Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2023, 11:23 PM   #1321

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI_Tom View Post
The recent posts about the things that "scare" newbies hits home. I probably spent a few hundred hours of research prior to our purchase almost 2 years ago at this point. We've spent about 6 months in the RV over the course of the last 20 months, so certainly not full timers, but would classify us as regulars at least. Here are things that I was nearly terrified about before becoming more experienced:

1. My fresh water tank will give wife and I salmonella, e-coli, listeria, bubonic plague, ricketts, scurvy and botulism unless cleaned out weekly with a toxic mix of chlorine, bleach, CLR, and buckets of white vinegar .
2. Every RV trip I will experience a multiple tire blowout. This is likely because I was .001 off on the recommended tire pressures and my tires that came installed on RV were from "Fast Eddies, Acquired from Abroad, Retread Tire Shop" in East Kneecap, Tn.
3. Every orifice in my RV will spray water on me during the next rain sprinkle if I don't spot weld, Eternabond and seal with goopy putty (at least 6" thick) every 3rd Tuesday.
4. Changing the oil and filter myself by using the RV leveler jacks is a death wish. I can use the RV 10-15 days at a time with jacks down, slide out, raucous wrestling matches the entire time and the 4 jacks don't budge, but first slight twist of a hand tight oil filter will cause the RV to crash down upon me killing me instantly.
5. If I don't plan 9 months in advance for the places we are visiting, we will be sleeping on the side of Interstate __ as there is no room at any RV park anymore.

I don't mean to slight anyone who's had any of the issues above, but with even the most basic prudence, and reasonable upkeep, you can avoid many issues. But, you do need to expect issues and be level headed when they arise.

Really enjoying some of the comments here.
Your additions are hilarious

1. Weigh your RV to calculate the Mfg psi setting based on axle and in some cases by tire. I get it if you have a weigh and you wish to apply it to scale, but putting the fear of God to knew owners just creates undue stress
2. The Generator is the worst thing since Hitler syndrome, I still don't get it.
3. Waste tank sensors don't work and you should not expect then too? 4 years and mine work as designed and are very accurate.
4. Slides - It has not been as bad of late, but I use to think I had to get some 2 X 4s to prevent the slide from sliding out why I drive down the road
5. Maybe my favorite, that a Norcold fridge would Never be cold. In Texas heat, I can have ice water / beer if I go to 5 stars on the setting. Fridge is 4 years old.
6. Pleather furniture will peel, my pleather still looks new
7. [CN] Your decals will crack and peel from all the oxidized gelcoat after 3 years...
8. [CN] Your batteries will be dead and unusable after 2 years... better plan on solar panels and lithium batteries.
9. Black tank will clog up due to the Poop buildup and/or lack of water. Some have even claim to have to use high pressure devices or sticks and it still clogs.
10: You need to load your RV up with peppermint balls, Irish Spring soap, or dryer sheet to keep the rats out despite the videos of the Rats eating Irish Spring soap and using the dryer sheets to make nice comfy beds in you cabinetry or drawers.
11. [GI_T] Add the many roof options. The roof is another one of those items that really had me scared to buy RV. Forums show pictures of RVs with very serious water damage, but they don't tell the part where RV owner may not have checked on RV at an outside storage for 3 years.
12. [GI_T] My fresh water tank will give you salmonella, e-coli, listeria, bubonic plague, ricketts, scurvy and botulism unless cleaned out weekly with a toxic mix of chlorine, bleach, CLR, and buckets of white vinegar .
13. [GI_T] Every RV trip I will experience a multiple tire blowout. This is likely because I was .001 off on the recommended tire pressures and my tires that came installed on RV were from "Fast Eddies, Acquired from Abroad, Retread Tire Shop" in East Kneecap, Tn.
14. [GI_T] Every orifice in my RV will spray water on me during the next rain sprinkle if I don't spot weld, Eternabond and seal with goopy putty (at least 6" thick) every 3rd Tuesday.
15. [GI_T] Changing the oil and filter myself by using the RV leveler jacks is a death wish. I can use the RV 10-15 days at a time with jacks down, slide out, raucous wrestling matches the entire time and the 4 jacks don't budge, but first slight twist of a hand tight oil filter will cause the RV to crash down upon me killing me instantly.
16. If I don't plan 9 months in advance for the places we are visiting, we will be sleeping on the side of Interstate __ as there is no room at any RV park anymore.
17. [CN]Driving RV with Propane Fridge ON will cause the whole thing to go up in a ball of flames while using propane while mobile.

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 12:10 AM   #1322
MLP

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #17478
Quote:
The recent posts about the things that "scare" newbies hits home. I probably spent a few hundred hours of research prior to our purchase almost 2 years ago at this point. We've spent about 6 months in the RV over the course of the last 20 months, so certainly not full timers, but would classify us as regulars at least. Here are things that I was nearly terrified about before becoming more experienced:

1. My fresh water tank will give wife and I salmonella, e-coli, listeria, bubonic plague, ricketts, scurvy and botulism unless cleaned out weekly with a toxic mix of chlorine, bleach, CLR, and buckets of white vinegar .
2. Every RV trip I will experience a multiple tire blowout. This is likely because I was .001 off on the recommended tire pressures and my tires that came installed on RV were from "Fast Eddies, Acquired from Abroad, Retread Tire Shop" in East Kneecap, Tn.
3. Every orifice in my RV will spray water on me during the next rain sprinkle if I don't spot weld, Eternabond and seal with goopy putty (at least 6" thick) every 3rd Tuesday.
4. Changing the oil and filter myself by using the RV leveler jacks is a death wish. I can use the RV 10-15 days at a time with jacks down, slide out, raucous wrestling matches the entire time and the 4 jacks don't budge, but first slight twist of a hand tight oil filter will cause the RV to crash down upon me killing me instantly.
5. If I don't plan 9 months in advance for the places we are visiting, we will be sleeping on the side of Interstate __ as there is no room at any RV park anymore.

I don't mean to slight anyone who's had any of the issues above, but with even the most basic prudence, and reasonable upkeep, you can avoid many issues. But, you do need to expect issues and be level headed when they arise.

Well this gives new comers something to look forward too!
Old 05-24-2023, 12:50 PM   #1323

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
Quote:

You forgot the one about weighting your rig:
If you never weighted your rig the FBI, CIA, Mossad, russian Spetsnaz and Mickey Mouse will come at night , kidnap you and take you to a place you don't want to be.....
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 12:51 AM   #1324

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Well,
Spousal unit screwed up and invited everyone up to our view lot to watch July 4th fireworks way off in the distance and about 400ft below us.

No fireworks this year, so it's now a bonfire IF there aren't any fire restrictions.

A semi-open invitation if you're in williams az and bored on the 4th.
Moderate beer and liquor(about half of us don't drink much. No one ever gets nuts or even loud.)
No drugs legal or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200726_135205_copy_1664x1248.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	42066  

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 02:11 AM   #1325

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Well,
Spousal unit screwed up and invited everyone up to our view lot to watch July 4th fireworks way off in the distance and about 400ft below us.

No fireworks this year, so it's now a bonfire IF there aren't any fire restrictions.

A semi-open invitation if you're in williams az and bored on the 4th.
Moderate beer and liquor(about half of us don't drink much. No one ever gets nuts or even loud.)
No drugs legal or not.
Wish I was in the area then

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 02:24 AM   #1326

THOR #13932
We also wish you could be here.
We're a very fun group.

Old 05-25-2023, 04:37 AM   #1327

THOR #13932
Have we lost Gritzcarlton some where on his trip?
Neither he nor adventurous Pam have checked in....

Old 05-26-2023, 12:09 AM   #1328

THOR #13932
1962 high-end recliner.
A gift/trade.
Still had some 60 year old sawdust in a couple of screw pockets.
8 screws missing from the factory
Four very critical, four not critical.

I lately tell the spousal unit I'm getting harder to beat.

The chair would require total disassembly if I didn't have these specialty tools.

I blame Thor and modern day workethic for the sawdust and,missing screws.
While not the touted $200,000 RV, it was a weeks+ wages new.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0525231655a_copy_1305x979.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	42077   Click image for larger version

Name:	0525231656a_copy_1305x979.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	42078  

Name:	0525231658_copy_1305x979.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	42079  

Old 05-26-2023, 08:11 PM   #1329

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
i thought i would check out the Meguiar's Ceramic Wax today. After a few yrs, she still shines up nice. but then again, i have been applying wax since new.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2023-05-26_16-09-38.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	42082  
Old 05-27-2023, 06:01 PM   #1330

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post
i thought i would check out the Meguiar's Ceramic Wax today. After a few yrs, she still shines up nice. but then again, i have been applying wax since new.
Did you spray it on and rinse?

Looks great
Old 05-31-2023, 01:10 PM   #1331

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
To all those to whom it may apply. You know who you are.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20230531_070937.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	42124  
Old 05-31-2023, 06:19 PM   #1332

THOR #13932
New generator is installed and the 24.1 is home.

I saw the Bill. $7500. I don't know how they managed that on a $4,000+shipping gen, but good for them.

2.7 hours of test time. Old one had under 700 hours. Hour meter reset to 2.7

3 year warranty on the new one and there will be a year left on the extended warranty for 4 years of total warranty.

The warranty came free with my 24.1
I guess I could have cancelled it after transfer to me and pocketed $5,000+, but we transferred for $75.

My initial hour of diagnosis was refunded at $179, then they re-charged my card for the $100 deductible.

I have the old generator here for parts.
Starter
Carb
Stator
Electronics
Everything but a good head and valves.
I did not think to retrieve the unused wiring harness/switch for the new one.

I might rebuild it and make it semi-portable.
I have room in the 24.1 for a second generator if I needed 8,000w for something.

Starts on first revolution. Old one cranked for 15 seconds...twice before starting. Always did even when new.

Old 05-31-2023, 07:03 PM   #1333

State: Nevada
THOR #12329
yeah, but how do I fix the roof AC problem on my 2020 aria
Old 05-31-2023, 08:07 PM   #1334

THOR #13932
I don't have any Aria experience but on my 24.1 I can see light through the vents through the roof. I'm pretty sure that my vents the tops are only the membrane for the roof. An incredible amount of heat can probably get in. Look inside your vents see if they have a top. My vent channels do not have a top and I can see daylight through the roof membrane/a.c. trough/dispersion system.

I've yet to fix it as the rv stays cool.
When I need a new roof I'll swap it all out or I'll do an under chassis ac(or minisplit)and tie to the floor vents.

and
My ceramic tint on all windows made a measurable difference of possibly 10° but certainly more ac cycling and less ac running.. Maybe not the best $1050 I've spent but the windshield is nice and oddly, the sounds changed inside my RV. It seems to have lowered the staccato sounds.

And
I'm kinda, sorta, almost, maybe, certainly uncertainly, considering snow-coat, a mobile home product, on my roof membrane.
Reflectivity potential cure.

But
I don't have a problem yet.
24.1 stays cool with roof top and dash.

Old 05-31-2023, 09:38 PM   #1335

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
New generator is installed and the 24.1 is home.

I saw the Bill. $7500. I don't know how they managed that on a $4,000+shipping gen, but good for them.

2.7 hours of test time. Old one had under 700 hours. Hour meter reset to 2.7

3 year warranty on the new one and there will be a year left on the extended warranty for 4 years of total warranty.

The warranty came free with my 24.1
I guess I could have cancelled it after transfer to me and pocketed $5,000+, but we transferred for $75.

My initial hour of diagnosis was refunded at $179, then they re-charged my card for the $100 deductible.

I have the old generator here for parts.
Starter
Carb
Stator
Electronics
Everything but a good head and valves.
I did not think to retrieve the unused wiring harness/switch for the new one.

I might rebuild it and make it semi-portable.
I have room in the 24.1 for a second generator if I needed 8,000w for something.

Starts on first revolution. Old one cranked for 15 seconds...twice before starting. Always did even when new.

Now that you have completed this project, I have seen some others make Mods to remove their Generators... You can put in a floor and use the compartment as extra storage space. Good place to store extra propane, and backup TPMS systems
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 09:50 PM   #1336

THOR #13932
I had, for years, said if the generator so much as needs a spark plug, I'd rip it out and install double or triple alternators since my v10 uses only .67gph at idle(gen uses .7 at load) and I have(will have) 600 to 1100 amps of lithium(was free-ish, to me).

But
This repair was essentially free to me.
So, the one time it's not free-ish, in go the alternators.

Next project:
It's time for me to install those multiple 200a lithium.
It's easy, the infrastructure is in, but I'm dreading the possible farallons and foibles and general dicking with me things of a wire 1/2" too short, new breaker being junk, Renogy not liking battle born crrrrraaaap-fest uncertain projects seem to thrive on.

Then projects move on to my very easy
'How many inches between my roof ac and that over-head potential problem thing/canopy'
Electronic measuring device.
(Built, but requires 12v through the roof. I'll probably just pull from the clearance lights since my lights are ALWAYS on.)

Old 05-31-2023, 11:11 PM   #1337

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Hmmm... snow-coat. Is that the same as flocking of lore sprayed on Christmas trees? If so you'll have a festive roof... not so waterproof, but certainly festive.

Oh... that's SnoFlock...
Old 06-01-2023, 05:20 PM   #1338
MLP

THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
To all those to whom it may apply. You know who you are.
Just put a thin walled box around that ting and.... It is enclosed....
Old 06-01-2023, 05:23 PM   #1339

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
Just put a thin walled box around that ting and.... It is enclosed....
Mine is made from that home depot foam board with the aluminum on both sides(you all know which sides, yes you're very funny).

Use welding-rod-ish stakes to attach/enforce and spray foam to secure.

Plumbers tape to attach to rv

Easy.
Two hours.

Old 06-02-2023, 09:56 PM   #1340

THOR #13932
This brass rod from the carb throttle valve/butterfly/venturi damper is why my generator was replaced due to zero compression upon testing.
I pushed on the valve spring with palm pressure only, and it fell out.
No other damage found.
I've ordered the head gasket.
It appears(so far) that I have an extra 500hr on an qg4000. I might redundantify the 24.1 with 4,000/8,000 selective watts.
Or not.
It might just live in the shed forever.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0602231311~01.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	319.6 KB
ID:	42164