Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-21-2021, 01:47 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I dunno... Waffle House always seems to be pretty good to me.
(But I can eat stuff that'd make a Billy-Goat throw up! )
Myself, I like homecookin' on the road and it's cheaper. If we eat on the road it's usually Cracker Barrel or a nice sit down place. I LOVE Waffle House but not the wifey, so I don't do WH unless I'm alone...

Old 06-21-2021, 03:08 AM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
When traveling We put a roast/stew/etc in the crockpot, place on a rubber hot mat in the sink and run inverter for power....WARNING!!!! DO NOT FORGET to bungie the Lid Down! When everything starts to really smell good.. Time to park and prepare the rest of the 'fix'ns.. by then It's Ready to eat..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181122_133116 (2).jpg
Views:	62
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	31521  
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 08:51 PM   #23

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
TRIP PREPARATION:

I would like to get others comments on how long does it take you to prep for a trip and what steps do you do NOT forget anything?

1) 3 days prior to the trip, we plug in RV, set the Refrigerator up.
2) Fuel tanks, fill or flush out fresh water.
3) Buy propane for the grill, go shopping for groceries,

4) I have checked tire pressure, washed RV. cleaned RV.

5) Then starts the move in. Dog food, people food, water, toilet paper, paper towels, tissues,

6) off comes the bedding protective covers, on goes the bedspread, sheets, pillows.

7) One day to load the clothes, towels.

8) 2 Days before trip. Load the refrigerator. paper cups, paper plates, chips, salsa, nuts, cereal, sugar, milk, sode, Booze.

9) Day of trip. Dog, dog leash, dog bed, dog treats, dog sheet for the bed. dog bed. Final food,

10) day of trip. Un hook electric, make sure all compartments are locked! propane, and refrigerator clamps are secure, load the trip into my cell phone, drop the car off.

11) in summer. Run AC units in the back of RV to keep RV cool. Turn the Refrig to Inverter AC pwr, set rear camera up.

12) Make sure i un hooked electric, start the RV. slide back all the window curtains. Make sure the dog is happy looking out her doggy window. Have the Mrs. set. seat belts on.

13) I slowly pull from my spot, check each mirror to ensure nothing is hanging from RV... And start the drive....
Old 08-25-2021, 09:39 PM   #24

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Seriously here is what we do and we have done 30 day and 90 day trips. Create a numbered word doc list and walk each room in your house and put on the list what you need.

Also we use bpa free frozen food trays from Amazon
Pre cook and freeze
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 10:00 PM   #25

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
At the beginning of each season, we load all non-perishables in... TP, paper towels, plates, cups, utensils, etc. I also have my "tool shed" - probably overkill... Those stay all season. We usually keep a few changes of clothes in there... hats, jackets etc.

No cleaning is needed... I do all that before winter hibernation... then also immediately after each trip. Check tires, check fluids, clean windshield if needed, and we're rolling. Propane if needed is a couple miles out of town... usually get gas then if needed, but I usually fill up at the end of each trip.

We can go about a week on fridge groceries. We plan by making menus and lists. For us, cooking/eating in the RV is part of the fun... and we know exactly what we're eating!
Old 08-25-2021, 10:11 PM   #26

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Try some Haggis: it'll get your guts ready for anything that you can choke down!
Man: My Dad and GreatgrandPa would make that when I was a kid. My Dad was first generation American. My grandpa was Scottish. We had all that food around. Kipper herring every Sunday. That for your post. reminded me of my late Dad, and his Dad and granddad.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 10:28 PM   #27

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I also break out my Blackstone grill and cook breakfast and/or dinner on it as much as possible. We also have a crockpot for stews and chili.

Paul
Old 09-17-2021, 10:50 AM   #28

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Living in the deep south we have the advantage of not really having an RV season. Sort of like my motorcycle riding, season is 364 days a year. I don't go out on January 1 since too many people with hangovers making it less safe.

But in RVs, the RV is kept stocked and prepared with non perishables. Beds are cleaned after a trip and remade or clean sheets/towels put back in. We don't try to pack everything for a long trip certainly not a 76 day trip. Foodstuffs for a week or 2 and then we'll shop again. If there's not a suitable grocery near you, you passed one on the way there. For me I'll carry some remade foodstuffs I can nuke for a quick meal. Pot pies, etc plus some portions of homemade chile or similar. But we also cook on trips and much prefer a freshly prepared grilled salmon and salad to a "casserole". We do go out occasionally especially when it's something notable for the area, but generally we like our cooking better.

We've made 6 trips this year so far and varied in length for 1-4 weeks. Probably do a couple short ones before years end. Today I'll be cleaning out and restocking the Omni so we're ready for the next one. I'd hate to think that it would be in storage for several months at a time.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 01:01 PM   #29

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Nice we have made 15 trips this year. We take up to 2 weeks of frozen cooked at home. Shop on road. Cook. Rarely eat out. Salads 75%. Wife does not cook. I have cooked for 45 years so she just requests type of food. 1st full winter trip coming..away 4 to 5 months. What a great life!
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote