Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2022, 03:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Michigan
THOR #17909
Internet options?

Hi to all,
I am looking for internet options for a six month stay in a remote area of Florida that doesn’t have internet hookups at the campground. It is located around Bowling Green, Sebring, and Wauchula. What are some of the options? I have a 2020 Chateau 31W and a wineguard antenna. Any suggestions?

Old 02-20-2022, 04:11 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Per the FCC map here:
https://fcc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/web...bc88a0d1bdd25b

You should pick a Verizon plan. AT&T has a view holes in that area and just forget T-mobile.

AT&T Data coverage:

Verizon Data coverage:

And for laughs, T-Mobile data coverage:

Although this is T-Mobile's advertised coverage for the area:
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 04:22 PM   #3

State: Michigan
THOR #17909
Gonna look into it

Thanks so much. Can I stream TV with Verizon? Is this hotspot capable with a decent amount of data?
Old 02-20-2022, 04:38 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Depends on what plan you purchase. I just recommended a provider. How you contract with them is in your ball court.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 04:38 PM   #5

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
My Verizon accounts allow unlimited data on phone and I have used that data to connect to my tv no problem
Old 02-20-2022, 05:06 PM   #6

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
These posts invariably go down the subjectivity rabbit hole.

Given you can receive a signal broadcast from a nearby repeater tower, how many users are sharing that available bandwidth? Are you sharing with a KOA full of campers? Are you out in the boonies under a tower?

Two primary things affect usability... signal strength and concurrent users of available bandwidth. To compound things, move 100 feet and things change.

Your best bet short of first hand experience is to read as many campground reviews from the area as you can find. Given Florida is nearly flat, you shouldn't be worried about mountains blocking the signal. Ironically low population areas are the least served.
Old 02-21-2022, 12:04 AM   #7

Brand: Keystone
Model: Montana HC 375FL 5th whee
State: Indiana
THOR #25836
If you are looking for a good internet service, I highly recommend Visible. It is truly unlimited and we stream several devices and connect to the internet all at the same time. Visible is designed to connect to a single device. If the device is a portable router, you can connect multiple devices to the router that broadcasts a wifi signal. They make very small portable routers that plug into the Visible phone via a USB cord. Visible uses the Verison system, so anywhere you can get Verision, Visible will work just fine.

Now, we've been using Visible for over a year now on multiple computers, Roku televisions, and Ipads. It supported 3 work computers which allowed us to work from the road, almost the entire year of 2021 with our 3 company provided laptop computers. We traveled from South Carolina to Upper Michigan and stayed 2 weeks to a month at different State Parks. We used private campgrounds for over nights and the 2 week stays at State Parks. We did stay in a couple private campgrounds and we checked first to make sure they had good cell phone service. They did and the phone service was great everywhere.

We also had our AT&T phones with an unlimited data plan we used for a back-up. We never had to use it for a back up the entire year.

Visible works so well, we're using it at home instead of our home internet service. My son lives with us and he's a computer code developer. So we still need the home internet for him, especially when WE take the Visible on the road with us!

Look into Visible, watch the YouTube videos. I promise you, if you use it for the $40 a month, or share yours with other and get a reduced price, and you will NOT be disappointed at all!
Old 02-21-2022, 12:38 AM   #8

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
We also use Visible (Verizon). We dumped Cricket because they wanted us to pay for hotspot. We have 2 phones on the plan, both of which can be used with Visible's unlimited hotspot. So wherever we get a decent signal, we just fire up the hotspot and connect the Fire Stick for streaming.

We tried the Winegard Togo unit on the roof... but it's kinda silly and a waste of money... unless we stuck an AT&T sim card in it for more varied coverage. But we rarely even have the TV on unless it's raining... we prefer to be outside hiking, etc.

Again... if you have the bank account and MUST be connected to streaming... anything's possible. Just stay out of the mountains!!
Old 02-21-2022, 02:07 AM   #9

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambchop View Post
Hi to all,
I am looking for internet options for a six month stay in a remote area of Florida that doesn’t have internet hookups at the campground. It is located around Bowling Green, Sebring, and Wauchula. What are some of the options? I have a 2020 Chateau 31W and a wineguard antenna. Any suggestions?
Traveled all over the country with t mobile home $50 always faster than Verizon
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 02:44 PM   #10

THOR #25859
Internet provider

Our THOR Windsport 35M came with a Winegard, but I’ve found it to be unreliable in that the SIM seems to slip when traveling. Upon arrival at a campground I often have to have someone get up on the roof to remove the SIM, pretend to clean it, and reinsert it. Voila! It works…except when I’m cruising down the road.

I’ve gone to a Peplink Pepwave MAX BR1 5G Pro router with a Mobile 42G antenna…well, the antenna will be installed on Monday, until then I’m using the unit with the short and stubby antennas with which it was supplied.

Finally, following the advice on www.irv2.com and YouTube, I opted for a 300GB/month plan from Bix Wireless (www.bixwireless.com). They are providers or bundlers of cellular plans from a variety of networks. I chose AT&T and may add Verizon at a later date (my router has two SIM slots) for times when AT&T doesn’t meet the grade.

Kelly