Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2017, 06:16 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #7529
Brand new to RVing...need help with leveling

I just bought a Chateau 30D and it did not come with auto leveling jacks. What is the best way I can level and also limit some of the movement inside the RV?

Old 05-20-2017, 06:24 PM   #2

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvnovice View Post
I just bought a Chateau 30D and it did not come with auto leveling jacks. What is the best way I can level and also limit some of the movement inside the RV?
Do you have electric or hydraulic levelers at the 4 corners? If so where are the controls located?
Old 05-20-2017, 06:34 PM   #3

State: Texas
THOR #7529
To my knowledge no levelers on the coach
Old 05-20-2017, 06:56 PM   #4

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvnovice View Post
To my knowledge no levelers on the coach
What year is the coach? I have never seen a coach with no levelers at all and being 30' long.

Installing automated levelers at this point would be very expensive.

You can install an electric rear stabilizing system for $400 to $650 to stop the coach from bouncing or swaying when set up. They don't lift or "level" the coach. For that you need stronger levelers. You can also install these but the costs are much higher.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:28 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #6999
Send a message via Skype™ to sage
Many Class C motorhomes do not have a leveling system as standard equipment. And most Class B.

The first thing I purchased for our Vegas was a set of two stick on bubble levels. One went at the corner of overhead storage cabinet over the sink and the other is under the monitor panel at the entrance door. This way I can look over my right shoulder from the driver's seat and see both of them. Makes getting level a little bit easier.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:44 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
For our Axis I started out using the RV EZ Level. Just toss it on the floor and watch the flashy lights. I've since upgraded to the Level Mate Pro (although we haven't been camping with it yet).

For lifting/leveling I carry a bunch of Lynx Levelers (Amazon, I carry 30 of them). I use those to level the coach.

I've also installed some BAL Scissor jacks (Amazon) for stabilization, once I have the unit level with the Lego er Lynx blocks I'll drop the scissors to firm it up a little.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:09 PM   #7

THOR #6999
Jamie,

"once I have the unit level with the Lego er Lynx blocks I'll drop the scissors to firm it up a little."

This sounds like you've permanently attached the jacks to your frame. Is this correct? All four corners? And if so, where and how did you attach them?

I suffer from vertigo and the slightest motion of the coach causes me some distress. I find that setting the parking brake helps with this some but I've been thinking about a leveling system. But they're expensive and prone to problems. But your solution sounds workable.

Mike
Old 05-20-2017, 08:27 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage
This sounds like you've permanently attached the jacks to your frame. Is this correct? All four corners? And if so, where and how did you attach them?
Yup they are permanent. The place where we store our Axis also restores cars and they offer up their services to the RV owners there (not sure if they realized how busy they would be once they did that--tough to get on their schedule now ! LOL). I had them put the jacks on: They welded them to the frame.

You can see pictures of the jacks on our Axis in this thread: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...acks-6150.html

There still is a little shake with them down, but I've noticed that the more you crank them down the less shake there seems to be.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:04 PM   #9

THOR #6999
Well, I guess I know what my next investment in the Vegas is going to be. I've got a friend who lives four doors up the street from who's an iron monger. I'll have him do the welding. Could I ask you to send me the original jpg's of the mount points?

Mike
Old 05-26-2017, 12:43 AM   #10

Model: 25.4
State: California
THOR #7440
I bought a new Thor Axis 25.4, i asked the sales man about getting hydraulic leveling jacks installed, he said they have a shop that they send coaches out to have it done and they install the all electric units for about $7,000.00.

I am a retired heavy equipment mechanic so i decided to do it my self, I did the online research and settled on the HWH hydraulic kit for the Ford E-450 frame. They offered two units, joy stick control and the electronic control, i went with the more expensive electronic control and purchased it from Amazon for $3,600.00, freight was free. The instructions were very vague so i had to call the business to talk to some one in support, The front jack install requires removing the two storage compartments on both sides of the coach and drilling the frame just behind the spring hangers for the install, storage compartments are re installed. Front jacks went according to plan but the rear was a little more of a challenge, the mounting brackets mount on the out side of the frame and when the jacks are in the horziontal position they are just below the out side of the bottom of the frame, the generator will not allow this on the rear so the jacks must mount directly below the bottom center of the frame rail, i had to build a cross member using a length of 3 inch channel iron and mounting it flange down on the underside of the frame going left to right, i had to weld a 6 inch X 6 inch X 1/4 plate to the flanges of the 3 inch channel on both sides, this allowed me to mount the jack with out using the factory mounting brackets, when the rear jacks are up in the horzontial position they are directly underneath the center line of the frame rails. The pump control unit mounted in the right compartment just ahead of the right rear tires. the key pad control took the place of a drink holder on the left side of the drivers area, hoses and wiring harness are ready to go and after adding oil and cycling the unit a few times i was now free to just push a key pad and let the electronics level the coach all on its own. This is not a Kit for the week end DIY, but if you have a drill press, small welder and and some basic hand and power tools it can be done with out the added expense of having a shop do it for you.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:46 PM   #11

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I have thought about doing something like those scissors many times
or a "C-Jack"
even though not intended for MH, no reason it wouldn't help that I can think of....

I want it more for leveling though, than stabilization.... The primary reason I never did it was that i don't find that I have to level all that often, and I am really enjoying the simple set-up and take down of life in a MH. That would be one more thing to have to work on coming and going.