Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2017, 10:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.1
State: Arkansas
THOR #6634
Water trickling from city water fill

Ok gang, I'm getting to be a regular here but I need your help again. After a week of using the campground water through the CITY water fill, I unhooked that hose and then using the FRESH water fill, I filled my fresh water tank for the trip home. In a few minutes I noticed that every 60-70 seconds my water pump would come on for a second or two. I couldn't find anything that would indicate a leak inside, but on the outside water was trickling from the CITY water fill. I tried bleeding all the water lines and that seemed to help, but when I got home two days later water was still leaking from the city water port.
Suspecting I had accidentally created a siphon somehow, I drained all the fresh water and of course the trickle stopped. Now however, I've begun to refill (maybe 20 gallons) through the fresh water fill and I'm hearing the pump kick on again every 60 seconds again. I checked outside and water again is trickling from the city water fill. What the heck is going on???

Old 06-18-2017, 10:28 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
You probably have an issue with the check valve in the city water connection. Hopefully its just some debris--otherwise you'll have to get that replaced.

If you take off the screen on the outside you can get a little better look at it.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:28 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
a side question:
why would you fill your tank for the trip back home? is it far away? don't you have water at home? tjx
Old 06-18-2017, 10:37 PM   #4

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
The city water connection has a check built into it, may have some calcium holding it open might try to rinse it out, if not its a simple, inexpensive replacement if you have access behind it to remove the hose, definitely not worth a month long visit to a dealership.
Also if yours is plastic replace it with the brass version, cost a couple $ more, but worth it.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:41 PM   #5

THOR #6634
800 mile trip from Northwest Florida to North Central Arkansas. Slept in Wal-Marts along the way. They wouldn't let me hook up to the garden center!
Old 06-18-2017, 10:55 PM   #6

THOR #6634
Pulled the screen off. Poked around on the little white star shaped plastic piece and shot myself with a stream of water, that the bad news. Good news is that by the time I had quit fussing, the leak had stopped!
Thanks fellows. I'll watch it for a while and and see if it the valve stays shut. If not I'll search for a brass replacement.
This is a great board
Old 06-21-2017, 02:02 PM   #7

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Our old 98 did this all the time. I replaced the entire plastic door assy with a new one. Then, it started leaking after two seasons. I ended up capping it with a regular hose adapter & cap.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:19 PM   #8

THOR #6634
Reasonable and simple solution. Thanks.