Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2018, 09:34 PM   #21

Brand: DRV
Model: 38RSSA MS
State: Washington
THOR #5214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
How do you know which one is right and which one is bad?
This is the one I have on the phone and it is excellent:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...egalheat&hl=en

If you just want to look on your computer this is a pretty good source:

https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_c...city_maps.html

ewacowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:37 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
How do you know which one is right and which one is bad?
Only once has there been a conflict between the two apps, and I then went directly to the state's information on their concealed carry licensing website to verify. The rules had changed and one of the apps had not updated their information. Better safe than sorry.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:43 PM   #23

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #9701
I grew up with the scouts and still believes in being prepared. We also can hope that our elected senators in DC will do the right thing soon. The house passed this in mid-December:
https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...e-bill/38/text

Old 01-12-2018, 11:13 PM   #24
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I agree...
If yo spot conflicting information; it's in your best interest to go straight to the source...
They always say that "It's better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6."

The folks who say that; have often never been in Court...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:44 AM   #25

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
For the States your CCW isn't good you can lock the handgun in something like this. I bought this unit to take my compact Ruger LC9s with us to S.C. when we flew out to buy our new to us 2016 WS31. Meets TSA airline firearm guidelines & approved as a firearms safety device by the California Department of Justice. I always had the gun bedside at night as we worked our way back across the U.S.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015RNJE8I...515803606&sr=1
Old 01-13-2018, 02:38 AM   #26

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
We've been fulltime for 10 years, do not carry any weapon & have been coast to coast border to border into Canada & have never once wished we had a weapon.
We have family members & friends that are licensed to carry & to be honest it scares the hell out of me knowing they are packing, a couple of them are just macho enough to think they need to save the world, the others are just timid enough that all they are going to do is furnish the bad guy a gun if he didn't bring his own.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:42 AM   #27

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
RVs & Guns

I've read all of these posts regarding firearms being carried in the RVs and there have been good points made. I just hate to see the conversation get into the realm of watching mainstream media and the gun control debate. The question initially was how to legally carry a firearm in the RV when crossing the country. One of the reasons I follow this forum is because people seem to be able to talk about a subject, i.e., RVing and leave the heated debates out completely. Just like talking about suspension modifications, etc., what works for one may not work for others. It is the same thing with firearms. If you don't carry and don't have the interest or experience at this point in your life, you should probably skip it when it comes to firearms in the RV.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:57 AM   #28

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
For me.. there are just too many conflicting laws state to state concerning "firearms".
That said..Olin makes a rather nifty marine 12ga flare device for summoning help... even works after dark...
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:51 PM   #29

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
I've read all of these posts regarding firearms being carried in the RVs and there have been good points made. I just hate to see the conversation get into the realm of watching mainstream media and the gun control debate. The question initially was how to legally carry a firearm in the RV when crossing the country. One of the reasons I follow this forum is because people seem to be able to talk about a subject, i.e., RVing and leave the heated debates out completely. Just like talking about suspension modifications, etc., what works for one may not work for others. It is the same thing with firearms. If you don't carry and don't have the interest or experience at this point in your life, you should probably skip it when it comes to firearms in the RV.
I don’t think anyone has been disrespectful or “holy than thou”. I actually thought it was kind of nice that we could all have a courteous discussion on this contentious issue and all respect other’s views. The people on this forum from all over the US are pretty generally nice, respectful people. That’s one reason I like it so much.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:45 PM   #30

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
I don’t think anyone has been disrespectful or “holy than thou”. I actually thought it was kind of nice that we could all have a courteous discussion on this contentious issue and all respect other’s views. The people on this forum from all over the US are pretty generally nice, respectful people. That’s one reason I like it so much.
Oneil,
I agree with what you said. Trust me, as they say, such discussions go downhill quickly once someone strongly hints that carrying of weapons is not necessary. I would say that if someone doesn't want to carry, then don't. As I said, the discusssion on the legality and mechanics of carrying a firearm in your RV is worthwhile, discussing the need to do so usually isn't in my experience.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:25 PM   #31

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Colorado
THOR #10103
1911 45cal. when you use truck stops and hwy rest stops a lot you never know
Old 01-13-2018, 04:32 PM   #32

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusjay View Post
1911 45cal. when you use truck stops and hwy rest stops a lot you never know
The right tool for the job at hand.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:08 PM   #33

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
Oneil,
I agree with what you said. Trust me, as they say, such discussions go downhill quickly once someone strongly hints that carrying of weapons is not necessary. I would say that if someone doesn't want to carry, then don't. As I said, the discusssion on the legality and mechanics of carrying a firearm in your RV is worthwhile, discussing the need to do so usually isn't in my experience.
You’re right. Just because I don’t think that something is necessary to carry in my RV does not mean that it is not necessary for you. Especially in an RV, however, I think more is not necessarily better than less. So any discussion can have a I don’t think it is worthwhile to carry “this”. In the case of a weapon, discussing whether it is “good or bad” serves little purpose and can “go down hill quickly”. However, being aware of some of the legal issues - such as Canada - are important considerations. I have met several RVers who snuck weapons thru Canada and got away with it. I know others who have been caught, fined and cannot travel through Canada.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:48 PM   #34

THOR #10354
My young family and I traveled across the US, from California to NY, staying mostly in 5 star RV parks in the year 2000 and never encountered even the slightest of security issues. I think carrying a gun actually raises the risk to you and to others. Unless you are going to unpopulated areas, where you would be the only RV in sight and in questionable locations, I think you are not in need of deadly force. Bring some mace and maybe a stun zapper (available for $15-$30), for protection. Invasion attempts are 1 in 1,000,000 so the odds don't suggest the need to carry. As one responder said, if you are that concerned, maybe you should not travel. Even in California where you live, have you ever needed a gun for your protection? If you do not have one yet, you probably do not need one.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:56 PM   #35

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
As i mentioned earlier i carry a S&W shield 9mm. Its small, easily concealed, and will do what i want it to do. Ive carried a gun for the past 27 years and feel undressed when not.

Everyone has their right to use, carry if they want, and go through the proper training. Its an individual choice and i choose to carry.

Being a cop for 26 years i have seen some scary crazy things.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:19 PM   #36

THOR #10354
The fact that you came from a "cop" background definitely gives you more history of bad situations and a much higher fear profile. You also have been properly trained and have experience with those situations. Individuals with no training and no experience with difficult situations are much more likely to make a deadly mistake.
I do not run into a lot of police officers suggesting that the public start carrying guns! You are probably the first one in my experience.
Actually, I have had a number of experiences when police officers have knocked on my door, car door etc to investigate my well being or local criminal activity, more often than strangers knocking at my door. Situation like this could turn deadly with both parties carrying guns! Are you sure you want to recommend RVers carryoing guns?
Old 01-13-2018, 07:24 PM   #37
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehobe1 View Post
My young family and I traveled across the US, from California to NY, staying mostly in 5 star RV parks in the year 2000 and never encountered even the slightest of security issues. I think carrying a gun actually raises the risk to you and to others. Unless you are going to unpopulated areas, where you would be the only RV in sight and in questionable locations, I think you are not in need of deadly force. Bring some mace and maybe a stun zapper (available for $15-$30), for protection. Invasion attempts are 1 in 1,000,000 so the odds don't suggest the need to carry. As one responder said, if you are that concerned, maybe you should not travel. Even in California where you live, have you ever needed a gun for your protection? If you do not have one yet, you probably do not need one.
Obviously you have been drinking too much cool aide. Let’s just hold hands and kumbya and everything will be all right. In the real world crime happens and if you have not been touched by crime that’s.great. Most people who legally carry weapons hope they never have to use it. In Florida when they passed the stand your ground law people like you predicted unprecedented shootings and it would be the “Wild West” when in fact crime went down. As this responder says if you are concerned about people carrying guns in RV parks maybe you should stay home. And for your information cities with the highest crime rates, ie NYC and Washington DC have the strictest gun laws. And after 32 yrs, of law enforcement experience officers I have come in contact with support citizens right to legally carry weapons.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:30 PM   #38
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
The fact that you came from a "cop" background definitely gives you more history of bad situations and a much higher fear profile. You also have been properly trained and have experience with those situations. Individuals with no training and no experience with difficult situations are much more likely to make a deadly mistake.
I do not run into a lot of police officers suggesting that the public start carrying guns! You are probably the first one in my experience.
Actually, I have had a number of experiences when police officers have knocked on my door, car door etc to investigate my well being or local criminal activity, more often than strangers knocking at my door. Situation like this could turn deadly with both parties carrying guns! Are you sure you want to recommend RVers carryoing guns?
As far as I can tell this thread was started to discuss the legalities of carrying in different states. I haven't seen anything in this thread that advocated for or against bringing a gun along (other than a few anecdotes and people mentioning what they do).

That is the problem I've seen on many forums: someone starts a thread to discuss the technicalities of owning a firearm (not necessarily advocating it, just want to know things like what others do, what are the laws in other states, etc.) and the thread devolves to "you should" "no you shouldn't".

So far this thread hasn't gone that far...
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:54 PM   #39
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We've hit the legal high-points, and seen some good advice about methods of carry and/or storage.

To explain how forums work, you need to think what would happen, if someone asks,
"how many forum members does it take to change a light bulb"...

there will be a discussion about wattage, LED versus fluorescent versus incandescent bulbs, the term "light" versus "lamp", the best sources to buy such things, various methods of how to actually change one, several Youtube videos, and someone will want to talk about flashlights!

They are organic conversations that can end up anywhere: the sky is the limit!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:04 PM   #40

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
I never said I advocate or want people to carry. I said its everyones right to carry if they want. Obviously I would prefer they practice and have proper training.

And just to be clear I am not gun nut fanatic. I only own 4 handguns. One belonged to my late uncle, two duty handguns, and the shield I carry now. And a couple of shotguns that I used for bird hunting. No Ar15s or anything like that. But I am an NRA member and believe if its legal buy and own what ever you like.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote