Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2017, 02:29 PM   #41

Brand: Dutchmen
Model: Denali 35ES
State: Indiana
THOR #7178
Passed my technician license test along with my daughter. My son who has learning disabilities didn't pass but he is going back Monday to try again.going to help him study more this weekend.

Old 11-03-2017, 03:13 PM   #42

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8223
Congrats.

Paul (N1HOB)
Old 11-03-2017, 03:55 PM   #43

Model: Quantum
State: New York
THOR #9642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol View Post
Just curious how many ham (amateur) radio operators we have on this forum. If you're a ham, give a shout. I've been a ham for about 48 years--my call is WA6DDB and was GW5AXH for a couple of years. I think I was the only female ham (GW5) in Wales at the time.
K2APD Upstate New York

New to forum ....
Old 11-03-2017, 04:19 PM   #44

Model: Chateau 23U
State: California
THOR #9164
Any ham's in so cal interested in having a RV discussion on Keller Peak Repeater (146.385 tone 146.2) ?
I am usually monitoring at 9am During the week.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:46 AM   #45

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4816
Hey, Jackel440,

A big congratulations to you and your daughter and good luck to your son next time around. I admire you for making ham radio a family endeavor.

Carol WA6DDB
Old 11-13-2017, 01:37 AM   #46

Model: Synergy TT24
State: West Virginia
THOR #3433
I'm just curious but have any of you worked Field Day as a solo with your RV, or even part of a club? I ended up with a used Icom IC-751A and I'd like to give it a try just once.
KC8RXQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:05 AM   #47

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I have operated HF at Field Day from an RV during Field Day in June and Winter Field Day. Having a station set up in an RV is ideal for Field Day, particularly since the station can be considered working from non-commercial power if being power by the generator. I operate with an antenna set up at the Field Day site, other than the mobile antenna, so it can be considered part of the club's Field Day operation.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:40 AM   #48

THOR #2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC8RXQ View Post
I'm just curious but have any of you worked Field Day as a solo with your RV, or even part of a club? I ended up with a used Icom IC-751A and I'd like to give it a try just once.
Hi Ed,

I worked FD 2017 from my RV using a Eagle One vertical antenna attached to the ladder, an auto antenna tuner at the base of the antenna, and a Yaesu FT-891. With the rig on 12 VDC, I can use the generator and/or solar panel and it worked great. Ran just a single band, 20 Meter CW but had a ball. Hope next year will be a more exotic location! HI
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	N3EQF Field Day 2017 Antenna.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	7753   Click image for larger version

Name:	N3EQF Field Day 2017 Operating.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	7754  

Old 11-13-2017, 02:49 AM   #49

Model: ACE
State: Georgia
THOR #9143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
I have operated HF at Field Day from an RV during Field Day in June and Winter Field Day. Having a station set up in an RV is ideal for Field Day, particularly since the station can be considered working from non-commercial power if being power by the generator. I operate with an antenna set up at the Field Day site, other than the mobile antenna, so it can be considered part of the club's Field Day operation.
This reminded me, many years ago, during the CB craze, a friend of mine ran his Browning Golding eagle with D&A Phantom amp from the dash of a motorhome as a number of us made a trip to Florida with him for a CB Jamboree.
I forget what he used for an ant.
I like the Golden Eagle, still have one.

Motor home for Field day would be a good thing if you already have an ant up. Or hang a wire in the tree near by.
I've been thinking about trying the Yaesu in my coach at home for a test.
I could connect to the inverted V already there.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:11 PM   #50

THOR #2817
I have used a screwdriver antenna on one of my motor homes with only fair results, though the same antenna worked very well on a custom van. The screwdriver antenna was easy to used for multiple bands, on the fly. Most of my communications from the RV was with a long wire strung through trees or even tall brush where there weren't any trees.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:51 PM   #51

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Minnesota
THOR #4198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
I have used a screwdriver antenna on one of my motor homes with only fair results, though the same antenna worked very well on a custom van. The screwdriver antenna was easy to used for multiple bands, on the fly. Most of my communications from the RV was with a long wire strung through trees or even tall brush where there weren't any trees.
What antenna do you have?

I am looking at a Tarheel. They suggest grounding the ladder (which is where I would mount it)

I don't expect dipole performance out of the screwdriver, but it would be a nice easy setup to use at times.

73, John K0TG
RadioRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:52 PM   #52

THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioRanger View Post
What antenna do you have?

I am looking at a Tarheel. They suggest grounding the ladder (which is where I would mount it)

I don't expect dipole performance out of the screwdriver, but it would be a nice easy setup to use at times.

73, John K0TG
I no longer have the antenna. It was designed and built by someone in CA several years ago. From what I've heard of the Tarheel antennas, they are quite good. Yes, grounding is usually the issue with HF mobile antennas.

I built a steel antenna mount for the screwdriver antenna and it was attached to the frame on the driver's side of the RV just forward of the front wheel. I wanted the antenna where I could see it move and also know if it was set to the approximate amount of extension for the band I was working. It was grounded well, but I suspect the aluminum body on the RV was the problem. I couldn't mount the antenna high enough to minimize the effect of the metal side and roof.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:30 PM   #53

State: California
THOR #10098
KI6SLD
KA7AIX before that, when I lived in Alaska.

Big Bear Lake, CA
Old 11-23-2017, 04:02 PM   #54

THOR #2817
Welcome to the thread.
N1VE
Old 11-23-2017, 04:48 PM   #55

THOR #4816
So pleased to see more hams signing in.

Carol
WA6DDB
Old 11-23-2017, 04:54 PM   #56

Brand: Dutchmen
Model: Denali 35ES
State: Indiana
THOR #7178
Quote:
Hey, Jackel440,

A big congratulations to you and your daughter and good luck to your son next time around. I admire you for making ham radio a family endeavor.

Carol WA6DDB
Thanks and my son passed his test on that Monday. We have an awesome club in Miami county,IN that has helped start 100 new hams in the last 4yrs. They started two clubs at 2 different schools. We have lots of home schooled kids as well. Happy thanksgiving and 73s
KD9JQH (me)
KD9JQJ (daughter)
KD9JRA (son)
Old 12-16-2017, 02:08 AM   #57

Model: A.C.E. 29.3
THOR #8483
Quote:
Just curious how many ham (amateur) radio operators we have on this forum. If you're a ham, give a shout. I've been a ham for about 48 years--my call is WA6DDB and was GW5AXH for a couple of years. I think I was the only female ham (GW5) in Wales at the time.
N3GI from New Smyrna Beach, FL. Thor A.C.E. 29.3 that is 4 months new to us. Carried my Yaseau 857D with my LDG tuner and an Alpha milstick collapsible vertical I have jaw-clamped to a S.S. rod I drive into the ground outside the RV. Whole rig fits inside a small wheeled suitcase small enough to fit in any underseat storage area in the A.C.E. Alpha makes a great portable vertical for use like this or for field days. My default frequency is the Maritime Mobile nets on 14.300. After all, it is my "land yacht" now that I'm not aboard!

PeteClick image for larger version

Name:	2017-12-15-21-00-28.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	8247
Old 12-16-2017, 06:03 AM   #58

Model: ACE
State: Georgia
THOR #9143
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubes3 View Post
N3GI from New Smyrna Beach, FL. Thor A.C.E. 29.3 that is 4 months new to us. Carried my Yaseau 857D with my LDG tuner and an Alpha milstick collapsible vertical I have jaw-clamped to a S.S. rod I drive into the ground outside the RV. Whole rig fits inside a small wheeled suitcase small enough to fit in any underseat storage area in the A.C.E. Alpha makes a great portable vertical for use like this or for field days. My default frequency is the Maritime Mobile nets on 14.300. After all, it is my "land yacht" now that I'm not aboard!

PeteAttachment 8247
Hi Pete,
Sounds great. ACE 29.3 here as well.
I have a new (never used) LDG auto tuner I purchased several years ago for the FT2000 but have never pulled it from the box.
Been running the MFJ Versa Tuner for the past 112 years and it still works great.
Maybe I just found a good use for the new one.
I should be able to use the FT2000 with the LDG tuner in the coach when I get more info on your Ant.
Toss out a few photos when you have time.
73's
Old 12-24-2017, 12:23 AM   #59

THOR #2817
VHF Installation, 2015 Windsport K-27

I built an antenna mount that attaches to the lower driver side mirror mounting holes. I used 1/4" x 2" stainless steel lag bolts and SS washers in place of the Phillips screws that hold the mirror. The mounting bracket is 1/4" x 1.5" x 1.5" aluminum angle. The antenna is an old 2-meter GAM (manufactured in Manchester, NH). It's a half wave so it doesn't require a ground plane. SWR about 1.5 to 1. Excellent report from our local repeater.

The radio is an old Icom IC-2100, sitting on the doghouse. Power from one of the 12-volt power outlets on the dash. Eventually I will run a 12 power cable from the engine battery.

Old 12-24-2017, 01:26 AM   #60

State: Washington
THOR #6782
Nice Antenna Mount

Very nice job on the mount. Clean

KE7FHK
fknapp is offline   Reply With Quote