Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2018, 11:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #2271
RV Parking plus cabin under one roof

When I was in Phoenix, the park I stayed at had something called an Arizona (or Phoenix?) Cabin. It was one roof with a cabin on one side and RV parking in the other side. Very clever!

Think of this. You have your kitchen and bedroom in the RV. Then the cabin has a great room with a big couch, a big TV, maybe a bed. Then another room with a washer and dryer, toilet and shower.

Does anyone have any information on these buildings? Who makes them? What are they called?

Old 04-30-2018, 12:48 AM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Have seen a few of them in our travels. Some are just a small living area with a bathroom, others a whole house livable with or without RV.

I met a couple once who had a cabin with RV port in the north, like WI or MI, and another in the south. They would split their year between them.

There is a community of RV port homes near Clermont, FL, and surely many others in the south. Like a carport, but big enough for your RV with full hookups. Your RV is your guest bedroom, office or extra living space. Many variations, here's one:
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2018, 03:02 AM   #3

THOR #2271
Thanks, Mr Sunshine. Yes, I have seen then too. But I want to find if they are available as a s a pre-fab. Or, at least, a builder or manufacturer that can build them. What are they called?
Old 04-30-2018, 05:34 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
Thanks, Mr Sunshine. Yes, I have seen then too. But I want to find if they are available as a s a pre-fab. Or, at least, a builder or manufacturer that can build them. What are they called?
Only thing that comes to mind is a Casita. (Kah-See-Tah)
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:55 AM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
They look pretty cool!
Question: How much more does it cost, to get in one of those spots?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:52 PM   #6

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
These are called RV Port Homes. They often feature smaller square feet, as you have the RV for extra bed and living area. The cost is more because you have a larger roof area.

Bradleybuildings.com has several floorplans available as a kit, but only in a few SE states. If you can find a builder, you might find floor plans online. Check out Morton Buildings in the eastern half of the US, and a few western mountain states.

Here is a drive through design I really like. Carport and storage on the right, living area on the left, loft area above. Garage doors would make it perfect!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RVcarport.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	10007  
Old 05-01-2018, 10:34 AM   #7

State: Alaska
THOR #6879
Called Casitas. (SP) We looked into them .Most are a one bedroom home about 700 sq ft.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:53 AM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
What a neat idea!
I had no idea that such a thing existed.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:51 PM   #9

THOR #2271
I found more references under RV Port than Casitas. Here is an example of a simple design that I really like. They can get very complex as the previous pictures show.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	c306edd86f6ae11ffc61011204017ed9.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	10015  
Old 05-01-2018, 04:58 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I guess that once you get the roof and hook-ups figured out: the sky is the limit!
Old 05-01-2018, 06:57 PM   #11

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
I found more references under RV Port than Casitas. Here is an example of a simple design that I really like. They can get very complex as the previous pictures show.
That one looks really cool for an individual or couple who wants to be semi-full timers, but also want to have a permanent address, etc.

Years ago I recall looking at small houses in the Texas Hill Country, within a campground, that were essentially considered “trailers”. If I recall they avoided many taxes as long as they weren’t more than around 400 square feet. This idea seems similar but with carport (RV port?) added.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:59 PM   #12

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
A while back I saw a post or an add someplace about a luxury RV neighborhood or "condo" someplace up in michigan. It was being developed as a really ultra high end fancy kind of place by the looks of it....upscale. A lot of the places had little 1 or two bedroom houses next to an RV space. I recon the kind of place Prevost drivers would have.... It was neat....
but I'll admit to being puzzled a bit by the idea.
You have your house (RV) with all your stuff in it. The bed that you are used to sleeping in every night is there. Why would you want to move out, and into a little house right next door?

I live in an HOA and store our RV a few miles in a lot. I've been looking and sorta dreaming of buying a lot someplace and building a pole barn type thing, and even fixing it up sortof as a destination like many seasonal folks have at RV parks, except not semi-permanently parked.

What we came up with as a dream was basically
a barn with room to put out the slides, electric, water, etc...
Not that I could afford it, but if I could it would be waterfront maybe, on the river....
the awning side wall would open up...maybe with sliding barn doors, or sliding glass doors, so that when we were staying in the RV natural light would be let in. maybe windows or skylights so natural light comes in the other windows too....
You'd step out of the RV right onto a step height deck, that passes through those sliding doors to a deck or patio, nicely landscaped beds around the patio, maybe a grille, some patio furniture, etc...
close the doors and shutter the windows for storage mode, or when we're using the RV on the road....

I can understand something like that. A seasonal home-port destination.
I can even understand a big shed or storage unit attached, maybe laundry...
Like an old fashioned computer docking station for your RV
but I don't get the finished house part.....
Old 05-01-2018, 09:17 PM   #13

THOR #2271
I don't have a brick and mortar house. I currently live in my RV and travel. I'm looking to build an RV-Port in either Nevada or Washington.

If I did have a house, I wouldn't be looking into this concept.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:17 PM   #14

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
State: California
THOR #3559
RV Port Homes

There are usually several ads for RV Port Home communities in the last pages of Motorhome magazine. I suggested to a local home builder that they consider RV ports as an option on new homes.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:20 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
blw2,
I guess that it simply comes down to what you'd want to hitch up to, when you take time off from seeing the sights...
If you start with the basic concept of a roof over your rig, and spots to plug in the important systems: anything else after that is just gravy!

Oh! When you build yours by the water: remember to have a spot for the boat also!
Old 05-01-2018, 10:22 PM   #16

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
State: California
THOR #3559
RV Port Homes

If you google "RV Port Home Kit" you will see all kinds of options. If you own a lot somewhere it might be worth considering.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:27 PM   #17

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
... If I recall they avoided many taxes as long as they weren’t more than around 400 square feet...
Basically, this provides for no 'property taxes' because it is considered a 'trailer', which falls under a licensing/tag fee. The fee may be similar to property taxes, but probably less since it's more than likely a flat fee. If you see a sticker with a 'year' listed on the front/corner of the 'house', then it's charged just like a trailer is. A trailer is not considered 'property' for taxes since it is mobile. The 'property owner' of the LAND will have to pay property tax, on the land's assessed value, but not the trailer owner, unless they are one and the same.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:29 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
So just keep it small, simple, and just the basics!
Old 05-11-2018, 06:25 PM   #19

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
What a cool idea!
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:47 PM   #20

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
I didn't know they existed. We just bought our retirement (small) home in Panama City Beach. The vacant lot across the street is available but hard to justify for storage only. I could build one of these for boat and MH, and rent out the little one BR to a single person in exchange for house sitting and dog watching for the times we travel without the dogs!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote