Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-17-2021, 11:06 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Jersey
THOR #25574
Motorcoach and Portable Generator

Hello - New to RV so wanted to hear expert opinion on: would you advice me getting a portable generator too. I am going to get 20K Sequence

Old 12-17-2021, 01:50 PM   #2

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Lightweight inverter/generator
2000 watt will generally start your 13k AC unit
Honda 2200 is most preferred but also most expensive at $1200+
There are many value choices (made in China) that are sold under varied names ranging from $400-750.

Plus you need to carry a small gas container.
Old 12-17-2021, 01:58 PM   #3

State: Texas
THOR #24719
The Predator inverters are also a good option, especially with the warranty.
Upgrades https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...ods-28849.html
v_chat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 02:04 PM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
They are considered crass and ill-mannnered and just f'n rude in an rv park or if you have just one neighbor while boondocking.

No one of reason can dispute this.
No one on this forum has ever said how glad they were that their neighbor was running a portable generator.

You'll get recommendation for brand.
You'll not get a recommendation to actually use one.
Ever.

Quiet or not, it's not a community bright spot of any sort.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 02:08 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I will attempt to answer the OP’s question rather than provide unasked for opinions on brands.

Should you get a portable generator?
It depends on how you plan to use the Rv. If you plan a lot of off grid time in wooded areas then a generator may be required. If you are going to be plugged in more than not then it’s not that important. Only you know how you will use the rig.

Also, if a generator is an option on the rig consider that option first.
Old 12-17-2021, 02:23 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
My personal opinion is that it depends on the van’s option and also how you will use it.

#1) Standard specs show 200 Amp-hour lithium battery, with optional 800 Ah Re(Li)able system. That is quite a difference, and you didn’t mention which one you are planning on.

#2) Will you be using air conditioning other than when at camp grounds or other locations with shore power?

The standard lithium batteries (2 X 100 Amp-hour each) along with 3,000-Watt inverter could handle most normal camping needs as long as it doesn’t involve powering the air conditioner, particularly if driving every day.

The optional 800 Ah Re(Li)able battery system should be able to power air conditioner through night while sleeping, but if running A/C 24 hours a day in hot weather, the dedicated second alternator would require van engine to run too much, so I would get a portable generator.

I would not need a portable generator if I had 800 Ah of lithium because we drive every day.

I would definitely need a portable generator if I only had 200 Ah of lithium.

P.S. — We traveled successfully for many years without a generator because we always stayed at campgrounds with shore power, and had no need at all for a generator. Years later we started to boondock without shore power and ended up buying a portable 2200/1800 Watt inverter generator to power air conditioner to sleep through night in warm weather. When cool, generator stays at home.

In my opinion portable generators are a pain when traveling, and much worse in a van where there is no room to haul them without adding a cargo box. That’s what we do, but it extends length of van beyond that of normal parking spaces. I did it as an add-on, but would not buy a new van on that basis. I would either get the 800 Amp-hour battery option (if affordable), or find a different van with the built-in Onan 2800 Watt inverter generator mounted under floor.

Basically, we need air conditioning through the night too often, and that drives our equipment needs. For now a portable generator is a necessary evil I want to eliminate as soon as possible. Relatively speaking, it’s a PITA for the kind of traveling we do.

Tags
generator