Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2018, 12:36 AM   #81
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
A 12 gauge in such close quarters is... messy!
A .410 is much handier, and just as scary (if you're looking at the wrong end of it...)

Old 06-06-2018, 08:26 PM   #82

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 45AT
State: Alaska
THOR #7867
I like my S&W Governor the best of both worlds!
Old 06-06-2018, 10:27 PM   #83
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Some folks don't like firearms very much...

So rather than leave them out of the fun: we give ou this!

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:43 PM   #84

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhamm View Post
We'll be hitting the road full time in July/August and I'm wondering about carrying a firearm for protection. I don't hunt and don't plan to, so the gun would be just for protection. Best case scenario is I'll never have to use it, but as I learned from the Army: plan for the worst, hope for the best.

My questions are: what, if any, type of gun do you carry; why that type; and what about the various state/federal laws?

Thanks,
Larry
As others have mentioned, my suggestion would be a shotgun for several reasons:
1. Unless you are going to practice a lot with a handgun, you are not likely to hit your target.
2. Carrying a handgun from state to state requires checking each state's regulations.
3. You have much greater fear factor with a shotgun.

Point 3 is my personal deciding factor. I honestly don't know if I have it in me to shoot another human being. Maybe, but I just don't know for sure. My goal would be to scare the varmints away. Opening my RV door with a shot gun in my arms would undoubtedly have the fear factor I am looking for.

With all that said, it depends on your goal. The shotgun would protect your home (or RV in this case) but wouldn't do much if out at a local restaurant since you would not have it on you.

For me, it is to protect us when we are at the campsite and the shotgun suits me.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:50 PM   #85
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
...I honestly don't know if I have it in me to shoot another human being. Maybe, but I just don't know for sure.
If you don't know for sure that you could pull the trigger in what could be a "Do, or ie" situation: don't carry ANY firearm with you.
If you were to hesitate at that critical second: you could be the one going out "toes-up".
Old 06-06-2018, 11:01 PM   #86

State: Florida
THOR #1249
A few pearls of wisdom from the late great Col. Cooper.

"My pistol is what I use until I can get to my rifle"

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck"

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If you have a gun, what in the hell do you have to be paranoid for?"
Old 06-06-2018, 11:29 PM   #87
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Amen...
Old 06-06-2018, 11:38 PM   #88

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I don't think most of us know for sure unless faced with the situation. I still hold to my views...shotgun
Old 06-07-2018, 12:47 AM   #89

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
The only caveat to this thread is Canada. If you plan to travel in Canada you had better not have a hand gun in your rig. It's automatic jail time.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:49 AM   #90

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Colorado
THOR #10103
I’v Updated my arsenal. I now carry a 30-30 model 94, the 1911 45 and how a 20ga. Ithaca pump shotgun. The 94 is store and is used only when camping in the open desert. ~
Old 06-07-2018, 01:25 AM   #91

Model: Tuscany 45AT
State: Alaska
THOR #7867
Never lie if you have a weapon on board in Canada. They won't buy dumb excuses. If you don't think you can pull the trigger don't even carry it will be used on you.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:17 AM   #92

Model: Axis RUV 24.1
THOR #9288
Firearms while in travel in your mh

I'm a retired LEO Fed and keep my American Express in my wallet but I always take my Glocks with me. My normal carry now is a Glock 43 single stack and my backup is a Glock 19. I have a CCW for the State of New York but I also have both weapons on my HR 218 carry permit as the HR 218 gives me the right to carry in every state in the US and her territories.
With the HR 218 you need to qualify once a year at a range that is permitted to do the qualifications and there is a charge / fee that has to be paid as well as you furnishing your own ammo. NY has no recaps with any state due to it's wacky Safe Act!,
After the HR 218 was passed here in NY for retired LEO's the Congress and senate drafted and approved a version for themselves. Some of these elected officials want you to give up your right to carry but will never tell you they carry in and out of state and they also have protection assigned to them...go figure!
K9 Piper!
Old 06-07-2018, 09:48 AM   #93

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Lots of different opinions, lots of different options, lots of different backgrounds.

Do what you feel you’re big enough to get away with!!! I carry a Glock 21 .45 auto just to make my wife happy. Personally I prefer my USMC KaBar, it’s legal to have in the MH, and allows you to get up close and personal!
Old 06-07-2018, 11:02 AM   #94

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
We always trained at 7 and 12 yards. In most cases there's need to use it if you're further away. MH's are small and swing ratios are vital. It's not so much the choice of hardware but the choice of software...the bullet specific to the environment (heavier clothes in winter, etc.). Have lots of options but carry based on perceived threats. It's whatever you feel most comfortable and capable with. You will be face a civil lawsuit regardless of how LE charges you or acquits you. Make SURE you are in a serious, life threatening situation or you'll have a tough time defending yourself. And YES...when it comes to my family...no issues...DRT!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:02 PM   #95
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
The only caveat to this thread is Canada. If you plan to travel in Canada you had better not have a hand gun in your rig. It's automatic jail time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recguide10 View Post
Never lie if you have a weapon on board in Canada. They won't buy dumb excuses. If you don't think you can pull the trigger don't even carry it will be used on you.
"Abso...dang-lutely"!!
Canada's rules are different than ours down here: don't give the Border Agents a reason to take a close look at you and your rig!
Obey their laws, and avoid a nasty mess!
Old 06-07-2018, 12:16 PM   #96
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
"Abso...dang-lutely"!!
Canada's rules are different than ours down here: don't give the Border Agents a reason to take a close look at you and your rig!
Obey their laws, and avoid a nasty mess!
Sort of tangential to this discussion: We were "inspected" in Canada about two years ago on our way in. (We usually make an annual camping trip to Canada.) It looked like at least a dozen agents all filed into our Axis... I have no idea how they could have looked at anything other than themselves; was actually pretty funny at the time. Meanwhile I walked around the coach with another officer opening all the outside hatches so he could inspect that.

Of course, with them all being Canadian, everyone was very respectful and nice.. LOL
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:33 PM   #97

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Canada is beautiful but I have no reason to go back. There's enough shared knowledge between countries that should clear you with a Pass Port scan, if they wanted to work that way. Randomly rummaging through your coach looking for "whatever they drop" or can find is a violation of personal rights and a search without reasonable cause. It's their country and they can do what they want...as for me...there's enough beauty here to not need theirs.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:50 PM   #98
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
...Randomly rummaging through your coach looking for "whatever they drop" or can find is a violation of personal rights and a search without reasonable cause...
Unless you're pretty knowledgeable about Canadian Laws: don't be too quick to judge them based upon our laws down here...
I almost got tangled-up in a "Border Incident" back in 1989...
A couple of us were driving to Montreal in order to hunt Caribou up near the Ungava Bay. We took two vehicles because our plan was to use mine to carry the meat, hides and horns home, while they carried out gear.
My buddy approached the Border first. Throughout the drive North: he had been lecturing me on the CB to NOT mess with the Border Agents. (He knew my sense of humor!)
He drives up, and I see them talking... Suddenly the Agent points a finger at him, and starts waving it. His hands come out the window, and he's gesticulating about something. (I don't know what's going on; it can't be good!)
Finally: The Agent gives a disgusted wave of her hand, and he's allowed to enter Canada...
I pull up: expecting to be shot!
She asks me why I'm here. I say that I'm going on a Hunting trip with Safari Nordik, and we leave from Montreal.
She asks me if I'm with THAT Guy... I say yes... rather meekly!
She waves me on through...

About a mile North of the Border: I CB my buddy, and ask what the Hell just happened!
"She asked me if I had any guns... I said that I had my hunting gear", was his reply.
Because he didn't say that he had guns: the encounter got ugly!
Old 06-07-2018, 12:52 PM   #99

THOR #1249
Addendum to:
A few pearls of wisdom from the late great Col. Cooper.
Not sure the Col. said it, but is good advice:

"Never bring a knife to a gun fight"
Old 06-07-2018, 01:02 PM   #100
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Didn't he also say that there's no Second-Place winner: in a gunfight?