Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2020, 04:09 PM   #21
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I do have a solution...
Find an "Ordinance Friendly" driveway: preferably at one of your kids' houses.

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 04:23 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni RB34
State: Oregon
THOR #20891
I did think about the abundant BLM rangeland around here...
Old 10-21-2020, 04:31 PM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
BLM?

Oh... the OTHER BLM!
Old 10-21-2020, 04:32 PM   #24

Model: Chateau 28Z
State: Illinois
THOR #20269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I do have a solution...
Find an "Ordinance Friendly" driveway: preferably at one of your kids' houses.
Our local kids are in a HOA neighborhood. They can't even park on the street. Good thought though. This weekend will probably be our last for the season. Not great weather (we're west of Chicago) but going to bundle up and enjoy one more. Work commitments won't allow for a trip south before winter.
Old 10-21-2020, 04:34 PM   #25

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I am sympathetic to local ordinances or HOA restrictions on MHs in driveways. We live in a condo with clear prohibitions on any RV parking in your driveway. But once or twice each season I bring my RV from its storage yard and park it in our driveway to prepare it for the season, cool down the fridge and load it up with stuff for camping.

We leave for camping the next morning and have never left the RV in our drive way for more than 16 hours at a time. So far, no complaints. I do have a pretty good relationship with my nearby neighbors.

Be sensible and 99% of the time you will be fine.

David
Old 10-21-2020, 04:37 PM   #26

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Practice for full-timing...
We'll need a bigger RV!
DO NOT.... I REPEAT.... DO NOT take "Her" to MOT in Nacogdoches TX and tour available Foretravel & Newell coaches ........Your kids inheritances are at risk.....
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 04:56 PM   #27
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
DO NOT.... I REPEAT.... DO NOT take "Her" to MOT in Nacogdoches TX and tour available Foretravel & Newell coaches ........Your kids inheritances are at risk.....
Not to worry: our Kid has already been told that we're leaving him with nothing but lots of good memories.
Foretravel you say??
I sure wouldn't mind having a sauna...
Old 10-21-2020, 04:56 PM   #28

THOR #20891
My HOA allows 48 hours of RV in driveway. It’s usually enough to pre-trip prep and post-trip cleanup. (Also, if I get the nasty HOA letter, I have 7 days to correct.)
Old 10-21-2020, 05:00 PM   #29
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
That almost sounds as if you could park it there for nine days...
Old 10-21-2020, 05:07 PM   #30

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Love it! We probably sleep more in the rig than the house now and are master bedrooms are probably 10 feet apart when we are parked on the side of the house all hooked up!

works good for hurricane bug outs also!

Quote:
The Missus and I have been enjoying our RV this Summer in an unusual way for us: it has become our "Lifeboat" during a much-needed major bathroom renovation project.
Since the shower had to go: the one in our RV became indispensable!
We also needed a place where she could perform her nighttime dialysis treatments.
I'm pleased to say that the past 8 evenings have been uneventful, and completely enjoyable. This has been the longest duration "camping trip" that we've had so far...
We probably have at least the rest of this week in the RV; and are actually not looking forward to the conclusion of the home project.
Do you think that she'll want to keep sleeping outdoors?
Old 10-21-2020, 05:15 PM   #31
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy1111 View Post
Love it! We probably sleep more in the rig than the house now and are master bedrooms are probably 10 feet apart when we are parked on the side of the house all hooked up!

works good for hurricane bug outs also!
And best of all: the phone doesn't ring!
Old 10-21-2020, 08:57 PM   #32

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
Our HOA has fairly strict rules about RVs as well. However, they do allow an RV to “overstay” its welcome pre and post trip by 24 additional hours. Additional being they key word - so we have 2 days on each end.

They also have no problem with staging the RV when we get a hurricane warning. I run the rig over and plug it in to get the fridge cold. This has saved me quite a bit of food from spoiling. And I can keep my kegerator in the garage cold running off of the genset - neighbors are happy to drink cold beer so no complaints.

And, we can park in the driveway if we needed to C-19 quarantine between family members. We just send an email. So far we haven’t needed to do that.

We have our share of “sea lawyers” in the neighborhood and it irks them to no end when I show them the “unwritten” HOA guidelines on RVs.
Old 10-22-2020, 02:52 AM   #33

THOR #20891
If we have to wildfire evacuate, the RV will be our go-to plan.
Old 10-23-2020, 02:37 AM   #34

Model: Axis 24.2
State: California
THOR #18202
Interesting thread. Our HOA does not permit motorhomes on the private street, much less in the drive which, btw, is part of the commonly owned property and not part of our fee owned area.

As a result, we park on an adjacent public street just long enough to provision the rig on the way out of town. Kind of silly, but we ferry the stuff in a 63 Greenbriar van that we keep in the garage.

On the issue of camping locally, we are lucky to have a nice county park just a few miles away with campsites. We have used it as a retreat during work at the house and, a couple of times, just to get a change of scenery.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:13 AM   #35

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
This topic has two sides. Our city and HOA allows RVs and boats to be stored at home provided certain conditions are met. They are all City requirements NOT HOA restrictions. Twice we considered moving and both times we nixed our plans because we did not care for incredibly lengthy and exhaustive rules in most modern day HOAs, not to mention the fees they require you to pay.

Our RV is parked on a city approved permit 13' X 31' pad that is next to the pool adjacent to driveway with full power pedestal. We don't live in it, but we use it all the time. Oddy I would pay $150/month to keep it at home because of all of the convenience. The fact that it is free; short the initial investment makes our home even more attractive to us. Being able to see it every day and work on things has only accelerated our understanding of the RV to actually use it more. It is very easy to keep clean both inside and out at our own pace. I realize all can't do this and all prolly don't wish to, but if we ever did not want to,; we could always put in a storage facility ( I can't see that happening with us) Eventually when we retire we may move, but if I will NOT move anywhere where I can't park my RV, boat and or cars at least on the street.

As far as Neighbors go, we have a very large Neighborhood online community, if there are ANY issues within our Neighborhood, some body will post. We get a lot of compliments on our RV on how nice it looks Only once I recall neighbors going in rage over a RV. 3 houses down our street we had a neighbor who once had a visitor that parked their RV trailer on the street The complaints started because it was parked over a weeka , they had slide outs and extension cord going across a sidewalk to the house. HOA rules preventing that makes sense, but point here is that the Neighbors policed themselves because as soon as the complaints came online, the trailer was gone. In fact they jokingly called the owner of Trailer Cuzin Eddie
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 03:17 AM   #36

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
And best of all: the phone doesn't ring!
We actually have a landline with a Panasonic 6 phone wireless set. We keep one phone in the RV; so we don't miss any calls We also use it for Intercom as I may be out in RV and my DW could be upstairs. When we travel, I have a magicjack so when I hook it up to my laptop we still can make and receive landline calls using VOIP
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 06:11 AM   #37

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Not to worry: our Kid has already been told that we're leaving him with nothing but lots of good memories.
Foretravel you say??
I sure wouldn't mind having a sauna...
Yup..on several models that is available as an option...
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:31 AM   #38
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Our HOA doesn't "like" RV's in the driveway--thus we can't store it but we load/unload/wash/etc. it. They can't prevent people from parking in the street, however, city ordinance.

So far the longest we've had the RV at home is 3 days. No complaints...well ok once: With our former 5th wheel we had it home (I think I was washing it), our neighbors were out as well when a "HOA police" minded person walked by and started to complain and they asked our neighbors "doesn't this bother you?" and our neighbors replied "not at all--its gorgeous!" to which the HOA police stormed off in a scuff. Haven't heard anything since LOL.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:52 AM   #39
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
We actually have a landline with a Panasonic 6 phone wireless set. We keep one phone in the RV; so we don't miss any calls We also use it for Intercom as I may be out in RV and my DW could be upstairs. When we travel, I have a magicjack so when I hook it up to my laptop we still can make and receive landline calls using VOIP
When I'm not in our Office: I don't want to hear a phone ring...
If one of us is in the RV, and needs to speak to the other: we use the microphone in the Eyenimal Pet Camera.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:49 PM   #40
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Is your landline still a "real" line? (e.g. landline's can cost upwards of $70+/month).

If you make it a "soft" line (VOIP) you can reduce that cost down to something like $4/month--depending on how much use.

I just did this using https://voip.ms/ . Saving some $$. Now our "landline" just rings an app on my cellphone (regardless of where I'm at) instead of all the copper (and I have voicemail setup that e-mails me a .mp3 file of the voicemail, an outgoing message to deter sales people, scammers, etc.).

Yeah I sound like a sales person..nope don't work for them just recently did it as a cost save.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote