Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2017, 10:53 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37 LX
State: Florida
THOR #7853
Ft Wilderness shake down trip

Hi guys, just got back yesterday from our maiden voyage. We did a quick 2 nights at Disney with our mutts just to check everything out.

The trip went really well, just a few minor things to address. We made 2 running lists , one with things to be fixed or looked at, the other with things we need to add to our RV.

Went over to the Magic Kingdom for a few hours one day, but spent most of the trip just relaxing.

One thing that has been spoken of recently in here is the TVs. 2 of our TVs (living room and outside) found the cable channels and the bedroom TV only found air channels. I suspect it is an older model since the start up screen looks different from the other 2. Dealer will certainly be hearing about that.

Still trying to figure out how the living room TV sound bar works. LOL

One dash 12v outlet not working, and drawer under the dinette needs adjustment since it won't stay closed while traveling. Like I said, pretty minor stuff so far. Our dogs are LOVING the new ride.

I wanted to see how it would handle before doing any mods. Not too bad, but was interesting with I 4 construction in Orlando. Will definitely be doing the CHF and addition a steering stabilizer in the near future. We made it to Disney and home in 3/4 tank of gas. Not sure I want to check the gas mileage yet. (I can't handle the truth ;-) )

Can't wait for the next trip !!!

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:11 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Sounds like you had a nice trip, glad things went well! Glad the pooches were comfortable too! Lol

Now that you've driven the coach some to see how it handles I think you'll be very surprised at the difference when you do the CHF and add a steering stabilizer. Let us know what you think after you do the mods.

Best wishes for many more fun trips!
Old 07-13-2017, 11:12 AM   #3

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
Shake down cruise

Glad your land yacht didn't have any major negative surprises. Your repair list is pretty benign. Sounds like your dealer did good prep work. When you bring to the dealer with your list of minor repairs, have them either fix/diagnose immediately--don't leave the coach to sit on their lot for weeks, your unit is still usable while you wait for the dealer to order parts and bring you back in for a day or two at most to get the work done when the parts arrive (if you even need parts).
If you haven't gotten an alignment, you should also ask the dealer to do an alignment, or better yet reimburse you for one. The other steering/suspension modifications--CHF, steering stabilizer-- can be done at the same time as the alignment, saving you a trip.
Enjoy your new toy.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:51 AM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Good to hear you had a relatively good shake down.

TVs, unless you want to vent steam the dealer had nothing to do with the televisions installed in your coach. That was a Thor decision. In my Challenger I got 2 Seiki TVs (living area and bedroom) and a Continu US (outside). The outside TV includes a QAM tuner and I replaced the living area TV with a 46 inch Sharp.

Sound Bar - sound should be coming from the bar, and possibly a sub-woofer, directly when it is turned on. You may have to set the audio output on the TV. Sound will not come out of the speakers above the couch since you do not have a surround sound system. The reason I say possibly for the sub-woofer is that Thor informed me that the sub-woofer was removed from the 37ND in 2015. The electrical diagram also shows the electrical outlet for the sub-woofer was removed in 2015. Low and behold when one of the cats got under the couch, during the retrieval process I found the sub-woofer plugged into the electrical outlet under the couch but not connected to the sound bar. I will have to remove the TV from the wall to fish out the audio wires for the sub-woofer to connect it to the sound bar. That for me is an extremely low priority right now.

MPG - I get between 7 and 8.5 depending on speed, roads, weather and the amount of metal in my foot on any given day. The 80 gallon take makes for a nice cruising range but can be a total shock when you pull into a station that has premium only for one reason or another.

Enjoy the ride. We are on the 3rd season with our Challenger and have enjoyed every trip.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:23 PM   #5

State: North Carolina
THOR #6026
Love camp wilderness. I don't even want to go in the parks, just want to bike and ride in the golf cart.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:52 PM   #6

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
I4? God bless you. Hate that road. I usually take back roads into Disney; much more pleasant drive and views.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:25 PM   #7

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5374
I-4 is like running the gauntlet , at least the reward is Disney World.
I imagine it will be great when the construction is finished .

Fort Wilderness is my new favorite place , such a relaxing atmosphere .

I would love to go around Christmas time .
Old 07-13-2017, 08:49 PM   #8

Model: Four Winds 22B
THOR #5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post

I4 will never be finished this project is for 7 years that's why I retired don't have to drive it no more we go every 3 months next trip is for 2 weeks end of September

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:36 PM   #9

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
Thanks for the after action report! Having the same model / year RV as you (bought the same week) I'm always interested in what you have to report!
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:20 PM   #10

THOR #7853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
Thanks for the after action report! Having the same model / year RV as you (bought the same week) I'm always interested in what you have to report!
I think we both picked them up on the same day Mike ! [emoji41] You're gonna love it.

<'))))>(
Old 07-13-2017, 10:23 PM   #11

THOR #7853
Quote:

We are already planning a Halloween trip with my wife's cousin and their TT and we are planning on going for Christmas. Next trip down for us will be next month with the grandkids for a week. Thank God for annual passes. Stupid rat.

<'))))>(
Old 07-21-2017, 07:18 PM   #12

THOR #5374
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Pirate View Post
We are already planning a Halloween trip with my wife's cousin and their TT and we are planning on going for Christmas. Next trip down for us will be next month with the grandkids for a week. Thank God for annual passes. Stupid rat.
To say I am jealous is an understatement , our next trip is in February .
Since we have annual passes I may try and talk the wife into a trip in early December so we can see the place decorated for Christmas.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:53 PM   #13

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
Quote:
To say I am jealous is an understatement , our next trip is in February .
Since we have annual passes I may try and talk the wife into a trip in early December so we can see the place decorated for Christmas.
Good luck getting reservations this close to Christmas.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:46 PM   #14

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Halloween & Christmas are both unbelievable at Ft Wilderness. Many of the campers decorate their sites and golf carts.

We were at Ft Wilderness the second week in December this past year. We were on the first site in the 1600 loop. The first & second sites on 1600 have relatively large open flat fields behind them. Disney holds the second site on 1600 open for the same man every year for the whole month of December. He has a large Tiffin MH and pulls a large enclosed trailer (like they use for race cars). In that trailer are his Christmas decorations (he has over 220 blowup decorations of every variety). We were on the site next to him and the decorations must have been in a space 30 X 30 yards. There were so many lights we thought we were on the Las Vegas Strip.

So if you are at FW over Christmas head up to the 1600 loop behind the yellow line bus stop. He'll be there in all his holiday glory.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:49 PM   #15

THOR #5374
it's a moot point anyway, I don't think she will be willing to go since we were just there and will be going again in early February.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:00 AM   #16

Model: 2017 Windsport 34F
State: Michigan
THOR #7673
Heading there for the first time this Sunday. Currently in Fancy Gap...beautiful here.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:51 AM   #17

Brand: Jayco
Model: Alante
State: West Virginia
THOR #5597
Be careful going down Fancy Gap. It's not as steep as some, but it's long. Good chance to overheat the brakes.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:38 PM   #18

THOR #7853
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
Halloween & Christmas are both unbelievable at Ft Wilderness. Many of the campers decorate their sites and golf carts.

We were at Ft Wilderness the second week in December this past year. We were on the first site in the 1600 loop. The first & second sites on 1600 have relatively large open flat fields behind them. Disney holds the second site on 1600 open for the same man every year for the whole month of December. He has a large Tiffin MH and pulls a large enclosed trailer (like they use for race cars). In that trailer are his Christmas decorations (he has over 220 blowup decorations of every variety). We were on the site next to him and the decorations must have been in a space 30 X 30 yards. There were so many lights we thought we were on the Las Vegas Strip.

So if you are at FW over Christmas head up to the 1600 loop behind the yellow line bus stop. He'll be there in all his holiday glory.
Thanks for the heads up. We will definitely check it out for Christmas. We like the loops closer to the lake and outpost since we bring our 2 mutts with us.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:24 PM   #19

THOR #5374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderdog View Post
Good luck getting reservations this close to Christmas.
Out of curiosity I have been plugging in some fort wilderness dates into the Disney website looking at December reservations .
Interestingly enough openings do pop up where there had not been any previously.
Otherwise it is booked solid Thanksgiving thru Christmas but it looks like if you keep checking you could come up with something .
Old 07-23-2017, 10:03 PM   #20

Model: Four Winds 22B
THOR #5326
Quote:
Out of curiosity I have been plugging in some fort wilderness dates into the Disney website looking at December reservations .
Interestingly enough openings do pop up where there had not been any previously.
Otherwise it is booked solid Thanksgiving thru Christmas but it looks like if you keep checking you could come up with something .
We called Disney reservations and they said keep trying everyday the closer to December the more pop up as people cancel especially if weather gets bad up North they don't travel down we were able to get 3 sites next to each other for a week on the 2nd week of December so far we are booked last week of September and first week of November also second week of January will start looking for Christmas soon

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote