Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-23-2020, 01:19 PM   #41

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Is your landline still a "real" line? (e.g. landline's can cost upwards of $70+/month).

If you make it a "soft" line (VOIP) you can reduce that cost down to something like $4/month--depending on how much use.

I just did this using https://voip.ms/ . Saving some $$. Now our "landline" just rings an app on my cellphone (regardless of where I'm at) instead of all the copper (and I have voicemail setup that e-mails me a .mp3 file of the voicemail, an outgoing message to deter sales people, scammers, etc.).

Yeah I sound like a sales person..nope don't work for them just recently did it as a cost save.
No it is not a real landline anymore, but we have had the same landline number for 30 years. We had before we got our mobile numbers.

We lucked into voip because I got ABSOLUTELY frustrated with the game Verizon was playing area year. One day like a madman I just cancelled everything. They would not do anything to help with all of the unwanted telemarketing calls. There process at the time to block a number took about 5 minutes as I had to log into my account every freaking time!!! Then I could only block 100 numbers with no reference as to who they were. Anyhooow Majicjack has feature that block these numbers, we don't get ANY Robo calls on our landline. If human you can still get in it if you following the random directions provided for each incoming call. It is about $30/year and I think I have paid out for like 5 years? It is really neat to be in RV and that phone is in kitchen like normal home. It impresses people covid visiting. Sometimes we have one landline inside and another outside as we have 6 phones. Even when traveling and on the road, if laptop is out, we can use the phones, but generally we use the mobiles then. It is important to me, because most all of my outgoing calls when possible is made from our landline number so as to help my mobile ID from showing up with various vendors and other places that love to send texts.

Feature of our Panasonic allows 2 mobiles to connect to the landline phone so effective it is like having 3 phones on a switchboard of sorts for the main phone. We get emailed .wav file for every recorded message. I can also switch to have landline send calls directly to one of the mobile phones but we never use that.

The https://voip.ms/ sounds similar and would be a backup option, as I will never ever go back to Verizon landline.

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:23 PM   #42

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
When I'm not in our Office: I don't want to hear a phone ring...
If one of us is in the RV, and needs to speak to the other: we use the microphone in the Eyenimal Pet Camera.
It is mainly for outgoing calls. It screens & speaks incoming call. All Robo calls never even ring they are silently stopped. We use Intercom all the time. Some folks text to each other in the same house while we call each other from the various rooms. It gets tricky because I may be ringing the wrong room But it beats putting my beer down and getting up off the sofa
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 10-23-2020, 01:57 PM   #43
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 02:39 PM   #44

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
When I retired we sold our house and moved into a small condo to facilitate our travel plans. There are lots of HOA rules and I’m generally supportive of them. We cannot keep our coach at home so it is in a gated storage facility on concrete fewer than two miles from home. It would be convenient to have it here but if could do it so could everyone else and I’ve seen too many neighborhoods junked up with semi-derelict cars, boats and RVs. I do park in the street to load/unload and occasionally to work on it but have never done so for more than 6 or 8 hours. Often my neighbors stop by and it is a positive conversation starter. Overall it’s a good situation.
Old 10-23-2020, 02:42 PM   #45
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
We have just one rule in our Town about motor vehicles:
If it's in your yard or driveway: it had better have a current plate and registration on it.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:49 PM   #46

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
When I retired we sold our house and moved into a small condo to facilitate our travel plans. There are lots of HOA rules and I’m generally supportive of them. We cannot keep our coach at home so it is in a gated storage facility on concrete fewer than two miles from home. It would be convenient to have it here but if could do it so could everyone else and I’ve seen too many neighborhoods junked up with semi-derelict cars, boats and RVs. I do park in the street to load/unload and occasionally to work on it but have never done so for more than 6 or 8 hours. Often my neighbors stop by and it is a positive conversation starter. Overall it’s a good situation.
If it got anything like junked up cars / RV / boats etc, it would be time to move. Our neighborhood has a rear alleyway; so you would almost have to be driving behind the homes to see. Some neighbor's may argue that our RV brings value to the Neighborhood Of course we don't live in Beverly Hills

Case in point our the wife of our new neighbor that moved in behind us told us that once her husband saw our boat, he told the realtor sold. Now we did not have the RV then so maybe they wish to move now

We had to get two permits with the City to do what we did; spent about $10k of improvements to make it blend in really nice with house and back yard decorum. A lot of neighbors are already on a my post covid 19 waiting list because they are just dying to see the inside. One mom that pushes her toddler in a stroller says her son goes bezerk every time they pass and it gone

It is a very nice 600sf addition to our home with 3 more TVs. We watch almost all the football games outside these days. The outdoor kitchen & TV is just awesomous. It reminds a lot of when we kept our now sold 30' Chaparral at the Marina. We downsized to a Yamaha 242 Limited that we can trailer to any lake we wish to go. I am pretty sure I will never buy a house with those stringent HOA restrictions, but I know how to find a very nice neighborhood that is not a trailer park. I think if you asked neighbors in our area, they would say their #1 issue is homeowners who park on the street and not in their garage or driveway. The way we did our construction, I can park up to 6 cars, 1 boat and two motorcycles in the garage / driveway with the RV on it's special improved concrete surface; all in the rear of our home Normally we have only 3 cars parked unless the kids are home.

Note @ Bob

This is why if you may remember some folks were taking me to task when I said the reason I ruled out the Windsport/Hurricane 29M was because it was a foot too long? Most could not grasp how 1 foot could make a difference. Well the Thor 29M would have extended into the alleyway where the Winnebago 29VE does not. The 27B was the only new Thor option that would fit; but we never found one that passed PDI; and Thor stopped making 27Bs. Sometimes life just works out.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:23 AM   #47

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 28H
State: California
THOR #3559
RV as Lifeboat

I was reading the forum today because yesterday I missed it! Long story short - our electricity was shut off (with 2 weeks notice) all day yesterday so that new power poles and lines could be installed. So......we got in our motorhome and headed 30 minutes away to a campground next to the San Joaquin River. It was a nice day and we planned to spend the night but wound up driving home mid-afternoon.

It was much more comfortable spending the day with the motorhome nearby -- kitchen, bathroom etc. We keep in "ready to go" so it was an easy run up the hill and back.

The motorhome has been handy several times when there has been power outages (usually in the winter, first storm). It's great to turn on the lights, cook dinner and relax without candles and no water since we're on a well. No power equals no water for us.

In any case, it's a lifeboat sometimes!
Old 10-24-2020, 12:33 AM   #48
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Is your RV a 50 amp unit?
If so: I wonder if you could rig up a line to the house in order to get power to your well?