Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2018, 08:26 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.2
State: Florida
THOR #11144
New at Motorhome camping

Well, we are new owners here and my wife are having a big discussion prior to our first outing in our motorhome. The question may be a simple one and after our first outing we will have all the answers but for now we need some guidance what others do for peace of mind....MINE. The topic revolves around what people do with all the gear they set up once they get all settled into their campsite. People put the awning out, some chairs, a nice ground cover of some sort, a table, a grill and who knows what. Well, my wife says EVERYTHING needs to be stored EVERY night and I'm thinking just the grill so critters don't have a nice gathering out there. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:29 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
If i take it out it stays there until its time to go home. Never had a problem with animals or theft. I do lock up my bikes

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:34 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
why in the world would you 'store' everything EVERY NIGHT? what's the purpose, fear??
Old 04-14-2018, 08:40 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds Sprinter 24HL
State: Colorado
THOR #11248
I have found that campers are the best people! I leave my stuff out and have never had a problem. Of course, you may want to lock up valuables such as ipads, computers, etc, but my experience has been that everyone just leaves everyone else's stuff alone.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:56 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
For the most part we leave everything out. We will typically slide the chairs under the coach before retiring for the night--this is more to avoid dew on the chairs than to prevent theft. Anything that can be damaged by moisture will be put away (that darn dew again, or it does rain sometimes LOL).

If we bring along bikes we'll usually lock them to a tree or the coach.

Everything else usually stays out (BBQ, tables, sometimes coffee makers, etc.).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:07 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Lots of good advice so far... we also leave most stuff out, putting chairs under the RV and bringing valuables (iPads, etc.) inside.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:39 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
Setting up the Campsite ( AKA:The Outside Living Room) would be too painful a process to completely store away every night. Most camping equipment will withstand the elements. We get up early and would make too much noise dragging stuff out. We should lock stuff up better than we do, but so far have never had anything stolen.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:13 AM   #8

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I agree with everyone's thoughts. Only thing I would add is I place the bicycles under the slide at night and cable them together. Keeps the dew or rain off the bikes without covering them.

I've been camping for over 50 years and never had anything stolen from my campsite.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:26 AM   #9

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Mississippi
THOR #10956
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
If i take it out it stays there until its time to go home. Never had a problem with animals or theft. I do lock up my bikes

Jerry
Same here. Unless you accidentally find yourself in a place you are unfortable, relax and enjoy. If you don't feel safe, pack up and move.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:56 AM   #10

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Must agree with all the comments so far. Would add that if you have the standard compartment key marked CH751, maybe half of the RVs have the same lock and key. Even if you replace with a different style lock, it is easy on most to pry most of them open quickly with a crowbar. So securly locking things in storage is an illusion.

That said, I have spoken with countless travelers with extensive combined experience and have never even heard of having things stolen from either a storage bay or a campsite.

If the Mrs wants something to worry about, tell her to make sure the awning is in every night and everytime you leave your RV for very long. Something you will always do AFTER you have had the first one blown away in a sudden storm. (Been there, learned that, won't have to be taught again!)
Old 04-15-2018, 02:09 AM   #11

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
I mostly agree with what others have said. Usually I leave my awning open. It is safely tied down and clipped on to the awning support so unless it is hit by a very strong wind it is not bothered, but I have gotten up in the middle of the night to close the awning.

Of course, if there was a rowdy bunch nearby I would probably be more cautious???
Old 04-15-2018, 02:45 AM   #12

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
The only place I put the grill away at night is in Yellowstone. Park regulations require that (bears). Other than that I try to make sure the wind isn't going to blow anything away, and go to bed. Never had an issue in 20 years.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:58 AM   #13

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
This is one of those things that you will know the very first time you stay at a campground. She will be able to look around and realize that no one puts everything away each night, unless maybe they are pulling out really early in the morning.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 01:04 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenbear View Post
I mostly agree with what others have said. Usually I leave my awning open. It is safely tied down and clipped on to the awning support so unless it is hit by a very strong wind it is not bothered, but I have gotten up in the middle of the night to close the awning.
The awning is my biggest concern... I pull it in at night: just in case!
But we don't normally clutter up a campsite with outside "stuff" anyway.
The Spyder gets covered up, and locked down: that's about it.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote