Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2020, 02:51 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Rhode Island
THOR #11834
Water leak

Arrived in SC on our way to Florida, spending a night here before we move on in the morning. Having some heavy steady rain, and we just discovered a trace of water that had been slowly streaming down inside wall. I have a 2018 Thor Vegas, 24.1 and the water showed up as a single line of water next to bed. Bed sheet is wet, wall is now dry. It’s about 6 inches to left of window. What can I do? Is this a one time event, it’s never happened before? Any suggestions? Can’t do anything tomorrow, because I have to hit the road early for a 350 mile ride to my destination.

Old 02-01-2020, 07:32 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Any water coming inside is not a one time event. Was it a hard, blowing rain? Not familiar with your coach but is that wall/window on a slide? Are there "weep holes" in the lower window framing? Was the water at the bottom of window or on the walls next to or above window?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 10:54 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Any water coming inside is not a one time event. Was it a hard, blowing rain? Not familiar with your coach but is that wall/window on a slide? Are there "weep holes" in the lower window framing? Was the water at the bottom of window or on the walls next to or above window?
OP mentioned 6" from window so that 'might' take it out of play. Given the mentioned time constraint, I'd take it out of play for now? Save for a last resort? I'd look to the roof.

You're right in that he/she doesn't state where on the wall the leak starts. If it's above the window, the window is out of play and he/she has to look at the roof?

JMHO
Old 02-02-2020, 01:52 AM   #4

State: Rhode Island
THOR #11834
Leak came from above and 6 inches to the left of the window. It was a single line/run of water and stoped on its own. The window is in bedroom and not part of the slide out. The rain was a driving rain most of the evening, but when the leak was discovered, wall was wiped and no other water was seen coming in. My plan is to climb up to the roof tomorrow, see if I can notice anything and hit it with a sealer till I can do more at home. If I don't see anything, I will put sealer along the edge where roof and wall meet, above where leak ran down the wall. Any suggestions for a sealer? I have Flex Seal clear spray. Thanks for your responses.
Old 02-02-2020, 03:22 AM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRob View Post
Leak came from above and 6 inches to the left of the window. It was a single line/run of water and stoped on its own. The window is in bedroom and not part of the slide out. The rain was a driving rain most of the evening, but when the leak was discovered, wall was wiped and no other water was seen coming in. My plan is to climb up to the roof tomorrow, see if I can notice anything and hit it with a sealer till I can do more at home. If I don't see anything, I will put sealer along the edge where roof and wall meet, above where leak ran down the wall. Any suggestions for a sealer? I have Flex Seal clear spray. Thanks for your responses.
Stop at the closest Camping World and get the right stuff: Self-leveling Lap Sealant. They carry two brands: Dicor and a cheaper brand.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:12 AM   #6

Model: 2015 ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4359
Also check your rear view camera and running lights ... mine where leaking.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:45 PM   #7

Model: 31W
State: North Carolina
THOR #15064
I too had a leak coming through a window seal in my 2018 Thor Chateau. Found out they had not installed the window properly at the factory and ended up replacing the window and properly sealing it. This took a couple of months because they either ordered the wrong seal or the wrong seal came in. Not sure who got the blame on that one. In any event, do not ignore it, get it repaired.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:02 PM   #8

Brand: Keystone
State: North Carolina
THOR #5391
Water is never a one and done! Get Dicor and head to the roof. It can come in from far away. Anywhere a hole has been made is suspect

Edgewater 205 EXP
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:41 PM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I don’t have your model but if I recall the floor plan that means the leak is on a sidewall? I would not assume the leak is directly above. Water is tricky. Check every seam and roof/wall penetration very carefully. Usually it’s not too hard to spot the problem IF you look in the right place - and that can be quite a distance away. Then be proactive and study everything about every 3 or 4 months. Good luck.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:12 AM   #10
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Sealant including Dicor can look good, but unless you are on your hands and knees using a pick gently checking the sealant edge, you may miss the unsealed area. If it isn't sealed, the pick will slide under the edge. If there are marker lights or a rear camera in the back, you may need to seal them too. Do not use silicone. It does not stick as well as you think and nothing will stick after it has had silicone on it. Use blue painters tape to keep it neat where calking will be seen. Clear calk where the marker lights are.