Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-04-2022, 01:32 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #25902

First motor home. I have 27’ Thor Chateau and am camping first time in March 2022. Real anxious about setting up camp area. Need pointers please

Old 02-04-2022, 01:54 AM   #2

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Start now trying out every system to be sure you know how they works. If you have a slide out(s), open and close it/them. Go out on a couple of local 2 day trips learning how to set up. If you can't get out now with it, try camping in your driveway. You will need some basic tools(wrenches, screw drivers). You will need to get it as level as possible when camping(for the refrigerator to work properly). Remember that you will need a sewer hose in order to drain your black(toilet) and grey(sink) holding tanks. If you plan on using campground/city water you will also need an approved water line for that task(usually a white camping approved water hose). You might want to look into getting an adjustable water pressure regulator since some camp grounds have too high of water pressure(you need between 45-55 psi). If you plan on using shore power at the campground you need to look at getting a good surge / power protector that plugs into the campground power pedestal. Check out some YouTube videos on how others have equipped themselves for camping.

Welcome to the forum
Paul
Old 02-04-2022, 04:35 AM   #3

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Welcome aboard!
Paul gave you some good pointers. I will add this don't fret enjoy the journey every one of us was a newbie once.
Also, what year is the Chateau? Depending on the model year you can go on the THOR website and with the Vehicle ID Number (VIN) register with THOR Owners Resources. This allows you access to how to videos and other instructions on the systems in your coach.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 04:38 PM   #4

State: Texas
THOR #25902
Thanks
Old 04-02-2022, 02:52 PM   #5

State: Florida
THOR #25859
Water

The only thing I would add to Paul’s post—thanks, again, Paul—is to consider a water filtration system and water softener if you have either a dishwasher or washing machine.

You’ll find that ‘bad’ tasting water will be ‘great’ tasting water if you use a Clearsource Ultra 3-stage water filter (about $500, $70 for a set of refill filters). Your appliances and those who shower/bathe will appreciate the soft water—and the soap will suds! About $300 for a large On The Go softener.

My chief laments is that our Windsport 35M does not have a wet bay where these came pre-installed or where I could install them myself. Such is life—I drag them out of a bay, set them up on the ground, there they sit for the duration of the stay, empty them, and clean them off before stowing them when I pack up. The setup and tear down are well worth the little trouble, considering we no longer have to buy, schlep, and store bottled water.

Kelly
Old 04-02-2022, 03:35 PM   #6

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
A good surge protector/EMS, be sure it's an EMS & not just surge, & an adjustable water pressure regulator, not the cheapo restrictor, in my opinion are absolutely mandatory for ALL rvs.
For all newbies out there, when connected to sewer connection NEVER NEVER EVER leave the black drain valve open, open/drain as needed then close it back.
Drain black tank 1st followed by greys to rinse hose.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote