Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2017, 11:23 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
As was pointed out, the pharmaceutical regulations have gotten much more restrictive. And, as Laco said, meds while traveling require you to work with your insurance company and your doctor and plan ahead. It may or may not be a doctor issue in this case.

The original post left out a lot of important details, and the responses described many scenarios. It wasn't stated what sort of meds, what insurance if any or how long of a trip. Hope something here was of good help!

Old 08-30-2017, 01:25 AM   #22

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
Some meds, if not on the restricted lists, can be picked up by family members. I wonder if a person could have an adult child, sibling, etc pick up their refill and Fed Ex it to you on the road.

For us, we've been traveling and had a Rx at WalMart or a Walgreens, and had no problems getting a refill at the same chain in another state, so long as our Rx still had refills left on it.
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:26 AM   #23

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve76 View Post
I'm also on restricted script meds and have been for over 4 years. PITA. Have to pick up script at Dr's. office only for a 28 day supply. Have had my Dr. right an extra amount for last couple months but traveling more than 1 month would be a real issue that would land me in ER if without the med. I use. We can all thank the FDA and other Fed. depts. for punishing all that need certain meds that we don't abuse for the few idiots that use them for "recreational" use. Recreational, a really stupid description of certain meds that are one's that will only work for us/those who are living with chronic pain conditions, mine brought to me/you from wounds from the military in Nam that 2 surgeries have actually made worse for me.
Steve, thank you for your service. I'm sorry you're having these problems, you deserve the best care that can be given. - Mike
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:35 AM   #24

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve76 View Post
I'm also on restricted script meds and have been for over 4 years. PITA. Have to pick up script at Dr's. office only for a 28 day supply. Have had my Dr. right an extra amount for last couple months but traveling more than 1 month would be a real issue that would land me in ER if without the med. I use. We can all thank the FDA and other Fed. depts. for punishing all that need certain meds that we don't abuse for the few idiots that use them for "recreational" use. Recreational, a really stupid description of certain meds that are one's that will only work for us/those who are living with chronic pain conditions, mine brought to me/you from wounds from the military in Nam that 2 surgeries have actually made worse for me.
Welcome home Brother. From one vet to another, no sweat if you are traveling and run out of meds, just find the closest VA medical facility and get your drugs.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:28 PM   #25

Model: 2014 Windsport 34f
State: Alabama
THOR #6507
Being retired military we use Tricare Prime and receive a 90 day supply of meds.

I get 5 different pills, no narcotics. Our primary care doctor is based in Columbus, GA (Military Facility)

I hope these new changes don't affect us.
Toad: (Wally One) 2014 Fiat 500L Trekking (4 Down)
"Welcome to our front porch"
rickymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:38 PM   #26
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickymac View Post
Being retired military we use Tricare Prime and receive a 90 day supply of meds.

I get 5 different pills, no narcotics. Our primary care doctor is based in Columbus, GA (Military Facility)

I hope these new changes don't affect us.
USN retired. We use Tricare standard with Express Scripts. Easy to manage meds online, can change shipping address permanently or temporarily at the drop of a hat, and if you need a new script for maintenance meds they contact your doctor for you to get the new script.

All Doctors can send scripts to them electronically except for narcotics/restricted scripts which you have to mail to them.

I believe Express Scripts is available to anyone whose health insurance has contracted with them for prescriptions.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:15 PM   #27

Model: 2014 Windsport 34f
State: Alabama
THOR #6507
Thanks Tfryman,

Yes, we have looked at changing from Tricare Prime to Tricare Standard. When we go full time, we may switch to Standard.

We currently spend most of our time at home near Ft Benning, GA and we love our primary (Military) doctor. If needed, she will send out scripts anywhere.
Toad: (Wally One) 2014 Fiat 500L Trekking (4 Down)
"Welcome to our front porch"
rickymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:24 PM   #28
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickymac View Post
Thanks Tfryman,

Yes, we have looked at changing from Tricare Prime to Tricare Standard. When we go full time, we may switch to Standard.

We currently spend most of our time at home near Ft Benning, GA and we love our primary (Military) doctor. If needed, she will send out scripts anywhere.
We were just at Fort Benning over the Memorial Day weekend. We have camped at their campground several times. One of my DW's closest friends lives in Phenix City so we generally have to make a trip up there in the spring time so they can drag us to Callaway Gardens. This last trip we visited the Infantry Museum; very interesting.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:24 PM   #29

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
THOR #3610
We don't have any of the hard stuff just typical old folks pills, blood presdure, cholesterol, & get a 12 month prescription from our primary care doctor & have gotten them filled all across the country at Walgreens, tried Wal-Mart's & they just kept messing up on them.
My insurance wants to use Express Scrpits (mail order) for 90 day supplies, but they will only ship to our mailing address which isn't where we're ever at, as we are fulltime & our address is a UPS mail forwarding.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 03:54 PM   #30
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
We don't have any of the hard stuff just typical old folks pills, blood presdure, cholesterol, & get a 12 month prescription from our primary care doctor & have gotten them filled all across the country at Walgreens, tried Wal-Mart's & they just kept messing up on them.
My insurance wants to use Express Scrpits (mail order) for 90 day supplies, but they will only ship to our mailing address which isn't where we're ever at, as we are fulltime & our address is a UPS mail forwarding.
Express Scripts allows you to easily change both your Permanent and Temporary shipping addresses:

Old 08-30-2017, 04:03 PM   #31
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Recently, we were camping in Colorado with several family members...one of the boys had an asthma issue due to the altitude & cooler weather...they live in Florida..and he never needs his inhaler there ... they simply forgot it. They went to a local pharmacy/urgent care facility...once again, the issue was with the doctor...he didn't want to give them a prescription without an office visit !! Good grief...after several long conversations with the doctors office, they finally got a prescription for an inhaler...Crazy !!! It was like pulling teeth !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:45 AM   #32

State: Alaska
THOR #7980
We have friends! Our stuation is solved for a while at least.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:50 AM   #33

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
If they aren't narcotics/restricted meds I don't see what the issue is with your doctor.

Go to a local urgent care facility and have then write you a new script.
An urgent care facility was going to be my suggestion if it isn't a narcotic.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:16 AM   #34

State: Alaska
THOR #7980
Thanks to all
Old 08-31-2017, 12:21 PM   #35
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Congratulations on finding your way to "The light at the end of the tunnel"!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote