Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2017, 12:57 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29m
State: Louisiana
THOR #3932
Electro bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNMIB View Post
We are considering electric bikes and would like to hear from you battery assisted bike users. The good, bad and the ugly.
I had electric scooters in 2005 ,same as the kids had but 12inch tires Anda seat...We both loved them, rode one 8 miles round trip from a Koa to a store,no troubles.. Just purchased on e bay, c a nt upload a picture sorry,a 20inch folding electric bike..was the search I usego green was the China brand...36 volt ..runs about 20 miles per hour, I have road it 4 miles and it still should full charge..and u can peddle it got 2 first was 595.00 second w a small 650.00 so demand is rising price..Also if u had to u could make your own battery pack,both fold nice in one bay..

Old 01-19-2017, 01:44 AM   #22

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
We Bought Motiv

We both have the Motiv electric bicycles with the 48 volt option that gives better power for the hills. Not as expensive as the Pedigo and they have done an excellent job for us so far. I really like the disc brakes. I also recently purchased Brite-Eyes brand LED headlight and they are an awesome addition. These bikes have throttle power and not the automatic electric assist.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:16 AM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
My wife and I love to bicycle, but some of the "hills" we go on can be challenging as we get older. We decided to do the "electric bike conversion" to our regular Raleigh bicycles. We bought the conversion kits from this site: https://www.e-bikerig.com .

I bought the 50 mile battery and my wife got the 30 mile version. Although pricey, I've got to say that I am VERY impressed with their performance. We ride the bikes without electric assistance as much as possible, and only have to press a button on the handlebar to give us some substantial assistance up the hills. We couldn't be more pleased! I will tell you that I have actually gotten the bike up to 20 mph on a straight and flat road - that's too fast for me, but I was just testing the performance. We bought a heavy-duty bike rack from 1UP (1UPUSA.com :: Home), and bring them along on every trip we take. I bought a drop hitch receiver so that my car tow bar goes in the bottom slot and the bike rack in the top slot of the receiver.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:13 AM   #24

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocP View Post
My wife and I love to bicycle, but some of the "hills" we go on can be challenging as we get older. We decided to do the "electric bike conversion" to our regular Raleigh bicycles. We bought the conversion kits from this site: https://www.e-bikerig.com .

I bought the 50 mile battery and my wife got the 30 mile version. Although pricey, I've got to say that I am VERY impressed with their performance. We ride the bikes without electric assistance as much as possible, and only have to press a button on the handlebar to give us some substantial assistance up the hills. We couldn't be more pleased! I will tell you that I have actually gotten the bike up to 20 mph on a straight and flat road - that's too fast for me, but I was just testing the performance. We bought a heavy-duty bike rack from 1UP (1UPUSA.com :: Home), and bring them along on every trip we take. I bought a drop hitch receiver so that my car tow bar goes in the bottom slot and the bike rack in the top slot of the receiver.
Did you install them yourself?
Old 02-03-2017, 03:25 AM   #25

Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNMIB View Post
Did you install them yourself?
Yes, it was pretty simple. They even had an installation video on their Web site to refer to. We've had them for 2 years now, with no problems.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:46 PM   #26

Model: Challenger 37YT
State: Georgia
THOR #6681
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocP View Post

The only negative if you buy a good quality Ebike is its weight. I love my bike. I will go up hill and pedal backwards and get some funny looks.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:01 PM   #27

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
Just found this "older" thread.

We recently purchased a pair of Rad Power Mini's . They are folding bikes with 750 watt motors and 48 volt batteries.
They will run 20mph for 20 miles without pedaling .

Very nice bikes, high quality , fun to ride and they will be easy to pack on the rv.

The picture of the bikes on the rear platform was sent to me by a gentleman on the IRV2 Forum.
I have the same bikes and the same platform.

Headed to Cape Cod next month and then Disney after the first of the year, can't wait to use them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4179.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	6192   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4197.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	6193  

Old 08-04-2017, 04:39 PM   #28
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
THOR #7074
After looking at TONS of brands. I did upgrade from 250watt Mojo brand and recently purchased 5 SONDORS FOLDING X Models. It is a Very crowded field for Ebikes tons of options. I went with SONDORS because... Reputation,Very strong build, Price for 500watt power and long range battery , Style and travel-ability they fold and weigh 50 pounds. They are federally recognized as a bicycle and can travel wherever bikes are allowed. I have to say they are a Blast and great family fun!
We do not tow a vehicle when traveling. The bikes are our way of traveling around inside the parks. Good Luck !!
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:37 PM   #29

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I've been thinking about them for a while now. We don't tow a car, and are "weekend warriors" with the RV, so ebikes would open up a lot of versatility...running into town and such that's just a bit too far for us on standard bikes, where currently we drive the RV or don't go.
but with three kids
I'd almost need to buy 5 of them...$$$$$

and the previously mentioned weight.... I have a 5 place rack but I doubt it would hold them safely

The other things I don't think have been mentioned here, that concern me are

weather resistance
and
theft
Old 08-04-2017, 08:55 PM   #30
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
THOR #7074
I am having a custom cargo tray made for my unit I had one made for my last one and it worked out very well it will span the entire width of the back of the Axis not like a standard 60 inch cargo tray also it does plug into the hitch but also has support mounts on each side to the frame underneath by bolts very sturdy. Cost was a huge factor in my decesion. I also had to buy 5 bikes for the family. I will be looking into some type of large bag that tarp material to put them in before I put them on the carrier as for theft I will have the people welding the tray figure out what type of locking mechanism i will use.
I always thought I would be taking our scooters with us we each have one but the weight is too prohibitive not wanting to pull a trailer. We tested taking the two Ebikes with us on our 9000 my trip this summer we hit 20 States and loved it now we're upgrading to the 5 bikes there's a lot to look out there it's all personal preference but I for one think it's the best way to go for us not wanting to pull anything. We also take nightly rides around the neighborhood which is a great family function. After driving this summer with the two bikes I don't think it would be possible to carry 5 unless you had a custom rack made for 5. They would just rub together and basically rub the paint and everything else off the bikes while you're driving just my opinion. Good Luck!!!!
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:21 PM   #31

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedsmom View Post
Don, one of the reasons we got these was to level the playing field. My other half was a long distance (think 1000 miles) rider back in the day, so riding is second nature. We both had nice hybrid street bikes but I could never keep up. Enter the Pedegos, and my life changed in ways I never could have imagined. No longer is keeping up an issue. If I fall behind, I just give the bike a little juice and away I go. One can work as hard -- or not -- as they want.

.....cut.....
And all this time I thought that's why they invented tandems.

We got our first tandem years ago so we could ride from Houston to Austin, in large part because she couldn't ride that far on her own in two days, and discovered we absolutely loved riding together. It's one of those activities you either love or hate -- usually not much middle ground.

Anyway, it solves the problem of having one rider being much stronger than the other and being able to ride away from them. Tandems also make it a little easier to cover longer distances because it takes a little less effort to pedal at higher speeds (above 15 ~ 20 MPH it takes less effort than two separate bikes). Again, not for all couples but may work for some. For that reason I recommend borrowing or renting one to try out before buying.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:17 AM   #32
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul905 View Post
I have owned e-Bikes for several years and currently carry 2 with me every where I go with my Axis. I bought front wheel conversion kits but that route is not for everyone. I am very much impressed with the RadRover and I am considering purchasing 2 after much research. Click the link to learn more: https://www.radpowerbikes.com/pages/radrover
Hello
Have been looking for an e bike for us. I like the rad but was curious why you are considering them over others. I am trying to make a decision on what bike to purchase. Thanks for your help. Yes
Old 08-05-2017, 03:02 AM   #33

Model: Thor Axis 24.1
State: New York
THOR #3162
Rad Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Hello
Have been looking for an e bike for us. I like the rad but was curious why you are considering them over others. I am trying to make a decision on what bike to purchase. Thanks for your help. Yes
These days I like the Rad City for myself. They use a direct drive motor that is bullet proof. Unlike geared hub motors there is no plastic planetary gears to wear out. They come complete with fenders, rack, lights 2 frame sizes and regenerative braking all for $1500. However I just put a new 11AH battery on my 5yr old Townie that has a 500 watt front direct drive motor on it. By the way the old 5yr 10AH lithium battery was still working well but its age was concerning me. Remember I said the direct drive motors were bullet proof. So I'm good for a while. I did get a chance to ride a Rad Rover fat tire bike in Myrtle Beach and it felt amazingly solid.

Now all that being said I recently purchased a Juiced Bike model Ocean Current for my wife because the Rad Bikes does not offer a true Step Thru frame for the ladies. So far so good. She loves it. It does have a 500 watt geared hub motor but it should be ok as she is much lighter than I am and is much easier on the bike than I am. It has a simple display and a torque and cadence pedal assist plus a thumb throttle. I rode it a few times and was impressed. https://shop.juicedbikes.com/collect...rent-step-thru
Old 08-05-2017, 03:02 AM   #34

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
I've been thinking about them for a while now. We don't tow a car, and are "weekend warriors" with the RV, so ebikes would open up a lot of versatility...running into town and such that's just a bit too far for us on standard bikes, where currently we drive the RV or don't go.
but with three kids
I'd almost need to buy 5 of them...$$$$$

and the previously mentioned weight.... I have a 5 place rack but I doubt it would hold them safely

The other things I don't think have been mentioned here, that concern me are

weather resistance
and
theft
The nice people at Rad Power told me that I "could ride the bike in a hurricane" if i so desired . They did say not to submerge the rear hub in water since it contains the electric motor.
As for theft I bought 2 Kryptonite chain locks from Amazon and they come with holders that enable them to be stored on the bikes when not in use.
Amazon also supplied ( for $15.00 each ) 2 waterproof covers for the bikes. One will cover both bikes when folded and strapped to the transport platform .
When parked at the campsite they will each have a cover.

Kev , I faced the same issue of too many electric bikes to choose from. I asked the crew over at irv2 and got some good reviews regarding the Rad Power bikes.

Further investigation revealed that they were powered by 750 watt motors and 48 volt batteries.
The price point @ $1,499 each was about where I wanted to be and they have a special going that saved me $200.00 ($100.00 per bike) for buying 2 , shipping was free.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:31 AM   #35
Kev

THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul905 View Post
These days I like the Rad City for myself. They use a direct drive motor that is bullet proof. Unlike geared hub motors there is no plastic planetary gears to wear out. They come complete with fenders, rack, lights 2 frame sizes and regenerative braking all for $1500. However I just put a new 11AH battery on my 5yr old Townie that has a 500 watt front direct drive motor on it. By the way the old 5yr 10AH lithium battery was still working well but its age was concerning me. Remember I said the direct drive motors were bullet proof. So I'm good for a while. I did get a chance to ride a Rad Rover fat tire bike in Myrtle Beach and it felt amazingly solid. Problem with Rad they are built in Washington state and couldn't be any farther away.

Now all that being said I recently purchased a Juiced Bike model Ocean Current for my wife because the Rad Bikes does not offer a true Step Thru frame for the ladies. So far so good. She loves it. It does have a 500 watt geared hub motor but it should be ok as she is much lighter than I am and is much easier on the bike than I am. It has a simple display and a torque and cadence pedal assist plus a thumb throttle. I rode it a few times and was impressed. https://shop.juicedbikes.com/collect...rent-step-thru
Thanks for the response I have been torn between 3 models, Pedego, Rad Power, and Juiced. Just trying to decide and it can be difficult because you can find good and bad reviews on all three bikes. I was leaning towards the Pedego because there is a dealer 30 minutes away and I like that idea.
Kev
Old 08-19-2017, 03:16 PM   #36

Model: FourWinds SuperC 35SF
State: Kansas
THOR #2446

Name:	IMG_0073.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	6414

we LOVE our EVELO Aurora electric bikes.
Check out their website....Excellent Customer Service
Old 08-19-2017, 04:44 PM   #37

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Hey Kev,

We purchased two of the Motiv Spark models. Pretty happy with them. Ordered rechargeable LED headlights off of Amazon just to have them. These also have 48 volt batteries to have the hill power we need. Carry them on a Swagman bicycle rack on the hitch receiver since we will most likely never tow anything anyway. Didn't go with the extremely fat tires and the ones we have will go everywhere with the exception of sand.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:54 PM   #38
Kev

THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
Hey Kev,

We purchased two of the Motiv Spark models. Pretty happy with them. Ordered rechargeable LED headlights off of Amazon just to have them. These also have 48 volt batteries to have the hill power we need. Carry them on a Swagman bicycle rack on the hitch receiver since we will most likely never tow anything anyway. Didn't go with the extremely fat tires and the ones we have will go everywhere with the exception of sand.
Will that rack handle the weight of e bikes? I was looking at racks but I know they are considerably more heavy than a traditiona bike and was worried about it.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:13 AM   #39

Model: Chateau 23U
THOR #9164
Prodecotech full size 26" electric folding bikes

We have Prodeco Tech 26" full size folding electric bikes and a Yakima hold up rack. We love the electric assist with max speed of 18mph and a range of 20 moles per charge. Some may think electric means not really bicycling but you would be mistaken. While you can just glide along on electric power you can also pedal like a normal bike with assist when you need it. We now ride as hard as we did before just a whole lot further. Great fun I highly recommend it!
We got them in the folding model for easy storage and portability but wound up getting a Yakima rack to not use up too much of our valuable storage space.
Still handy though to throw them in the SUV.
Attachment 7017

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	7018
Old 09-20-2017, 11:20 AM   #40
Kev

THOR #3918
Electric Bikes

We also have purchased two Pedegos and really love them. The nice thing about them is that you can choose how much assist you want from zero to five.
It also has a throttle so you can use that at any time if necessary. The reasons we chose the Pedegos is the two year warranty, the reviews, and the fact that if we have a problem we can bring it to a brick and mortar store and have it repaired. I read too many horror stories about people purchasing electric bikes online and when they have a problem they get zero support.
Kev