, but it has a blue light around it now and static from the speakers. If I hit the disconnect switch that turns off. There are also two switches underneath that radio, and when I push them down little blue lights come on above them that give me a two voltage readings that I assume are for the house batteries.

So apparently the house batteries are powering those small things, just not the other things that I see in some posts that they are supposed to power. When I first picked it up, and everything was dead inside, I was told it was from the batteries being low on charge from sitting at the dealer while they fixed something, but now they are fully charged based on the load tester and still not operating those things I mentioned.

Any idea what it could be?
Old 09-03-2018, 06:01 PM   #65

THOR #4735
what ‘other things’ are you referring to?
Old 09-03-2018, 06:28 PM   #66

THOR #12937
The things I mentioned in the prior post. The montoring station where you push a button to check how much propsne, gray water, etc. does not light up and give me any readings, the water pump, the fridge when on propsne setting, interior over head lights, auto leveler, water heater, etc. Really nothing but the Jensen and the two voltage reading lights works on battery alone. It all works fine on generator or shore power.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:37 PM   #67

THOR #4735
if I can play 'Mr Diagnosis' here for a minute, I would suggest that what you might have is a '12v shut off' switch that is not working properly, but that's just an educated guess.

all the items, with the exception of the water heater, work off of 12v from the HOUSE batteries. The reason that propane items are not working, is that they require the 12v 'spark' to start.
The other items that you mention that DO work, are probably powered from the CHASSIS batteries.

You may have TWO 12v shut off switches, one for the HOUSE batteries, and one for the CHASSIS batteries. You may have shut both off, and now only have the Chassis switch back on.

just my guess, though.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:06 PM   #68

THOR #12937
Thanks. Did some research and discovered it is a breaker/relay type of issue in the BCC. For anyone else reading this down the road, for the Hurricane 32N the BCC in under the hood to the right, driver's side. Open that up and on the left hand side, you will see a small gray relay looking box. If it has a black button or tab sticking out of it, then it has tripped, and you need to push that black button/tab back in. That is what happened to mine and as soon as I did that, all is well.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:33 PM   #69
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Glad to hear that you found the solution!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote