Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2018, 12:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #11784
Full Time Living in RV Questions

My wife and I are going from 100% long term (17 years) satisfied living in our apartment community to the point of we don't think this apartment community will be very nice in the future. This is because the long term owners sold out to new owners and the new owners appear to be squeezing every little nickel and dime out of the place causing many long term residents (like us) to move.

Since we were planning on only using the RV for trips, we only bought a 25 foot Thor Vegas 24.1 which fits us perfectly for trips and we enjoy it immensely.

My questions are:

1. If we start living full time in our RV, what are the unexpected surprises?

2. How do we handle overnight RV repairs?

3. How do we handle emergency RV repairs, both same day and overnight?

4. Where do we live if we can't live in our RV?

5. How do we handle medical issues; routine, emergency, and serious? And how are prescriptions filled?

6. Since we probably can't live in our RV until we die, I guess we could eventually move into an assisted living facility. Is this realistic?

7. How is mail and package delivery handled?

8. How do we sell our stuff (including a car and boat) without taking huge losses?

If there are previous discussions regarding these questions, I would love to do more reading if someone wants to point the way.

Thanks,

Michael

Old 09-08-2018, 12:46 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Wow! You sure brought a full plate to the table!
1. Unexpected surprises wouldn't be called that; it we knew what they were.
It's really more about having the ability to adapt to the situation presented at the time. "Rolling with the punches": so to speak!
2, 3 & 4. If you can't be in the rig during a repair episode: there are lots of car rental agencies, and Motels across the Country. (Although I hope that you never have to put them to use!)
5. Why not just keep your Doctors as they are, and plan your trips accordingly? Hospital emergency rooms are meant for those "unexpected occurrences" that get all of us. Put them to good use. Prescriptions can always be mailed to you: find one of those mail forwarding services, and let them handle it...

I think that you may be trying to think too far ahead on some of these issues. Take them one step at a time, and the task will seem less daunting.
Good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 01:02 PM   #3

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
Wife and I lived in RV full time for over 8 years. We used a mail service for mail. We try to get doc to prescribe at least 90 day supply of meds. We try to get back to see doc every six months
Old 09-08-2018, 01:11 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
you've asked a lot of questions in one post.... you'll probably get better answers by having a single concern for each post... too many questions and some of us won't even try to start a response...just too long.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:27 PM   #5

THOR #11784
Thanks for the answers. By the fact that I have posted everything in one post indicates to me that perhaps I'm thinking too much and not enough at the same time, LOL.

Some general conclusions I am beginning to form:

1. Doctors -- Since we will be following the snowbird route we could plan doctors in mid to late fall to mid to early spring.

2. Repairs -- They will be inevitable, so just budget for them and deal with them as they come up.

3. Mail service for regular and drugs.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:56 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Old 09-09-2018, 08:49 AM   #7

State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
That's a big undertaking but if my GF ever decides to retire I'm looking to go the same route.

I imagine you'll be operating out of one central area most of the time. Have you thought about renting a small storage unit so you can stow extra stuff as the seasons come and go. RVs are small and you can only keep so much clothes in them.

You might consider keeping the car, if its a small towable, or trading current car for something towable. Think you'll find once you're situated in one site for a while that it'll be a hassle to bundle everything up to run into town for groceries, the doctor, or a night of dining out.

I, too, love reading and have a large collection of books. But they weigh a ton and take up a lot of space. These I'll donate to the local library and stay with the Book Service on my tablet. You can scan for free ones to download or pay for the latest and greatest.

Most of the other stuff you'll figure out as you encounter them.

Good fortune with your move.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:26 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It often is just as simple as the realization that you have to "roll with the punches"...
Old 11-01-2018, 03:22 PM   #9

THOR #11784
Looks like my wife and I have decided to go full time. We are giving ourselves a year to prepare. One of the things I've got to sell is my beloved 2003 Grady White 208 with low hours 2015 250 hp 4 stroke. It has a camping package, great electronics with 18 inch radar. Also have 8 foot 72 pound Walker Bay and 2017 4 stroke Honda 2 3/8 hp that weighs 29 pounds. I have gotten the solo boating down to a science thru experience. Yes I will list on the for sale section, but hey there are psychological factors in place here in me letting go of my prized stuff.

Anyway any and all full time warnings, comments, clarifications, cautions, comments, clarifications, wisecracks, dumbcracks, advices and any other adjectives, both clean and not so much are definitely welcome.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:44 PM   #10

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Well you have an advantage being in FL... Escapee's have most all the documentation for going full time using FL as your base.
Here is some reading...

https://www.escapees.com/education/domicile/florida/
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 05:18 PM   #11

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Most people that full-time in an RV chose that option. Being "forced" into it causes more of a panic reaction and that lifestyle isn't very accommodating for that situation. Do you have other options...like trading it for a travel trailer and base yourselves somewhere permanent?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 05:56 PM   #12

THOR #11784
We could live in our apartment forever. However since the complex has changed ownership it's not as much fun. We will take a year until our just signed lease runs out.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:05 PM   #13

THOR #11784
Also we are really looking forward to th escape lifestyle. We have thoroughly enjoyed are many week long trips.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:20 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Based uppon your last two posts: you guys have already locked the doors to the apartment, and have got the keys to the RV out and ready!

My advice: Enjoy the adventure!
Old 11-01-2018, 07:14 PM   #15

THOR #11130
Agree...the last two posts eliminated any drama...you're just looking for confirmation...go for it!! Don't overload the coach...throw all that stuff away or give it to the needy.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:03 PM   #16

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVMichael View Post
Thanks for the answers. By the fact that I have posted everything in one post indicates to me that perhaps I'm thinking too much and not enough at the same time, LOL.

Some general conclusions I am beginning to form:

1. Doctors -- Since we will be following the snowbird route we could plan doctors in mid to late fall to mid to early spring.

2. Repairs -- They will be inevitable, so just budget for them and deal with them as they come up.

3. Mail service for regular and drugs.
For my wife and I, I got my computer and typed name, add, blood type, SS, DOB, meds I take daily, alergies and surgeries- dates and places. Then I made copies for my car, truck, RV and in my luggage. This shows a history of my medical needs and makes that aspect easier. For my RV I have a logbook of my repairs so the over and over repairs with no end in sight is less, cause I have the history to look at. Lots if other things you ask, but it's a start.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:20 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Agree...the last two posts eliminated any drama...you're just looking for confirmation...go for it!! Don't overload the coach...throw all that stuff away or give it to the needy.
I agree... I'll even fax you my shipping address!
Old 11-02-2018, 10:54 AM   #18

THOR #11784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Based uppon your last two posts: you guys have already locked the doors to the apartment, and have got the keys to the RV out and ready!

My advice: Enjoy the adventure!
I think you are correct. I feel like a kid with anticipation of something exciting will happen. However the adult in me tempers that reality of being prepared and a need to roll with the unanticipated punches.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:55 AM   #19

THOR #11130
Watch your mouth...Fax you too!!!
Old 11-02-2018, 11:00 AM   #20

THOR #11784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I agree... I'll even fax you my shipping address!
Since I am not a big believer in paying to store my stuff, I will be in the mindset of everything must go, except for the pictures. Since I have a year first I will ask full price, then reduce to half price, then reduce to fire sale price, then haul to Goodwill, then to the dump. BTW, did I mention I have a beloved boat for sale?