Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-22-2023, 03:35 PM   #1
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveler A32
State: Texas
Posts: 77
THOR #30793
Low pressure stove?

Has anyone found a good lightweight low pressure camp stove for use with the external quick connect hose? I like the Camp Chef Mountaineer, but it is a little more expensive than I'd like to pay. The Magma Crossover is nice, and affordable-- but heavy for loading and carrying! The other "stovetop" versions just don't seem durable enough or really very well designed for portability.

Reasonably light, but expensive:

https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Mou...dp/B09PNKJ1KP/

I've found relatively inexpensive, but heavy at 50 lbs:

https://www.amazon.com/MAGMA-Product.../dp/B09MVD8NKY/

Or cheap, light, but not made for portability (or durability):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HYJ7GND/?th=1
What are your suggestions? Thanks!

David R

.

__________________
David_Reaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 03:40 PM   #2
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
Posts: 8,643
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Reaves View Post
Has anyone found a good lightweight low pressure camp stove for use with the external quick connect hose? I like the Camp Chef Mountaineer, but it is a little more expensive than I'd like to pay. The Magma Crossover is nice, and affordable-- but heavy for loading and carrying! The other "stovetop" versions just don't seem durable enough or really very well designed for portability.

Reasonably light, but expensive:

https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Mou...dp/B09PNKJ1KP/

I've found relatively inexpensive, but heavy at 50 lbs:

https://www.amazon.com/MAGMA-Product.../dp/B09MVD8NKY/

Or cheap, light, but not made for portability (or durability):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HYJ7GND/

What are your suggestions? Thanks!

David R

.
For clarity, you’re looking for a camp stove and not a portable grill. Correct?
__________________
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 03:43 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
ducksface's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
Posts: 6,621
THOR #13932
All of those sell 10's of 1,000's a year.
All of them make owners
happy
Or
Not.

Expense is one time.
Double or triple the price...wil it outlive you?

If $100 or so is precious right now....

And
The quickconnect is a bothersome/loathsome leash
when you want to move to a table or a bit more remote.
I've never found even slight value in it over me refilling 1lb bottles.

(While I do refill 1lb bottles for our stove, we haven't used the stove in maybe 10 years. Those stoves are a Bothersome thing for us. Cooking outside for the simple sake of cooking outside is not our thing.)
__________________
Below is a link to most of my modifications either accomplished or pending.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...n-18996-3.html

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 05:42 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
The Gritz Carlton's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
Posts: 5,843
THOR #11130
I ditched everything LP except the built in cook-top and water heater...bought a Ninja Woodfire Outdoor Grill. Bakes, grills, broils, air fries, smokes, dehydrates and roasts. It outcooks any grill I've ever had, other than the need for quantity. Fits in a small bin and weighs only 50 pounds. Everything is cooked outdoors except microwave reheating. We occasionally bake in microwave convection mode. Onboard LP tank lasts 2 years.
__________________
Now an SOB
Traded Thor for Melbourne Prestige 24NP
2018 THOR Chateau 35SF
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 05:50 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
ducksface's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
Posts: 6,621
THOR #13932
Above is exactly opposite, yet the same, for us.


Opposite in that
we don't cook outside
Same in that
Convenience is convenient.

(We still carry the 1lb bottle bbq. 24.1 has too much storage room and weight is not a thing.
One is none)
__________________
Below is a link to most of my modifications either accomplished or pending.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...n-18996-3.html

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 08:44 PM   #6
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 13,876
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Reaves View Post
Has anyone found a good lightweight low pressure camp stove for use with the external quick connect hose? I like the Camp Chef Mountaineer, but it is a little more expensive than I'd like to pay. The Magma Crossover is nice, and affordable-- but heavy for loading and carrying! The other "stovetop" versions just don't seem durable enough or really very well designed for portability.

Reasonably light, but expensive:

https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Mou...dp/B09PNKJ1KP/

I've found relatively inexpensive, but heavy at 50 lbs:

https://www.amazon.com/MAGMA-Product.../dp/B09MVD8NKY/

Or cheap, light, but not made for portability (or durability):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HYJ7GND/?th=1
What are your suggestions? Thanks!

David R

.

The third one specifically says:
Quote:
Portable double stove
Portable double stove is great for using outdoors, campsite, hunting lodge as well. This propane cook-top is ideal to use in outdoor
Not sure why you think it's not portable.
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad - Selling
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 05:27 AM   #7
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveler A32
State: Texas
Posts: 77
THOR #30793
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
The third one specifically says:

Portable double stove is great for using outdoors, campsite, hunting lodge as well. This propane cook-top is ideal to use in outdoor

Not sure why you think it's not portable.
Been away for a couple of days... mostly it seems to have no provision for closing anything up, lid, cover, etc. It looks to be portable only in that it is light and can be set anywhere it is flat.

The stove below would be perfect-- unfortunately it isn't certified for import into the US. The retail price is very affordable, at $170 Australian. That's currently about $112 USD

https://www.companionoutdoor.com/pro...pressure~13543

As far as cooking outside, I frequently travel with other family and an exterior stove is essential to getting things done for the group. Previously I accomplished with the stove built into my camper trailer's outside kitchen. I have a Y connector for the quick connect, which I formerly used for the outside kitchen stove and a grill. My son-in-law has the Blackstone griddle.

.
__________________
David_Reaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 09:01 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Bob Nodine's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
Posts: 634
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Reaves View Post
Has anyone found a good lightweight low pressure camp stove for use with the external quick connect hose? I like the Camp Chef Mountaineer, but it is a little more expensive than I'd like to pay. The Magma Crossover is nice, and affordable-- but heavy for loading and carrying! The other "stovetop" versions just don't seem durable enough or really very well designed for portability.

Reasonably light, but expensive:

https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Mou...dp/B09PNKJ1KP/

I've found relatively inexpensive, but heavy at 50 lbs:

https://www.amazon.com/MAGMA-Product.../dp/B09MVD8NKY/

Or cheap, light, but not made for portability (or durability):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HYJ7GND/?th=1
What are your suggestions? Thanks!

David R

.
Many grills can be converted to use without the regulator. We purchased a kit for our Weber grill and converted it to use the quick disconnect propane connection on the outside of the motorhome.

https://torjik.com/weber-q-grill-com...on-kit-8-hose/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210529_073129.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	44363  
__________________
Bob
2022 Quantum JM31
2023 Colorado Z71
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 02:57 PM   #9
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 13,876
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Reaves View Post
Been away for a couple of days... mostly it seems to have no provision for closing anything up, lid, cover, etc. It looks to be portable only in that it is light and can be set anywhere it is flat.

The stove below would be perfect-- unfortunately it isn't certified for import into the US. The retail price is very affordable, at $170 Australian. That's currently about $112 USD

https://www.companionoutdoor.com/pro...pressure~13543

As far as cooking outside, I frequently travel with other family and an exterior stove is essential to getting things done for the group. Previously I accomplished with the stove built into my camper trailer's outside kitchen. I have a Y connector for the quick connect, which I formerly used for the outside kitchen stove and a grill. My son-in-law has the Blackstone griddle.

.
It's $299 AUS today. It looks just like the Coleman Low Pressure stove that came with our first POP-UP trailer many years ago.

You would think you could pick up a standard modern Coleman two burner camp stove that uses the 1 Ib bottle and easily convert it for low pressure use, but nooooo - it uses medium pressure at the burners (about 15" water pressure" so a direct connection would not work.

So I have a 5 Lb tank and hose with 1 lb adapter end that I use for the easier to find high pressure appliances. Fill the tank at the same place you fill the RV (by the gallon) and not at a 20 Lb tank "deal" place.
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad - Selling
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 09:15 PM   #10
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Texas
Posts: 88
THOR #3182
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I ditched everything LP except the built in cook-top and water heater...bought a Ninja Woodfire Outdoor Grill. Bakes, grills, broils, air fries, smokes, dehydrates and roasts. It outcooks any grill I've ever had, other than the need for quantity. Fits in a small bin and weighs only 50 pounds. Everything is cooked outdoors except microwave reheating. We occasionally bake in microwave convection mode. Onboard LP tank lasts 2 years.
Hmmm.... How well does that thing smoke? That would sure eliminate a lot of other cooking devices from our load.
__________________
howzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 11:47 PM   #11
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveler A32
State: Texas
Posts: 77
THOR #30793
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
So I have a 5 Lb tank and hose with 1 lb adapter end that I use for the easier to find high pressure appliances. Fill the tank at the same place you fill the RV (by the gallon) and not at a 20 Lb tank "deal" place.
I'm probably going to to get the necessary valve and refill "certified" refillable one pound cans. I can buy the valve, a couple of bottles, and propane in a 20-lb cylinder for a long time on the extra $300-400 cost of the available, folding, low pressure stove. The Coleman stove works well enough, and I can find room for 2-3 small 1lb bottles. I'll use the RV hose only for the grill I guess.
__________________
David_Reaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 01:31 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
Posts: 2,354
THOR #17765
I carry an induction cooktop just in case I need to use a pan to cook something I can’t do on my Weber Q 1200. Pans from Aldi are induction compatible. But with a Weber Q “trivet” and a piece of foil I can bake & roast with the Weber Q. With a grill mat (a 3 pack from Aldi cost $5) I can fry eggs and pancakes on the Weber Q as well. The only thing I have a problem with is low and slow. 300 is about as low as I can get it. But I have turned out some dynamite ribs.
__________________
Jimbo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 02:57 PM   #13
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Texas
Posts: 88
THOR #3182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
I carry an induction cooktop just in case I need to use a pan to cook something I can’t do on my Weber Q 1200. Pans from Aldi are induction compatible. But with a Weber Q “trivet” and a piece of foil I can bake & roast with the Weber Q. With a grill mat (a 3 pack from Aldi cost $5) I can fry eggs and pancakes on the Weber Q as well. The only thing I have a problem with is low and slow. 300 is about as low as I can get it. But I have turned out some dynamite ribs.
Everyone has their own preference but induction when you're outdoors is the way to go for me. The small propane camping style cooktops never seem like they do well if you have any wind blowing while you're using them. The heat gets blown off which is no issue for induction.

You're right about that Q1200 too, I do wish we had more control of the temperature on it. It's another one that cooking in the wind is tough on.
__________________
howzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2