Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-22-2019, 09:14 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #4802
Back in the late '60's to early 70's, I was a patrol Sgt. with Jacksonville (FL) Sheriff's Office. Part of my sector included a section of I-10, roughly from the west side of town all the way west to the county line. I'd usually start my shift, riding out I-10. I was always amazed at the crap in the roadway. In particular, I found many hand tools; all sorts of hammers, wrenches, chains, saws, ladders, come alongs, wheel rims and tires, small engine blocks, assorted dead and dying animals, from coons & deer to bears, you name it. For most, there was no way of identifying ownership, so my tool boxes stayed well stocked.

Old 12-22-2019, 12:32 PM   #22

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Almost forgot about this one. Our grandson was visiting for the summer and I was dropping him off at daycare on my way to work. I was waiting at a red light to turn right when a beer truck went thru the intersection, hit a big dip, and his really nice and fairly new aluminum dolly came flying off the back. I stopped and picked up the dolly which only had a few scratches, no markings to let me return it, and the beer truck was long gone. Only thing that could have made this deal sweeter would have been for a few cases of beer to fall off with the dolly!
Old 12-22-2019, 05:22 PM   #23

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Almost forgot about this one. Our grandson was visiting for the summer and I was dropping him off at daycare on my way to work. I was waiting at a red light to turn right when a beer truck went thru the intersection, hit a big dip, and his really nice and fairly new aluminum dolly came flying off the back. I stopped and picked up the dolly which only had a few scratches, no markings to let me return it, and the beer truck was long gone. Only thing that could have made this deal sweeter would have been for a few cases of beer to fall off with the dolly!
Fat chance!
Old 12-24-2019, 03:34 AM   #24

Brand: Jayco
Model: Alante
State: West Virginia
THOR #5597
Went through Atlanta a few years back, DW said NEVER again!
Old 12-25-2019, 03:40 AM   #25

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Okay so this wasn’t left on road but it’s the craziest thing I have seen in a pickup. Years ago I lived in Phoenix and while on my way to work during rush hour on the 101 there was a truck cruising probably about 15 to 20mph that had a bed full of “workers”. Well low and behold the rear axle came off and the next thing you know there were about 5 guys all doing their best Superman impression. Luckily no one got hurt but it was a crazy sight to see.
Old 12-25-2019, 08:13 PM   #26

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #3169
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh😱
Old 12-25-2019, 08:32 PM   #27

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #13282
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Oh come on: we all know that the only thing you need to hold an old mattress to the roof of your car is your arm out the window hanging on!
Saw the mattress arm just yesterday lmbo
Old 12-25-2019, 08:36 PM   #28

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #13282
Exactly,
Saw a mini van with a Thule that had come unlatched ! Dam it people, add a flippin strap around it " just in case" A dash cam is so important these days. Good topic
Old 12-25-2019, 11:25 PM   #29

State: Ontario
THOR #17549
That was me and I was visiting
Old 12-26-2019, 12:11 AM   #30

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Oklahoma
THOR #2542
Friends from West Texas were making their way through OKC on I44 in their Dodge 1 ton dually pulling their 38’ 5th wheel and encountered a fire hose that fell from the back of an OKC fire truck. In heavy rush hour traffic they had no way to avoid the hose which wrapped around the left rear wheels severing brake lines and stopping their rig cold along with both northbound traffic lanes. All eventually ended well after a 3 day delay for repairs with a rental car all expenses paid by the OKC fire department.
Old 12-26-2019, 02:33 AM   #31

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by WearyTraveler View Post
On our way home from buying the RV last month we came upon a wheel barrow in the middle of our highway lane. It was after dusk and almost dark. We were doing about 70. My brother was driving and skillfully maneuvered onto the shoulder to avoid.

Yesterday on the first real trip with Ms. WT we almost hit an aluminum step latter. This time I was driving and luckily saw it in time to move into the shoulder.

Today when we started out there was a 2 foot piece of 6” by 6” just outside our lane.

Holy siht folks - secure your crap in your trucks!

I think the construction industry has it out for me. I’ll probably run across a table saw this week.

WAZE app for nav has saved me a couple times.....it will alert with "debris on the road" or "hazard ahead."
Old 12-26-2019, 03:19 AM   #32
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizB View Post
That was me and I was visiting
Welcome to the forum!
Old 12-26-2019, 01:15 PM   #33

THOR #10036
While going threw PA on the way home through a construction zone in my 30ft. Southwind the guy behind me started to blow his horn to pass. A truck had lost a tire cap and I had to hit it. It wiped out my waste tank . He was on my bumper and got a load of green crap all over his new truck.
Old 12-26-2019, 05:59 PM   #34

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar Ventana LE
State: Tennessee
THOR #16834
Okay, one for I-75/I-475 near Macon, GA. We were headed south on I-75 after sundown, so it was dark. I had seen a pickup truck go by with 4-5 of those round tables (about 6 feet across) laying upside down in the bed of the pickup. I noticed that since the tables were wider than the bed, they were laying at an angle. Several miles up the road we're driving in the right lane at 65 mph, not much traffic, and we see tables laying strewn over the lanes of the interstate and a pickup with 1 table parked by the side of the road. By the grace of God, there was no other traffic and I suddenly did a slalom course between tables (with toad). The guy was out of his truck running back to the smashed up tables and don't think anyone else had an accident. I think he just had the tables laying in the back, not tied down, and the wind picked them up and littered the highway. We got to our campground a few miles down the road. It could have been a real mess, damaging our MH and toad.
Old 12-26-2019, 06:03 PM   #35

Model: Aria 3901
State: Georgia
THOR #14364
Painters Ladder Expander

I had owned my RV 2019 Thor Aria 3901 7 days. Was bringing it home from the dealer and some fixes. First RV...scared anyway. Was going about 60 MPH on an interstate in GA. Saw something in the road...but a bit too late. Thought I could swerve to the left...a car. Thought I could swerve to the right...guard rail. Options were only to run over the thing in the passenger side of the road.

Better to have damage to the RV than running someone off the road or flipping the RV trying to avoid it. I did hit it but only heard a small thud and was hoping nothing was wrong. I got home and looked and two of the basement doors had been scratched badly with one dented. $1600 in damage which I didn't know at the time.

Went back the next day to the scene of the crime...it was a painters ladder extender that goes on the top of the ladder to allow for window painting. I was very glad for my decision as if I had run it over in the middle of the RV it could have done serious damage. I really got away better by hitting it with the tire which through it into the outside of the RV along the side.

Quite a way to start my RVing experience.
Old 12-27-2019, 06:08 AM   #36

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
Indiana route 65... Land of the retreads. Another vehicle kicked one up at night ( or, it may have just then peeled off ahead of us), and we both swore it was an animal running across the highway. Traffic on the right and left so we couldn't swerve much. It made an awful racket thumping and bumping along under the drivers side of the coach. Wrangler toad just said, 'meh'. Body shop had to replace both driver side fenders. Comprehensive paid only with an argument from me, as they kept calling it a 'stationary object' that we hit, stating they only cover under comprehensive if it's an animal. Unfortunately for them, I wouldn't buy that.
But... The FUNNIEST thing I've seen in the road...? A coconut. Sitting at a stoplight... made me laugh. An orange or apple wouldnt have been as funny.
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 02:54 AM   #37

Model: 28z
State: Idaho
THOR #1797
Really scary on a motorcycle, I came through Missoula Mt last summer and there was a guy with a old ford pinto with about a dozen sheets of sheet rock tied on his roof driving down interstate 90.
The best one was years ago driving down hwy 17 in Oakland Ca. I lookup and a Ca chp had pulled over a car and I guess he left it running and it slipped out of park and it was backing down the road across all three lanes in front of me as he was chasing it on foot.