Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2018, 08:02 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31E (2019)
State: California
THOR #12270
finished first trip. kinda a downer.

well i just got back from our first trip 2 days ago and it (to me) wasn't the greatest.

this was the first time driving a rig this big (class c 32') i felt like a semi-truck and kept getting cut off. i just set the cruse control to 60 and drove in the right lane. just stayed with all the other semi-trucks.

we were heading to Payson AZ and while driving though the CA/AZ dessert of course it hit 110* on the hottest day of the week in the forcast. my little fur baby had water in the back but ended up having a heatstroke with temp of 104.5 in quartzite. after crossing the AZ border, we had to turn around and head back 30 miles into Blythe CA to a Veterinarian. ended up spending our first night in the RV park there. this was traveling in the dessert with just the cab a/c running. after her heatstroke, i didn't travel w/o the generator/coach A/C running too.

we got to payson AZ just fine after some mountain roads. this was a challenge. i couldn't get the "tap the brakes to downshift" to work so had to move the shiftier to downshift and do some careful braking. the actual campground was to put it in one word, disappointing. it was close to amenities (there was a Walmart 3 blocks away) but it was all dirt, on a hill, and the management felt money hungry. oh and it rained all night for the 3 nights we were there. i didn't bring any wood or blocks for the levelers so i was worried it would sink down in mud while we were trying to sleep. it did sink about 1/2 inch in the rear and 1/4 in the front. i went to a steak house and brought my mom back dinner since she couldn't get around well. (bad arthritis and bad knees.) also discovered the kitchen sink doesn't drain all the way and leaks out of the P trap.

all this time my mom is getting worse and worse and weaker. she couldn't get in bed or in the cab passenger seat w/o my help. i decided i had had enough. it wasn't relaxing or fun anymore so we left the campground and headed back. the trip back took 2 days and got home Sunday. almost 900 miles in a little under a week. overall not bad, but it defiantly could have been less stress and anxiety inducing.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:22 PM   #2

Model: Axis 27.7
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #12085
First trip is always a time for lessons learned.

Consider all the things that went well, including getting to the vet in time.

Maybe try some local trips to get your RV legs. I have found reading this forum invaluable to speed up the learning curve.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:10 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The interesting thing I find about your trip is that you really didn't have any big problems with the RV so I'd call that a success ! LOL

I agree: take shorter trips to get the hang of the RV before the big trip.

Hopefully your mom is doing better.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:43 PM   #4

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Diemaster - well you made there and back. That part is good. Relative to your issues I'd recommend you come back here and ask questions about how to deal with the things that went wrong. Most of us would have told you to run your generator and turn on the house ACs while your in such heat. We'd also give you a way to discriminate before you go with things like campgrounds, road side facilities, fueling up, etc. Some folks plan more than others. We are in the plan the trip, plan the trip, plan the trip category. When we have our grandkids on board (a couple of months each), it is my responsibility to make sure we are comfortable and safe. I look for stops that fit my criteria (steady 50 AMPs, good water pressure, sewer and with the grands - a pool). I also plan my fuel stops, routes (sometimes taking the long way to avoid steep, windy roads) and overall scenery.

Coming here you can begin to avoid most surprises.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:39 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'm sorry to hear that it wasn't what you thought it was going to be.
But take a look at it this way:
Next time out: you'll know what to prepare for, and how to adapt to what gets thrown your way
Don't give up... it WILL get better!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:20 PM   #6

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemaster View Post

we got to payson AZ just fine after some mountain roads. this was a challenge. i couldn't get the "tap the brakes to downshift" to work so had to move the shiftier to downshift and do some careful braking. the actual campground was to put it in one word, disappointing.
Probably a dumb question but you did have tow haul engaged right? I find that once going downhill, I apply the brakes for a second or two and then it will begin downshifting, tapping the brakes hasnt worked for me I dont recall.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:25 PM   #7

THOR #1620
Also might check Jerrys Post http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...-fix-5744.html
Old 08-26-2018, 11:47 PM   #8

Model: Ace 29.3
THOR #6522
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
Sure that's the right link? Goes to something unrelated.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:53 PM   #9

THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich&Cathy View Post
Sure that's the right link? Goes to something unrelated.
Unrelated to what? It goes to jerrys fix for the towhaul issue he is having.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:59 PM   #10

Model: 2016 Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #12340
Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it. Sounds like my wife and I. We took a 2 night shake down and everything seemed ok. We left 2 weeks later for a trip from FL to VA. Our entire trip was hot as h#ll. AC wouldn't keep up at all. Couldn't even go outside it was so friggin hot every single day. We didn't like the RV at all. And the worst party was our cat hated it too. So when we got home after 11 days we traded it in (we owned it for 30 days). We are now 9 days in on a 6 week trip into the blue ridge mountains to get out of the FL heat. We are loving it. Having a good time with no where to go. The right RV and the right weather has made a huge difference. Even our cat is having a great time and very comfortable.
Good luck in the future!!
Old 08-27-2018, 12:27 AM   #11

THOR #6522
Quote:
Unrelated to what? It goes to jerrys fix for the towhaul issue he is having.
When I pick it it goes to a TV issue post.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:42 AM   #12

THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich&Cathy View Post
When I pick it it goes to a TV issue post.
LOL, well thats weird, when I click on it it goes right to jerrys post just like in the title. No clue what is going on.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:44 AM   #13

THOR #1020
csseeker - hopefully Diemaster has a better go of it next time out. Happy for you that your coach is doing good for you and yours. Enjoy!
Old 08-27-2018, 01:19 AM   #14

Model: Four Winds 31E (2019)
THOR #12270
thank you all for your kind words. i usually get a new toy and go too far too fast. i spent two months reading this forum for the trip prep.

Quote:
Probably a dumb question but you did have tow haul engaged right? I find that once going downhill, I apply the brakes for a second or two and then it will begin downshifting, tapping the brakes hasnt worked for me I dont recall.
no i didn't use tow haul as i wasn't towing or hauling. seriously though, i wanted to get used to the way it drives first before playing with extra features.

i also haven't got it aligned, no suspension fixes (bone stock) or other fixes yet. i dont have thousands to pour into it. (was kinda expecting it to be correct form the dealer.

(P.S. my mom is doing better.)
Old 08-27-2018, 01:23 AM   #15
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
When I click the link it goes to Jerry's Post. However that fix is for an F-53 chassis the OP has a class C on E-Series frame which I don't think has had that issue (at least nobody on here has complained about that issue).
Old 08-27-2018, 01:23 AM   #16

THOR #1620
Quote:
no i didn't use tow haul as i wasn't towing or hauling. seriously though, i wanted to get used to the way it drives first before playing with extra features.

That is the key though. You have to have tow haul engaged if you want the braking feature to work. You dont have to be towing to use it.
Glad your mom is doing better
Also hope the fur baby is doing good
Old 08-27-2018, 01:25 AM   #17

THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
When I click the link it goes to Jerry's Post. However that fix is for an F-53 chassis the OP has a class C on E-Series frame which I don't think has had that issue (at least nobody on here has complained about that issue).
AH, good catch Jamie.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:53 AM   #18

THOR #1020
Diemaster - glad your Mom and the your fur friend are doing better. You got the advise on the Tow/Haul for braking, try campgroundreviews.com to check campground reviews (most of the time they are spot on) and fire up the generator to run the roof ACs. We use GasBuddy to find timely refuel spots and if it isn't a Flying J we go to Google Maps to check out turning space.

Best advise - get back out there.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:13 AM   #19

THOR #6522
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
When I click on it it goes to post #6 in 2015. Smh
Old 08-27-2018, 02:19 AM   #20
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
thank you all for your kind words. i usually get a new toy and go too far too fast. i spent two months reading this forum for the trip prep.

i also haven't got it aligned, no suspension fixes (bone stock) or other fixes yet. i dont have thousands to pour into it. (was kinda expecting it to be correct form the dealer.

(P.S. my mom is doing better.)
Your first "mod" should be an alignment regardless of anything else you do. Especially now that you have a few miles on it.