Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2017, 03:17 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31K
State: Florida
THOR #3520
Memory upgrade for Garmin RV760LMT???

Folks, I just got a Garmin RV760LMT for my birthday. Downloaded updates and North America maps. Then it told me it was near capacity on memory. I see it takes a Micro SD card but there are so many on the market. How big should I get? Anything special I should look for or avoid? I don't expect to be hooking it up to a camera, just route directions and such.
Thanks in advance.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca

Old 03-13-2017, 02:29 PM   #2

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Oregon
THOR #4145
I installed a 32GB micro card by Sandisk...it's pretty common. Be forewarned that you may still get that same warning even after installing the micro card regardless of its size. The RV 760LM does not works the way you may think. The whole unit, when plugged into your computer, appears as a storage device (like another hard drive). Installing a micro card into it makes that "hard drive" larger by the amount of storage on the micro card.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:53 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
Go here for the proper procedures to follow.
Garmin Auto Forum (Garmin Nuvi, Garmin Drive Forum) - GPS Review Forums.
It isn't a simple just add an SD chip. You may even have to follow the cloning procedures on that site. Also follow the back up procedures there before doing anything.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:48 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31K
THOR #3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
Go here for the proper procedures to follow.
Garmin Auto Forum (Garmin Nuvi, Garmin Drive Forum) - GPS Review Forums.
It isn't a simple just add an SD chip. You may even have to follow the cloning procedures on that site. Also follow the back up procedures there before doing anything.
I had hopes of making life on the road simpler for this geezer but what you say doesn't sound simple at all. Perhaps I should send the whole thing back and just buy a new atlas.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
Old 03-13-2017, 08:20 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
I got the same msg last year when I updated my maps. I ignored it and have not had any problems yet. We'll see when I do my next update before I leave this summer.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:11 PM   #6

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
It is unlikely that 5yr old Garmin model would benefit from any speeds over class 6 and sizes larger than 32GB. A cheap 8-16GB class 4 or 6 would be adequate for typical use. Personally, because of the minimal price difference, I'd get class 10 in a 16-32GB card and call it good for life it has left.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:17 AM   #7

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
I stuffed a high speed class 10 32gig in mine a couple years ago and have updated as normal without any issues several times now. Love my 760LMT....
Old 03-15-2017, 01:37 AM   #8

Model: A.C.E. 27.1
State: California
THOR #2554
I have the same Garmin unit. Updated 3x, no issues without an SD card. When updated I believe that it just over writes older info. As stated previously, your computer is seeing it as another drive.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:21 AM   #9

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Michigan
THOR #5743
Worth the Investment?

I'm having a difficult time finding meaningful comparisons for GPS units. Specifically, the Garmin RV760LMT... is there really much of a benefit between this unit vs another recently purchased Garmin I have for my car? Has anyone found that the routes change? Are the POI's any better than what can be found using a smartphone?
Old 04-16-2017, 03:23 AM   #10

Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
Go with a 64 Gb and never think about it again. I use SanDisk and never a problem.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 04:21 AM   #11

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-mo View Post
I'm having a difficult time finding meaningful comparisons for GPS units. Specifically, the Garmin RV760LMT... is there really much of a benefit between this unit vs another recently purchased Garmin I have for my car? Has anyone found that the routes change? Are the POI's any better than what can be found using a smartphone?
The biggest difference is being able to input the size of your coach, length and height. If needed the gps will alter your route to avoid low bridges or other obstructions and also keep you out of tight turning areas where there may be restrictions. Nice feature to have!
Old 04-16-2017, 06:35 AM   #12

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Texas
THOR #6162
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
The biggest difference is being able to input the size of your coach, length and height. If needed the gps will alter your route to avoid low bridges or other obstructions and also keep you out of tight turning areas where there may be restrictions. Nice feature to have!

I just purchased the Garmin RV770LMT and I like what I'm seeing so far. I got the same low memory alert but it works fine. I'll run in my car with the RV specs and head for some known low places and see what it does. Love the fuel stations that are displayed along the route.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:43 AM   #13

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:

Here's my story and I'm sticking to it: We were using a smart phone ap to navigate last summer, missed a turn and it recalculated. As I was approaching a suggested left turn, I looked down the blacktop county road to see a sign that said Clearance=10' 3". Since I know that our Vegas is about 11' 3", I skipped the turn and went on straight to the next major highway. At our next stop, I ordered a Garmin RV760LMT!

It can show you some great information, current speed, speed limit, altitude, ETA, etc. Being portable, we use the same unit in our car, you could even use it riding with friends. It is worth whatever it cost to keep your RV from height or weight restrictions.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:33 AM   #14

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #6414
Quote:
There have been many places my car would go that my RV would not fit! Therefore I would not use the same GPS intended to be used by my car when I'm in the RV. I once had to turn around on a narrow 2 lane mountain highway by backing off the pavement and nearly over the edge.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:59 AM   #15
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
There have been many places my car would go that my RV would not fit! Therefore I would not use the same GPS intended to be used by my car when I'm in the RV. I once had to turn around on a narrow 2 lane mountain highway by backing off the pavement and nearly over the edge.
Agree....we have a Garmin for our truck/car and the RV Garmin for the motorhome.... a must have ! In addition, the road atlas for truck drivers, available at truck stops is good to have.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote