Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2023, 10:30 PM   #1301

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy1200 View Post
But if you’re carrying an over weight engineer, be sure to get a four corner weigh and check those damn tire pressures.
I guess on a thread about nothing it is appropriate to list the things about RV Ownership that almost had me afraid to venture into ownership, After 4 years of learning it is all about nothing.

1. Weigh your RV to calculate the Mfg psi setting based on axle and in some cases by tire. I get it if you have a weigh and you wish to apply it to scale, but putting the fear of God to knew owners just creates undue stress
2. The Generator is the worst thing since Hitler syndrome, I still don't get it.
3. Waste tank sensors don't work and you should not expect then too? 4 years and mine work as designed and are very accurate.
4. Slides - It has not been as bad of late, but I use to think I had to get some 2 X 4s to prevent the slide from sliding out why I drive down the road
5. Maybe my favorite, that a Norcold fridge would Never be cold. In Texas heat, I can have ice water / beer if I go to 5 stars on the setting. Fridge is 4 years old.
6. Pleather furniture will peel, my pleather still looks new
7. [CN] Your decals will crack and peel from all the oxidized gelcoat after 3 years...
8. [CN] Your batteries will be dead and unusable after 2 years... better plan on solar panels and lithium batteries.
9. Black tank will clog up due to the Poop buildup and/or lack of water. Some have even claim to have to use high pressure devices or sticks and it still clogs.
10: You need to load your RV up with peppermint balls, Irish Spring soap, or dryer sheet to keep the rats out despite the videos of the Rats eating Irish Spring soap and using the dryer sheets to make nice comfy beds in you cabinetry or drawers.

What others?

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 10:36 PM   #1302

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I guess on a thread about nothing it is appropriate to list the things about RV Ownership that almost had me afraid to venture into ownership, After 4 years of learning it is all about nothing.

1. Weigh your RV to calculate the Mfg psi setting based on axle and in some cases by tire. I get it if you have a weigh and you wish to apply it to scale, but putting the fear of God to knew owners just creates undue stress
2. The Generator is the worst thing since Hitler syndrome, I still don't get it.
3. Waste tank sensors don't work and you should not expect then too? 4 years and mine work as designed and are very accurate.
4. Slides - It has not been as bad of late, but I use to think I had to get some 2 X 4s to prevent the slide from sliding out why I drive down the road
5. Maybe my favorite, that a Norcold fridge would Never be cold. In Texas heat, I can have ice water / beer if I go to 5 stars on the setting. Fridge is 4 years old.

What others?
7. Your decals will crack and peel from all the oxidized gelcoat after 3 years...

8. Your batteries will be dead and unusable after 2 years... better plan on solar panels and lithium batteries.
Old 05-19-2023, 10:58 PM   #1303

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
7. Your decals will crack and peel from all the oxidized gelcoat after 3 years...

8. Your batteries will be dead and unusable after 2 years... better plan on solar panels and lithium batteries.
Added

7. [CN] Your decals will crack and peel from all the oxidized gelcoat after 3 years...
8. [CN] Your batteries will be dead and unusable after 2 years... better plan on solar panels and lithium batteries.
9. Black tank will clog up due to the Poop buildup and/or lack of water. Some have even claim to have to use high pressure devices or sticks and it is still clogs.
10: You need to load your RV up with peppermint balls, Irish Spring soap, or dryer sheet to keep the rats out despite the videos of the Rats eating Irish Spring soap and using the dryer sheets to make nice comfy beds in you cabinetry or drawers.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 05-19-2023, 11:21 PM   #1304

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
So,
Suspension engineers are very very wrong so we add
Sumos
Airbags
Steering dampers
Sway bars
Links

But
Weight engineers are correct to the very very ounce.

Huh.
I get it now.

Missing the point! It’s all about money. The suspension is a simple as it possibly can be. To save money. The weight limit is as high as they can remotely justify. So they can sell more chassis. And make money.
Old 05-19-2023, 11:39 PM   #1305

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post

9. Black tank will clog up due to the Poop buildup and/or lack of water. Some have even claim to have to use high pressure devices or sticks and it still clogs.

What others?
Sure glad you are paying attention and taking notes!
Old 05-19-2023, 11:42 PM   #1306

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
The point is;
Sufferers choose to suffer.
If they had faith, they'd either dismiss it all insyead of as it suits, or adopt it all instead of as it suits.

But
1/3 tankers
I don't use my black tank
I drive ay 55mph in an 80mph zone
Can't be made to see logic, I guess I'll believe adhere to the ounce folks can't either.

But
Scaring newbs is tantamount to sabotage.

Just like turning off propane to fill with gasoline is mythical lucky,, you show me 1:1,000,000 certified RV weight breakages of frame or axle, and I'll give you the 1:1,000,000.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 02:10 AM   #1307

THOR #13058
I was reading two recent threads on another forum and the topic from the OPs were...

One Thread...
OP was wanting to know how he could disable his day time running lights. Of course few people were trying to provide the techni-nese on how to do, when finally the questions came as to WHY? The OP said because because he felt running the lights was a waste of time and money, he went on to elaborate by disabling the DRL; he could save bulbs getting more life out of his existing bulbs. He further stated that he worry when the bulbs may run out with the DRL always on He finally concluded under duress created by those with common sense he would buy extra bulbs to carry with him.

On another thread...
OP was upset that the ATS went out in his 23 year old 2000 Journey 36l. So much so that he does not want to repair the ATS because he fears it will go out again
So he is asking for help on how to install a 50 amp receptacle so he may manually plug power from his generator or shorepower. He says it will be a lot simpler and cheaper. A brand new 50 amp ATS is on Amazon $99 and and a brand new 50 amp manual switch is only $19.99. But he insist he can save money by buying a 50 amp receptacle and going outside to plug and unplug every time he needs to switch.

I still can't get over the guy giving Home Depot a very negative review because the hammer he mistakenly left out in the grass for over a month had started to rust

I conclude the math must be wrong, there are lot more born every minute than previously thought.
Old 05-20-2023, 02:22 AM   #1308

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Sure glad you are paying attention and taking notes!
I did more than take notes. When I was a newbie I was sucker for any information I could find. So much so that I created my own personal 26 page guide. 80% of it is worthless. Some of it because I didn't buy the coach I was planning to but mostly because of some of what I was reading and taking to heart was because of lack of knowledge. When you a newbie, everyone else sound like experts.
Old 05-20-2023, 07:23 PM   #1309

THOR #13932
Generator bin is now sound/rattle, insulated/dampened.
I did the places I can't reach when the gen is installed. The dealer let me do the work on their lot.

When the generator arrives Tuesday-ish I'll kilmatz all sides of the gen before install.

When I get it all home I'll do the bin door and under our bed(where the gen resides) and all of the part of the RV body that hangs below the frame.
I have some 12v compact car radiator fans. I'll install one on the gen for some added air.

I highly recommend this brand of sound sheet.
Excellent sticky, easy easy to cut, molds to surfaces well.
This deadener is also all under my dash, engine bay and v10 air intake.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0520231101~01.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	42023   Click image for larger version

Name:	0520231058~01.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	42024  

Old 05-21-2023, 03:40 PM   #1310

THOR #13058
I applied Manus Bond on Roof this morning on anything that looked like a crack on the existing sealant ( 30 minutes & $8). Added #11 because the roof warranty is only 90 days and some places say to check the roof every month ( at least twice a year). But this is one item where the overreaction may be warranted. So far 4 years and never a leak (knock on wood)

11. Add the many roof options. The roof is another one of those items that really had me scared to buy RV. Forums show pictures of RVs with very serious water damage, but they don't tell the part where RV owner may not have checked on RV at an outside storage for 3 years.
Old 05-21-2023, 04:27 PM   #1311

THOR #13932
It's a
Kit.
Make it yours, not what some expense throttled cube-dweller jr designer tells you to have.
They loaned you a $90 tv to use until you buy the $3,500, 12k, hdr, Roku, 2terrabyte DVR tv you wanted, where you want it. You changed the sink in your stick house, do it to your RV.

#2 if you didn't find this forum prior to purchase, you didn't do due diligence and you're more than partly at fault for EVERYTHING.

#3 if you think screaming "If you pay $200,000 for something....!" is a point of mercy for you not doing a pdi...think again.

#4 if your professional life is handled like your appearant RV life, thank everything-thankable you aren't my rabbi or accountant or stockbroker.

#5 you WERE an engineer 30 years ago in charge of deciding 4 lugs or 5 lugs on a Pinto wheel.
Just stop saying engineer and in the same breath saying nitrogen is an inert gas.

Old 05-22-2023, 01:27 AM   #1312

THOR #16721
https://youtube.com/shorts/z8fWxGxRmak?feature=share
Old 05-23-2023, 03:01 AM   #1313

THOR #13932
We're watching the entire
Untouchables series
On you tube. A channel called
karen loves stack.
Seasons 1 to 4, chronologically sorted and good prints seasons,two to,four.

It's not
Peter Gunn or Burkes Law
But it'll do.
26 year old Dianne Canon tonight.

From memory, I think Eliot Ness and Sam Spade both have an office numbered 208.

Old 05-23-2023, 04:11 PM   #1314

THOR #13932
I just did the wildest thing.

I opened the microwave before it commanded/impelled me with a Pavlovian beep.

Man, a decision made by myself, alone, going against the engineers and manual writers was WAY too skeery, I was so unsure about usurping the dictates.
But hey,
I'm a wildman.

Then my potato screamed(I worry about why potatoes scream in the microwave) and I ran(actually a kind of prancing frolicky skip that hurt my wrists) away.

Old 05-23-2023, 04:14 PM   #1315

Model: 2022 Chateau 31W
State: Florida
THOR #24543
The recent posts about the things that "scare" newbies hits home. I probably spent a few hundred hours of research prior to our purchase almost 2 years ago at this point. We've spent about 6 months in the RV over the course of the last 20 months, so certainly not full timers, but would classify us as regulars at least. Here are things that I was nearly terrified about before becoming more experienced:

1. My fresh water tank will give wife and I salmonella, e-coli, listeria, bubonic plague, ricketts, scurvy and botulism unless cleaned out weekly with a toxic mix of chlorine, bleach, CLR, and buckets of white vinegar .
2. Every RV trip I will experience a multiple tire blowout. This is likely because I was .001 off on the recommended tire pressures and my tires that came installed on RV were from "Fast Eddies, Acquired from Abroad, Retread Tire Shop" in East Kneecap, Tn.
3. Every orifice in my RV will spray water on me during the next rain sprinkle if I don't spot weld, Eternabond and seal with goopy putty (at least 6" thick) every 3rd Tuesday.
4. Changing the oil and filter myself by using the RV leveler jacks is a death wish. I can use the RV 10-15 days at a time with jacks down, slide out, raucous wrestling matches the entire time and the 4 jacks don't budge, but first slight twist of a hand tight oil filter will cause the RV to crash down upon me killing me instantly.
5. If I don't plan 9 months in advance for the places we are visiting, we will be sleeping on the side of Interstate __ as there is no room at any RV park anymore.

I don't mean to slight anyone who's had any of the issues above, but with even the most basic prudence, and reasonable upkeep, you can avoid many issues. But, you do need to expect issues and be level headed when they arise.

Really enjoying some of the comments here.
Old 05-23-2023, 04:41 PM   #1316

THOR #13932
That was very well written.

The only things I really fell for;

Fridge fires. It was $25 to cure. For all the fear mongering, my thread of the absolute cure has received far less visits than the 'my poodle sheds, now what" thread.

I measured my first day of ownership for 50 ish added gallons of propane. I Damn near succumbed to that. Had the tanks in my Amazon checkout.

I tried to level the 24.1 once.
The Legos sucked. I can get close enough almost anywhere.

The fridge runs at a much greater angle than you've been told.

I drove conservatively for about my first three miles. Oddly it wasn't anything anyone had described.
We Now drive it like its the dually truck it is.

Some folks worry to mask the real worries.

Maybe that water heater conversion to a tank unit masks some personal family pain.

Maybe the psi worry displaces how your kid hasn't spoken with you in fifteen years.

I don't get it.

I don't rely on the justifications of others.
I always question the justifications of others.
I sway easily. If you can't convince someone as easy as I, you're really lacking logic.

I learned at a very early age,
The words tell the reasons.
The spaces between the words tells the truths.

Old 05-23-2023, 05:32 PM   #1317

THOR #16721
I solved two problems that kept me up well past "Carson hours"... excessive use of propane by the refrigerator, and the high possibility of incinerating a square mile by using propane while mobile.

The downside is it cost $4,000 (and counting) for lithium batteries... inverter... solar panels. But wow... now I'm sleeping MUCH better now!
Old 05-23-2023, 05:40 PM   #1318

THOR #13932
Carson's Directions to Burbank;

Take the 405 to the 91 then take the Slausen cut-off.
Get out, cutoff your Slausen.
Go three miles....

Old 05-23-2023, 10:50 PM   #1319

THOR #16721
https://youtu.be/twqa9AppfeE
Old 05-23-2023, 11:11 PM   #1320

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
If the Duck
can sweeten the pot;
I call...
and
raise the ante