Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2023, 04:53 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Kentucky
THOR #30679
Octane Booster

I have a 2018 Wind Sport with a V10 engine, has anyone used octane booster to increase power and miles per gallon.

Old 11-30-2023, 04:59 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terril Riley View Post
I have a 2018 Wind Sport with a V10 engine, has anyone used octane booster to increase power and miles per gallon.
Snake oil. If you want to boost Octane buy premium gas.
Old 11-30-2023, 05:08 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Quote:
I run non ethanol ( boat gas) 93 octane tank full once a year just for good measue

Still get 6 to 7 miles to gallon

I know it makes my boat and every gas power tool on compound run great.
Old 11-30-2023, 05:33 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
It doesn't work that way. Your engine is controlled by a computer which is programmed by the manufacturer to run a specific octane fuel. Increasing the octane without retuning the computer does nothing but empty your wallet quicker.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
Old 11-30-2023, 06:40 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
It doesn't work that way. Your engine is controlled by a computer which is programmed by the manufacturer to run a specific octane fuel. Increasing the octane without retuning the computer does nothing but empty your wallet quicker.

And whatever mileage benefit you get from retuning and running on premium gas will be eaten up by the increased cost of premium. There is no free lunch!

David
Old 11-30-2023, 07:12 PM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Sadly...but amazingly...its jist a commercial truck with a huge beer cooler, bath and a bed. Agree with above...nothing but an elixir. Same thing the Gypsies sold on The Andy Griffith Show.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
Old 11-30-2023, 07:24 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I ran a tank of non-ethanol fuel on a trip. I did get about 50 miles added to the range, but seat of the pants performance was the same. That being said, modern engines are tuned to run on the widely available E-10 fuel.
Old 11-30-2023, 07:26 PM   #8

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #30073
If you want to increase efficiency, put a can of Seafoam or Techron in your tank once a year.
FWIW, I run 87 all the time in my cars that "recommend" premium. Many 100ths of thousands of miles without even a hickup!!
Old 11-30-2023, 08:20 PM   #9

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
While it is certainly true that octane does not matter in a carbureted engine that blanket statement does not apply to modern fuel injected engine. A more accurate statement is that the computer is programmed to accommodate factors such as octane, altitude, and power demands. It does this by adjusting the air/fuel ratio and ignition timing. The amount of fuel metered depends on the real time condidtions.

While running higher octane is not required the Ford F53 owner's manual for my 2018 ACE does say that in hot weather it may be necessary to switch to premium to prevent knocking.

As for increased milage. some years ago, I did some experimentation with different fuel types in a flex fuel Chrystler 200. I would run the tank as close to empty as I was comfortable, then I would fill with the new fuel run that near empty, refill again with the new fuel. and then monitor the fuel milage over several tank fill-ups. This is what I found.
  1. E85 got the worst milage but so long as the price was $1.00 or more cheaper than e-10 the cost per mile was better.
  2. E-10 87 octane regular got better MPG then E-85.
  3. E-0 87 octane regular got better MPG than E-10.
  4. Finally E-0 Premium 91 octane got the best MPG.

The real question you need to be asking is, "How many miles per dollar are you getting. At the time I ran my experiments I was most interested in the relative cost per mile differences between E85 and everything else mostly because it appeared to me that retailers were charging a premium price for the E-85 because it was a "green" fuel. My experiments proved to me that E-85 prices that are less than a $1.00 cheaper than E-10 regular is overpriced when you consider dollars per mile.

With all that said, yes premium will get you better fuel economy in modern fuel injected engines but will do nothing for carbureted engines. This is because modern fuel injection engines will make adjustments to the ignition timing and air/fuel ratio to compensate for altitude and fuel octane. Any of us old enough to remember the part of owner's manuals talking about going to a dealer to get your car tuned for running at a high altitude or for low octane fuel. Now adays the engine computer handles all that tuning on the fly. How else do you explain that an engine with a compression ratio that exceeds 9 to 1 can manage to run 87 octane fuel without blowing it's self up? The engine computer allow running 87 octane fuel by changing the timing and air fuel ratio to less efficient settings to prevent engine knock. Less efficient means less fuel efficiency.

So, what you really need to figure out is how many dollars per mile you spend. Unfortunately, that is very difficult to figure out simply because your cost for fuel is constantly changing as are driving conditions. You might find that in your home market you get the most miles per dollar on premium. However, that gets thrown out the window if the price difference of your fuel choices is thrown out of sync. You may find that when premium cost .30 cents per gallon it makes sense to burn premium. However, when that difference jumps to $1.00 per gallon you end up spending more even though you get better fuel MPG.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Old 12-01-2023, 01:51 AM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Does that apply in reverse as well, say you traveling in New Mexico / Colorado and buy 85 Octane or less gas?

I gave up a long while back trying to get better gas mileage, I just don't won't to ruin the engine.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 12-01-2023, 02:02 AM   #11

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
A Sunoco near me sells high octane "racing fuel". Must be good stuff for "race vehicles" tuned to run on it!

Unfortunately the only mileage or performance boost for your motorhome would come from a miniscule weight different of your wallet.

Don't buy the hype. You will get "somewhere" around 10mpg. The way gasoline prices fluctuate, worrying about the difference between 8mpg and 12mpg is counterproductive. If that's a major concern, you chose the wrong hobby.

Just buy the cheapest lawnmower gas that runs your motorhome and enjoy your travels!
Old 12-01-2023, 02:42 AM   #12

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
The V-10 in the 2016 F-53 chassis has a compression ratio of 9.2:1. It does NOT have a knock sensor and has no fuel type sensor. Any fresh fuel of a octane rating (R+M/2) of 86 or greater is suitable for any 6 speed F-53 V-10 at sea level. Minimum octane required decreases with altitude.
Old 12-01-2023, 03:40 AM   #13

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The V-10 in the 2016 F-53 chassis has a compression ratio of 9.2:1. It does NOT have a knock sensor and has no fuel type sensor. Any fresh fuel of a octane rating (R+M/2) of 86 or greater is suitable for any 6 speed F-53 V-10 at sea level.

Minimum octane required decreases with altitude.
I have often wondered about that. At what altitude can you safely burn the 85 octane? As my Motorhome & toad (Jeep Cherokee) owner's manuals state minimum octane rating of 87, when we are traveling through areas with the 85 octane regular we opt to use the mid-grade.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
Old 12-01-2023, 03:48 AM   #14

THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The V-10 in the 2016 F-53 chassis has a compression ratio of 9.2:1. It does NOT have a knock sensor and has no fuel type sensor. Any fresh fuel of a octane rating (R+M/2) of 86 or greater is suitable for any 6 speed F-53 V-10 at sea level. Minimum octane required decreases with altitude.
Here is a quote from the owners manual of my 2018 F53 Chassis.

Quote:
FUEL QUALITY
Choosing the Right Fuel

Your vehicle is designed to operate on
regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum
pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.

Some fuel stations, particularly those in
high altitude areas, offer fuels posted as
regular unleaded gasoline with an octane
rating below 87. We do not recommend
these fuels.
For best overall vehicle and engine
performance, premium fuel with an octane
rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The
performance gained by using premium fuel
is most noticeable in hot weather as well
as other conditions, for example when
towing a trailer. See Towing (page 48).

Do not be concerned if the engine
sometimes knocks lightly. However, if the
engine knocks heavily while using fuel with
the recommended octane rating, contact
an authorized dealer to prevent any engine
damage.

Do not use any fuel other than those
recommended because they could lead to
engine damage that will not be covered by
the vehicle Warranty.
Note: Use of any fuel other than those
recommended can impair the emission
control system and cause a loss of vehicle
performance.
Do not use:
• Diesel fuel.
• Fuels containing kerosene or paraffin.
• Fuel containing more than 15% ethanol
or E85 fuel.
• Fuels containing methanol.
• Fuels containing metallic-based
additives, including manganese-based
compounds.
• Fuels containing the octane booster
additive, methylcyclopentadienyl
manganese tricarbonyl (MMT).
• Leaded fuel, using leaded fuel is
prohibited by law.

The use of fuels with metallic compounds
such as methylcyclopentadienyl
manganese tricarbonyl (commonly known
as MMT), which is a manganese-based
fuel additive, will impair engine
performance and affect the emission
control system.
We recommend Top Tier detergent
gasolines to help minimize engine deposits
and maintain optimal vehicle and engine
performance. For additional information,
refer to www.toptiergas.com.
In short it will run ok on 87 octane, but Ford recommends 91 octane for best overall performance.

Also note that while Ford says it is alright to use E15 Onan DOES NOT. So, limit your fuel selection to 10% or less ethanol.

I remembered the part about using 91 octane in hot weather but I forgot the part about using 91 octane at altitude and while towing, which applies to anyone with a TOAD.

Anyone thinking about using an octane booster should read the label very carefully to make sure it does not contain any additives from the forbidden list. And by all means refer to your own owner's manual. There is no guarantee the information for my 2018 F53 applies to any but my own and perhaps other 2018 F53 models.

Old 12-01-2023, 03:57 AM   #15

THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
I have often wondered about that. At what altitude can you safely burn the 85 octane? As my Motorhome & toad (Jeep Cherokee) owner's manuals state minimum octane rating of 87, when we are traveling through areas with the 85 octane regular we opt to use the mid-grade.
According to FORD the minimum octane rating is 87 no matter what altitude you are driving at. See my post with the quote from my 2018 F53 owners manual.

Old 12-01-2023, 04:04 AM   #16

THOR #28145
in short when in doubt RTFMS Read the fracking Manual Silly.

Old 12-01-2023, 04:25 AM   #17

THOR #13058
I start seeing 86 octane gas at about 2500 ft and 85 octane over 3500 ft or higher.

I think the Duck has to change gas as he drives across his property

I buy the cheapest gas possible so I have been using the 85 octane if it were available. I was hoping via this thread that due to my computer, that I assume I have on my F53; it runs the same as if it were 87 octane.

I have read my manual in the past. I don't remember what it said, but it did not make me think 85 was not safe?

Maybe I use 85 octane and a octane booster
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 12-01-2023, 04:44 AM   #18

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Summer of 2022 I drove from Central Texas to Missoula and back. Used plenty of 85 octane along the way and had no ill effects.
Old 12-01-2023, 05:05 AM   #19

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Summer of 2022 I drove from Central Texas to Missoula and back. Used plenty of 85 octane along the way and had no ill effects.

My guess is I have about 5,000 miles with 85 octane. Never heard any knocking, no issue with the Genny although my genny has an altitude adjustment that I change up and down during the trip at gas stops. Really easy to adjust.

Ford recommends a lot of stuff like Genuine Ford Parts, but that does not mean NOT following a recommendation is unsafe. Besides, I don't have any warranty with them anymore to void.
Old 12-01-2023, 05:19 AM   #20

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
in short when in doubt RTFMS Read the fracking Manual Silly.
I read the manuals!!!!
That is why per my post 13, I stated we use mid-grade in areas with 85 regular. What I asked is at what altitude does the 85 come into play if you are so inclined to use it. I didn't ask for the fracking snark!!!!!
Roadmaster Invisibrake
Closed Thread