Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2017, 02:38 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #6999
Send a message via Skype™ to sage
High Pointe Convection/Microwave

Our new Vegas has this Microwave and the DW is interested in anyone's experience using it in convection mode. The manual is a little skimpy in details or suggestions on it's use. Also, has anyone tried using it in "Grill" mode? What is this and is it really useful?

Old 04-11-2017, 02:57 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
We've used it to bake a casserole once. Worked pretty well. Just hit the Convec Bake button, select a temp and press start.

(I also use it to exercise the Genny in the winter since I don't want to run the A/C when its -10F out! LOL So I let the convec warm up to 200-250 degrees.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:35 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage View Post
Our new Vegas has this Microwave and the DW is interested in anyone's experience using it in convection mode. The manual is a little skimpy in details or suggestions on it's use. Also, has anyone tried using it in "Grill" mode? What is this and is it really useful?
My wife has used ours 3 or 4 times now and claims it works very well. She did find it confusing initially.
According to her there are several steps outlined in the directions that must be followed to the letter to get it to program and work properly.
If not it will shut off prematurely .
I will tell you that there is nothing like the smell of a lasagna cooking in the coach while you are traveling at 65 mph on I95 !
Old 04-11-2017, 04:39 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Ohio
THOR #7059
We'll have to try the Lasagna on I95 Does anyone know the actual measured wattage the microwave uses on high?

Steve
Old 04-11-2017, 04:53 PM   #5

THOR #6999
Thanks

Now if we can find some info on the Grill mode.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:32 PM   #6

THOR #6999
Grilled!

We took a short one night trip in the middle of the week to one of our favorite parks. DW experimented on me by grilling a small NY Strip steak in the High Pointe. First try she set it in Grill mode G1 for 15 minutes. Warmed it up a little but not near enough. Second try was an additional 20 minutes and still not enough. Third try was another 20 and we were there. 55 minutes to grill a half inch steak?! The taste was fine and it was cooked to right in between rare and medium done, just a little pink on the inside.

Bottom line is that we can get by using this mode and won't give up the basement space for a propane grill right now. But next Fall will probably be a different story.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:28 PM   #7

Model: Siesta Sprinter 24SV
State: Arkansas
THOR #6932
We tried out the grill function on our High Pointe microwave/convection oven a couple of days ago. It seems this would be a nice option to have.

Unfortunately, the grill (on G1) just doesn't get very hot. No toasting of bread after 10 minutes. It does get warm, but would take way too long to really cook anything! It reminded me of those old Easy Bake children's ovens from long ago............a little heat but not much else!

Just wondered if anyone else had any success with this function??
Old 05-13-2017, 02:11 AM   #8

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
I found this manual with a lot more detail on using a convection microwave. Good information on operation, utensils and cookware.
Made the High Pointe a lot easier to understand.

http://www.cuisinart.com/share/pdf/manuals/cmw-200.pdf
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 12:26 PM   #9

Model: Siesta Sprinter 24SV
THOR #6932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan2 View Post
I found this manual with a lot more detail on using a convection microwave. Good information on operation, utensils and cookware.
Made the High Pointe a lot easier to understand.

http://www.cuisinart.com/share/pdf/manuals/cmw-200.pdf
This is great! I really had wondered about types of containers to use for each type of cooking. It has a lot of good info! Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:34 AM   #10

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Kentucky
THOR #9694
turn table

Can you use the glass turn table that comes with the High Pointe during convection cooking?
Old 01-09-2018, 05:29 AM   #11

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by rswoodson View Post
Can you use the glass turn table that comes with the High Pointe during convection cooking?
It's better to use the metal stand above he glass plate to make sure that the air gets all around whatever you are cooking.

I have used the convection to cook biscuits and reheat ribs, chicken, etc.
I have used the grill to grill chicken.

Being a full timer means that I get to test it out all the time.

I like it. But like others, one needs to add time to make it work right.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:23 PM   #12

State: Alaska
THOR #7889
Read the book and do precisely what and you can put enough time on the timer.its a little confusing .
Old 03-11-2020, 06:41 PM   #13
Kip

State: Virginia
THOR #18270
Microwave does not work

I bought a 2016 29H that the seller told me the microwave never did work. I had it checked and they said it was something in the keypad. I just ordered a new one for $289.00 hopefully it will last. The RV only has 2000 miles on it so it wasn't used a lot.

Harland
Old 05-28-2020, 07:06 PM   #14

THOR #19001
Fan noise on these High-Pointe convection ovens

So I also inherited a High-Pointe convection oven with my used RV. It's a model 520EC028BMRB 1.1 cu ft microwave/convection oven. When I first turned it on, I could not help but notice how QUIET it is (when running it in regular microwave mode) compared to any other microwave oven that I've used. There is NO FAN SOUND, just a mild hum from the magnetron when running. Everything heats normally - it's just eerily quiet.

Is this the experience of you guys as well, or do I have a bad fan/oven? I don't want to run it if there's supposed to be a fan running in microwave mode.

Thanks for your time!
Old 05-28-2020, 08:18 PM   #15

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
THOR #12231
I have the same Hi point in my Axis. Yeah it is pretty quiet but we dont use it very much.

I wouldnt say its much quieter than my new microwave at home. Maybe smaller size = quieter? Or perhaps since its build-in all of that fake wood muffels the sound? Or your AC unit make it sound quiet by comparison?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:00 PM   #16

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
I have used the Highpoint and its Ok, the micro works like any other and definitely quieter
than the one at home. Have roasted chicken thighs at 400 F and was slow but turned out great , just added some BBQ sauce and cooked it in a glass pie plate uncovered. Have never tried the broil function and even at home rarely use it so unlikely will try it. The drawbacks are the location of mine (under the cooktop) and the fact you better have the manual handy as the programming is time consuming. I downloaded the manual from the Thor Resource list of manuals.
Coveman2
2018 Thor Compass 23 TB
Old 05-28-2020, 09:23 PM   #17

THOR #19001
Thanks for the quick feedback L&W and CM2. I just ran mine again and I should correct myself in that there does appear to be a slight fan sound and maybe some air flow out of the front bottom when the microwave is running. I'll also have to admit that none of the microwaves I've owned at home have been particularly high-end, so they could be louder than many of the nicer ones. So based on that and your info, I'll go ahead and enjoy my nice, quiet combo oven!

Tags
cooking, high pointe, microwave/convection