Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2019, 11:04 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A. C. E. 30.1
State: Indiana
THOR #1488
I am more of a pay attention to what I am doing type person. Add in the fact most of the time the windshield glare keeps me from seeing what is going on in the other coach. Not being unfriendly just not my thing, Jim.

Old 03-07-2019, 11:48 AM   #22

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
THOR #5196
I wave at everybody, some with my hand and some with just my finger!!!
Old 03-07-2019, 01:47 PM   #23

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
I wave at everybody, some with my hand and some with just my finger!!!
Oh, no you didnt just say that. LOL.

You must be hanging around Bob too much.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:51 PM   #24
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
They're all just letting him know that he's "Number One" in their hearts!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:26 PM   #25

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I think (causes me more problems that good) that the "expected and judgemental" wave by any other type "similar driver" is just an ego thing. It's like..."look at me...I'm cool...I have one too". Just put one of those spring loaded, waving hands on the window and let the vehicles wave at each other. Isn't it more about the vehicle and being "seen in it" than the person? And to get upset and take offense because someone doesn't wave back....really?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:32 PM   #26

THOR #5196
A few years ago I was on the interstate, driving about 65mph. A 45ft DP passed me doing about 75, he was pulling a large enclosed black trailer that had a large silver Mercedes emblem on the back.

After about a mile the DP slowed down to about 60mph, I eventually caught up and passed him courteously using my signals and allowing plenty of room before changing lanes. About a mile down the road the DP sped up and passed me again. Again, about a mile down the road he slowed again, again I passed him.

After about a mile here he came again, this is when I gave him a big, and quite vigorous one fingered wave. He disappeared over the horizon when he passed this time.

I truly believe in Karma and my belief was justified about 30-40 miles later, the DP was pulled over on the shoulder with a flat on his trailer, and it was just starting to rain!!!
Old 03-07-2019, 05:19 PM   #27

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I think (causes me more problems that good) that the "expected and judgemental" wave by any other type "similar driver" is just an ego thing. It's like..."look at me...I'm cool...I have one too". Just put one of those spring loaded, waving hands on the window and let the vehicles wave at each other. Isn't it more about the vehicle and being "seen in it" than the person? And to get upset and take offense because someone doesn't wave back....really?
I just think its nice.... Its kinda like a club (not Good Sams Club - lol) that we all belong to. I dont get upset if someone dont way back at me - I figured half the time they dont see me wave anyway.

This is the way I see it. An RV'er is more likely to pull over and help a Fellow RV'er than anyone Else driving around. I helped an older couple in a Sams Club parking lot hook up thier toad when it would not cooperate for them.

Just like I helped fellow Jeep'ers when Im driving my Jeep.

And my Harley Davidson riding brother (with his pony tail and tattoos) gets help from other bike riders that look like him.

I dont see it about being an ego thing at all. Just being frendly.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 03-07-2019, 05:21 PM   #28

THOR #12231
Quote:
A few years ago I was on the interstate, driving about 65mph. A 45ft DP passed me doing about 75, he was pulling a large enclosed black trailer that had a large silver Mercedes emblem on the back.

After about a mile the DP slowed down to about 60mph, I eventually caught up and passed him courteously using my signals and allowing plenty of room before changing lanes. About a mile down the road the DP sped up and passed me again. Again, about a mile down the road he slowed again, again I passed him.

After about a mile here he came again, this is when I gave him a big, and quite vigorous one fingered wave. He disappeared over the horizon when he passed this time.

I truly believe in Karma and my belief was justified about 30-40 miles later, the DP was pulled over on the shoulder with a flat on his trailer, and it was just starting to rain!!!
Yeah, That drives me crazy. Most of the time I have my cruise going (esp on my Car) so I know its not me speeding up and slowing down. Sometimes it goes back 3 or 4 times before I end up speeding up or slowing down to increase our gap.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:29 PM   #29
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1552001338
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	giphy.gif
Views:	154
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	16094  
Old 03-08-2019, 11:21 AM   #30

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Did you wave at him?
Old 03-08-2019, 11:23 AM   #31

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
When I am driving, safety on the road comes first, so if I see you wave and I do not wave back, my preoccupation of the road, a turn, or something is why I don't.
I do not look for others to be waving at me, just not thinking about it, but if I see you wave, I wave back.
Then that gets me to looking out to wave at you, then when you don't, well, let's just say it's not that big of a deal, lol.

I have been a motorcyclist for many years, still am, and generally always wave at other bikers on the road, unless I need both hands shifting gears, maybe turning, or sitting at a stop holding the clutch.

With all that said, I will say something about the "biker" wave, and look for those who reciprocate correctly.
For those on two wheels, it is with the left hand, two fingers pointed down like an upside down peace sign.
The meaning is a wish of good will representing: Keep two wheels on the road!

Not sure how to wave 6 fingers at the MotorHome drivers, maybe 5 on one hand and one on the other, just kidding!
Have a nice day,
Old 03-08-2019, 12:53 PM   #32
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Did you wave at him?
Wave?!?
Shoot: I threw him my wallet, and the Missus' pocketbook!
Old 03-08-2019, 01:09 PM   #33

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I think the funniest part of "The Wave" is when we slowly pass each other on the highway going the same direction. It's like a slow motion, as if you're sitting in the same room together. You start thinking..."why is she wearing plaid with stripes?"..."did you see the red with blue diamond collar on that dog sitting on the February issue of People Magazine on the brown part of the dash?". You finally get past them in relief...then, you hit a slight hill of resistance and have to start everything all over again...as if you've never seen them before.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 01:37 PM   #34
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
You've got eyes like an IRS Auditor...
Old 03-08-2019, 07:39 PM   #35

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: California
THOR #12839
I think the common thread for "wavers" is a sense of shared community and or happiness. I've always done it as a motorcyclist, a classic car owner and now with the RV (although admittedly not as often). When your on or in your "toy" and not your commuter car/truck going to/from work, you're in a better state of mind and acknowledging such with your fellow men & women who are also in their happy place (hopefully!)
Old 03-08-2019, 07:44 PM   #36
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I did the same as a biker...
Over 40 years of letting go of the left grip.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:58 PM   #37

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scDust View Post
When I am driving, safety on the road comes first, so if I see you wave and I do not wave back, my preoccupation of the road, a turn, or something is why I don't.
I do not look for others to be waving at me, just not thinking about it, but if I see you wave, I wave back.
Then that gets me to looking out to wave at you, then when you don't, well, let's just say it's not that big of a deal, lol.

I have been a motorcyclist for many years, still am, and generally always wave at other bikers on the road, unless I need both hands shifting gears, maybe turning, or sitting at a stop holding the clutch.

With all that said, I will say something about the "biker" wave, and look for those who reciprocate correctly.
For those on two wheels, it is with the left hand, two fingers pointed down like an upside down peace sign.

Not sure how to wave 6 fingers at the MotorHome drivers, maybe 5 on one hand and one on the other, just kidding!
Have a nice day,

Always thought that hand down wave was a Harley thing - or at least a cruiser thing. As a BMW and sport bike rider I do a little more energetic wave. Only occasionally wave in my RV.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:24 AM   #38

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Yeah I noticed that not many RV'er wave to me. I almost always wave to any RV (esp. MH's) the I see in time.

I was very suprized by this.

Or is it that some are waving but you can see them wave? I try to wave in the middle of the front windshield were the most light would be at so they can see it well (if they are looking for it).
I wave to folks comin the opposite way from me, if they see me they ususlly wave bavk. Sometimes they wave to me 1st, but I've found that if they're on the same side passin by me, I don't even see the passenger (let alone the driver) wavin till they're too far past to see my return wave... I was used to the hanging down low hand wave on motorcycles throughout the 70's & early 80's. I liked it. & I agree, it built camaraderie. Maybe we can work on buildin up the wave again for rv'ers? To me, the number of them on the road doesn't seem any greater than motorcycles. I just know I love seeing them out there & then realizing all over again how great it is that I'm out here too!
Old 03-10-2019, 02:26 AM   #39

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scDust View Post

Have a nice day,
lol![emoji39]
Old 03-16-2019, 07:11 PM   #40

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #6457
To wave or not to wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
After 40 years of riding motorcycles: I got used to waving to other riders.
As a Jeep enthusiast: I found that true Jeepers will also wave.
I noticed last Season, that a lot of folks in RVs will also wave.
But some do not...

Here are some possible explanations for why RVers might not answer a wave:

Why Don't more RVers Wave?

10. They're not sure if they should wave to all RVs, or just folks that
are in the same type as they are.
9. They were on the phone with the loan manager at the
bank; trying to work out how to pay for the new roof they
ordered.
8. The Sunlight reflecting off your windshield blinded them.
7. They were in the kitchen making coffee.
6. They haven't performed the "CHF" yet, and are afraid to
let go of the steering wheel.
5. They're in a diesel-pusher; and you're not.
4. They were watching their Toad start hopping around
behind them.
3. After fifteen hours of driving: they were napping.
2. They couldn't find the "Auto-Wave" button.
1. They were trying to figure out the best way to cross
Nebraska.
(Answer: asleep in the back of the rig!)
I have been on motorcycles for close to 50 years. I have and still do wave to all brands of bikes. Same with the motor-home We wave to all RV's. We need to show the others what brotherhood / sisterhood is all about. It has nothing to do with what you have, the cost, age or size.