Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2022, 05:43 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: SV34
State: Arizona
THOR #24580
Tips for calming anxious pets - Doggie downers?

We have an 8 year old black Lab, Layla who has developed anxiety while traveling in our Class C. She will sit between us panting unable to relax, she just can't seem to get comfortable with it while underway and will not lay down and get settled. We have tried medication (Trazodone) from the vet and even CBD treats but she just can't get comfortable while under way. Once we get to our destination she calms down and is fine. We have taken her on multiple 2 - 3 hour trips thinking she will get used to it but we always have the same outcome with her getting stressed out to the max. Now when we take longer trips we leave her at the doggie ranch.

Short of having her take Brenda's seat and having Brenda ride in the back we are out of options. Anyone have a secret or any tips as to how to calm a Lab while on the road?

Ottosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 06:37 PM   #2

Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
We give our dog one Dramamine about an hour befor we hit the road.
Old 08-29-2022, 07:14 PM   #3

THOR #24580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Grampa View Post
We give our dog one Dramamine about an hour befor we hit the road.
Thanks GG - We’ll give it a try…. How many pounds is your dog?
Old 08-29-2022, 08:24 PM   #4

Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
60-65- pounds.
Old 08-29-2022, 10:25 PM   #5

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Our Westie had to be able to see out the front, then she would go to sleep
Old 08-29-2022, 10:49 PM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
They feel trapped in the back and can't see out like they can in a car or at home. Try elevating something on the sofa where she can see outside as she goes. Imagine a jaring, shaky Disney ride for yourself and not being able to see where you are going.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 12:46 AM   #7

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
We tried converting the dinette to a bed for in-transit family pets... our two (Marco, 75# '"Pittie" and JJ, 30# Boston) wouldn't have any of that! They both have to be up front close to us.

As an 8 week old puppy, Marco rode on my wife's lap. Four years later, at 75#, that's a little much. So now JJ rides on her lap while Marco sits/lays restlessly close to my driver seat within petting/patting range. Not an enjoyable ride, but they both LOVE the destination!!

Following...
Old 08-30-2022, 03:05 AM   #8

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I use this product, Bach RESCUE REMEDY PET Dropper 20mL, Natural Stress Relief, Calming for Dogs, Cats, and Other Pets. It is available on Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 04:13 AM   #9

Model: Four Winds 28Z
State: British Columbia
THOR #24984
we used a Thunder shirt for our Amercian shepherd. Prior to the shirt our poor dog would vomit and shake. as soon as we put the thunder shirt on her she stopped. Now she rides on the sofa and just chills. Amazing product
Old 08-30-2022, 02:55 PM   #10

THOR #24580
Thanks all for the tips - We'll try all of these or a combination until we get something that works. I agree that the biggest thing is probably that she can't see out the front or sides easily. I need to get her elevated so she has a good view. In our Jeep she has her hear out her window or sits looking out the front easily and she is never anxious in the Jeep even when off-roading on rocky/difficult trails.
Click image for larger version

Name:	CpointLaylaJeep.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	39303
Old 09-03-2022, 06:25 PM   #11

State: Georgia
THOR #13916
Try some doggie cbd oil drops
Old 09-03-2022, 06:38 PM   #12

State: Alabama
THOR #15026
Several things: there are calming chews that can be purchased at most Pet stores, thunder shirts work well too, you can also get a prescription from your Vet for Trazadone but definitely check out the dosage in a "trial attempt" prior to your trip. The original dose that was prescribed was too strong since I only wanted ROMEO "mellow" and not totally knocked out. I even tried cutting the "prescribed dose" in half and then asked for a lower dose pill and that worked better. I now have two strengths to work with and only use the stronger dose for really, really long trips. Usually I'm the one driving so ROMEO is my co-pilot (my husband drives his truck in front) and he feels "normal" since we use his same car seat. I now hang a thermal curtain just behind the two front seats to regulate the temperature because if the cab gets too hot he does still get nauseated no matter what else I do. Hope you find something that works because if you are like me, I can't imagine not bringing ROMEO camping with me.
Old 09-03-2022, 06:47 PM   #13

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #17538
Talk to your vet about trazadone dosage. we have a yellow lab with the same problem. our vet told us to go up to as much as three pills. the recommended 1 pill did nothing. we also tried dramamine with no luck
Old 11-27-2022, 08:54 PM   #14

Model: Chateau 22E
State: Michigan
THOR #28483
I must have the only Australian Shepherd who HATES to ride in a vehicle. He hasn't experienced the MH yet - we just got it. He's 3 years old, and was carefully raised to have a stable temperament - he's not afraid of ANY of the usual things that set dogs off like fireworks or thunderstorms

He happily jumps into the truck/car; and is fine until we get on the expressway. I have no clue why the higher speed makes him anxious, but he pants heavily and shakes. Doesn't matter which vehicle - the reaction is always the same.
We tried a "calming" supplement to no avail ("Composure" by Vetriscience) - finally got a prescription for chlorpromazine from our Vet. He has to take it an hour before the trip and it DOES help a bit. Our other dog - a 20# mini Aussiedoodle, just hops in and goes to sleep.

Maybe I'll try the Thunder Shirt + drugs.
Old 11-27-2022, 10:23 PM   #15

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
In our cars, Marco stands with front feet on the console and back feet on the back seat... "hunting" out the windshield. He will occasionally sit on the rear seat looking out the side window.

So I think his issue is not being able to see outside. I'm thinking of configuring a lightweight removable platform for him to sit/lay on between the seats. The things we do...
Old 11-28-2022, 05:02 PM   #16

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottosails View Post
We have an 8 year old black Lab, Layla who has developed anxiety while traveling in our Class C. She will sit between us panting unable to relax, she just can't seem to get comfortable with it while underway and will not lay down and get settled. We have tried medication (Trazodone) from the vet and even CBD treats but she just can't get comfortable while under way. Once we get to our destination she calms down and is fine. We have taken her on multiple 2 - 3 hour trips thinking she will get used to it but we always have the same outcome with her getting stressed out to the max. Now when we take longer trips we leave her at the doggie ranch.

Short of having her take Brenda's seat and having Brenda ride in the back we are out of options. Anyone have a secret or any tips as to how to calm a Lab while on the road?
I do not have a dog, but I am wondering about the little doggie window on class a motor homes. One reported use for the window is as a place where fido can see out, do your four-footed friends actually use the window? How many class a owners have a dog that uses the doggie window?

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 10:03 PM   #17
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
We have a pet window on our ACE. Our cat may use it on occasion when parked but always hides in the back when moving. Her preferred spot when parked is the left corner of the windshield on the dash between the curtain and glass.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 11:22 PM   #18

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
We have a pet window on our ACE. Our cat may use it on occasion when parked but always hides in the back when moving. Her preferred spot when parked is the left corner of the windshield on the dash between the curtain and glass.
Cats like the enclosed feeling between the curtain and the window. Years ago, while I was still living with my parents my sister had a 20# tom cat. This cat was not fat, he was all muscle and the size of a Bobcat. One of his favorite places between the curtain and the window in my room. Unfortunately, When I was sleeping, I became part of the route up to the window. Who here has ever had a 20# pet decide that you were a part of the furniture for use as a springboard?

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote