Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2016, 04:03 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #4086
Work online while rving?

I am a teacher and plan on teaching online during the summer and full time after I retire in a couple years. Anyone who is full time RVing who uses high speed internet and skype on a regular basis?

I haven't even begun to look into the technology and know there are lots of articles out there. I would like to talk to some real people that actually use the technology.

I already have teaching jobs lined up but it all depends on the technology. I'm planning to be mostly in the gulf coast area (Texas, Mississippi, Louisiana, Florida).

Appreciate all the input and hospitality at this forum.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:39 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
There have been quite a few discussions on this topic here. Just a few:
Telework mods for RVing
Connecting to WiFi
Phone Booster
2016 Vegas infotainment center

There probably are a few more I missed.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 04:31 PM   #3

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
We're not full-timers, but my wife often works from the road - literally.

We use Verizon for cell and data services. In most parts of the country we've visited their service has been sufficient although she hasn't tried full-motion video. She uses Magic-Jack as her business-voice provider. With a laptop, cell phone, and wireless hot spot she works while I'm driving down the road.

I run the generator when she needs a boost to her laptop battery, but I plan to add an inverter in the not too distant future that will eliminate that requirement.

The only problems have been in parts of the country where cell service is poor or non-existent. Campground WiFi should generally be considered useless for any and all high-bandwidth activities so a good cell-plan is a must.

Regards,

Randy
Old 04-20-2016, 05:36 PM   #4

Model: ACE
State: Florida
THOR #698
We have an AT&T plan for 30 GB/month with a one month rollover. It includes 2 hot spots and the monthly bill is $140. We are not full timers but do make several trips a year in the 6-8 week range. Never have come close to using all of the data. We are on the internet a lot but don't stream movie as that uses a lot.

I don't think this plan is available anymore as when I talk to an AT&T rep about some of the unlimited data plans that are good for only one device, they tell me I should never change my plan. We have 2 I Phones, 2 I Pads, and my old HP computer and it works great. Sometimes when we are in rural parts of the SE US, some of the AT&T coverage is marginal but also have a Wilson Sleek booster that helps.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:27 AM   #5

State: California
THOR #4086
Thanks for the info. Lots to consider.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:31 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Illinois
THOR #4087
Good luck, I have had nothing but trouble. I agree never rely on a parks internet not matter what they tell you.
I saw an ad for this book but have not used it.

Mobile Internet Handbook Helps RVers Get Online - RV Life
Old 04-21-2016, 12:10 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
As an IT guy, I would say much depends on your location and access to cellular networks. Most RV park WiFi is slow and shared with others so the idea of your own MiFi access point is best but you still need a good signal. I have an AT&T MiFi that I use along with a PepWave Surf-On-The-Go WiFi repeater that allows me to have wireless as well as wired internet connections if needed to access my data center when away. Depending on where we are I can use WebEx or other videoconferencing tools or just check email. Everything depends on the signal strength.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:13 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I just added a 256 GB iPad Pro 9.7 (wireless + cellular) to my arsenal of teleworking tools. I have it connected through a VPN and installed Office 365 which includes Word, Excel and PowerPoint as well as access to One Drive for cloud storage. I also have the AiO Remote app so the iPad (and iPhones) can print/scan to/from my HP printer.

I have been to two campgrounds where I would say I had issues with teleworking. One was 4 Paws Kingdom and they specifically state that high bandwidth users will be throttled back or disconnected so no streaming of movies etc... on their system. The other was Fort Wilderness where you had to get a modem from the outpost to connect into their WiFi. At Fort Wilderness we were on the modem waiting list until the night before we left.

I also have a Verizon MiFi which has served me well in campgrounds with weak WiFi and at Fort Wilderness. Neither my client's furnished laptop (allowing access to their VPN) nor my wife's Surface Pro are cellular capable so the MiFi comes in handy for those devices. I prefer using the MiFi rather than setting our iPhones as hot spots.

This website is a good source for information related to RV Mobile Internet access.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:41 PM   #9

State: Alaska
THOR #7889
Mobile has unlimited WiFi plans on their phones on mobile data plan hotspots
Old 06-18-2017, 12:54 PM   #10

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
I also use Skype and Outlook while on the road and/or camping for work and utilize a Straightalk hotspot. Cost for device is about $30-50 and each gig is $10. Can be purchased thru WalMart or Straightalk online. I heard that AT&T has a hotspot called Mobley that is $20 per month unlimited. I'm sure they throttle your data usage back once you reach a certain threshold but probably still would be worth it.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote