Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2018, 04:19 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
I have a MINT condition Burley Tandem Mountain Bike.
I purchased 30yrs ago. I am going to put the 500 watt front hub motor on. I already have a new Panasonic 48v *lithium battery and 15a controller from another project.
Sounds like a great plan, with sane components. Powered Tandem intrigues me ...

Old 11-02-2018, 12:11 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
P.S. — We recently visited Nashville and were amazed at the number of electric scooters all over the downtown area. We didn’t rent them, preferring to walk, but they looked like a lot of fun (granted, a little dangerous). Apparently you can pick them up and drop off as needed. Using phone you can find and pay for rental cost easily.

Anyway, if I was looking for a way to get around a campground with paved roads, that may be an option I would also inquire about. The ones in Nashville were really fast even when hauling large guys up the incline of the pedestrian bridge over the river. Their compact size would make it easier to store in an RV compartment, although that small size compared to a bike may make it easier to get it stolen if left unattended.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:16 PM   #23
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
P.S. — We recently visited Nashville and were amazed at the number of electric scooters all over the downtown area. We didn’t rent them, preferring to walk, but they looked like a lot of fun (granted, a little dangerous). Apparently you can pick them up and drop off as needed. Using phone you can find and pay for rental cost easily.

Anyway, if I was looking for a way to get around a campground with paved roads, that may be an option I would also inquire about. The ones in Nashville were really fast even when hauling large guys up the incline of the pedestrian bridge over the river. Their compact size would make it easier to store in an RV compartment, although that small size compared to a bike may make it easier to get it stolen if left unattended.
Must have been the BIRD scooters. They are everywhere these days (even downtown Detroit has them).

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 12:20 PM   #24
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Motorized scooters like Bird and Lime are 'a major problem' in Nashville, cop says
Adam Tamburin, Nashville Tennessean Published 8:13 p.m. CT Sept. 7, 2018 | Updated 8:21 p.m. CT Sept. 7, 2018

Lime, an electric scooter sharing company, launches in Nashville Shelley Mays,
A Nashville police leader said the recent reemergence of motorized scooters downtown created "a major problem that we're going to have to deal with."

Lt. David Leavitt, who oversees security for large special events like Titans games or Live on the Green, alerted police leadership during a meeting Friday. He said the motorized scooters, which returned to city streets after a new ordinance allowing them was approved in August, have created a headache for officers.

Probably not going to be around for long due to the poor manners of their customers.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 12:41 PM   #25
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
I am not a bike riding or motorcycling helmet guy. Not writing this arguing the point, personal preference. While I do travel with family Daughter, Son, College, Daughter in Highschool, Wife. They all ride and Always wear helmets. I find it very interesting and pointed out to them...that everyone BIG BUSINESS, POLITICIANS, THE BIGGIE? "BIKE HELMET MAKERS" ETC. rant and rave about how stupid everyone is for not wearing helmets while riding bikes, scooters, etc... My point to them is Hmmmm. I guess when you pay for a Ride sharing bike or Rent the scooter Big Business could care less about your "Safety" NOW THAT THEY HAVE YOUR $$$... There are no Helmets around?? I guess if your paying them it's ok not to have a helmet on because... hmmm Nobody does they are Not offered with the programs.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:16 PM   #26

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
They won't last...just like drones. Great concept and a perfect solution to a need (economical aerial photography) but it's the rouge, millennial class of entitled that will kill it. If the controls were set as "Is this your credit card or your mommy's?", or "are you over 25 and still living at home?", or "do you talk like a 'Valley Girl' from the 60's?", or "do you really own anything?", and not let those people rent them, maybe they could eliminate the abuse problem.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:57 PM   #27

THOR #2121
We did question lack of safety while in Nashville. The rules clearly say helmets required, and there is an age limit, although we saw young kids on them without helmets. Most were being ridden on sidewalks, not on busy streets, so that rule wasn’t being informed either.

For private use around a campground, issues are very different. It’d be like comparing a golf cart in a campground versus driving it in a downtown area. There’s probably not that much difference between these scooters and electric bikes, although a bike should be a little safer — just a guess though.

Regarding helmets, after putting a few to the test, I’m convinced they do save lives. After an accident, seeing your crushed or cracked helmet makes a loud statement.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:58 PM   #28

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
A very different take.

First thought is that 1-pound from mid section is enough energy to pedal a bike for about 100 miles, more or less depending on speed, so range is great.

Recharging can be a lot of fun too. Some of my friends go for a burger, fries, and a Shiner.

Pedaling, no matter how slowly, and we’ll lose weight, be more fit, and get to eat and drink more stuff. It’s a win-win.
I like your thought process! LOL As a "young" man I loved riding bike. Now...My knees & legs aren't happy at all pedaling hard. I am hoping the electric assist will help build leg strength again.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:09 PM   #29

THOR #7205
I thought about electric scooter vs e-bike. My wife & I bought prefer the thought of a bike. With a scooter if you lose control somehow, you will be stepping/jumping off running to catch yourself. Plus, with a bike you get the benefit of pedaling.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:12 PM   #30
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
THOR #7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
I like your thought process! LOL As a "young" man I loved riding bike. Now...My knees & legs aren't happy at all pedaling hard. I am hoping the electric assist will help build leg strength again.
99dart It will. I guarantee a "pedal assist" bike Will do that 4 u. I ride with several neighbors letting them use our bikes 65yrs old plus. They all said I never thought I would enjoy riding again. Another point our neighborhood is called "Lake HILLS" and they ride with ease. Go 4 it!!
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:28 PM   #31

THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
99dart It will. I guarantee a "pedal assist" bike Will do that 4 u. I ride with several neighbors letting them use our bikes 65yrs old plus. They all said I never thought I would enjoy riding again. Another point our neighborhood is called "Lake HILLS" and they ride with ease. Go 4 it!!
Nice... I'm having a hard time deciding on a kit. I'm thinking this one looks OK??
https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-24-26-Fr...r=651091596638
If that doesn't show correct, it's the 24" 750 x 36 volt. Geez....that's a fat bike wheel. I would stay normal width.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/36V-750W-24...r6a:rk:13:pf:0
Old 11-02-2018, 10:32 PM   #32
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
I've reached the point where "Speed, Strength & Endurance" have been replaced by "Comfort, TV remote & Pizza"!
My Missus used to have a Menstrual cycle: she traded it in for something crankier!

She's not standing behind me: is she?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 03:26 AM   #33

THOR #2121
Quote:
Yeah, know what you mean.

I’ve been riding consistently since I learned, but picked it up even more after a knee injury when cycling was used to rehab knee and strengthen leg muscles. Before long I replaced running with cycling.

I can no longer ride anywhere close to the same intensity that I enjoyed before, but what’s hurt more than getting older is not having the time to train. I hope in next year or two I can get back to riding as before, just slower. To get stronger at any age we have to put in the time and effort.

As to pedaling “hard”, that’s not good unless rider is young and trying to build muscle mass quickly. Riders can develop more power by spinning faster, so it pays to use a lower gear and turn pedals over quickly. Pedaling slowly at high effort (torque) will fatigue legs, make them burn, and possibly lead to knee problems. If you watch proffessional bike races, you’ll see many spinning close to 100 RPMs while going up mountains. In old days they “mashed” while climbing, which is no longer competitive.

By the way, I didn’t mean to discourage electric assist of any kind. I was just thinking that if not trying to keep up with a group, why not just pedal at a slower pace? If you only cover half the distance in same amount of time, does it really matter? I expect most times it wouldn’t matter much.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:14 PM   #34

Brand: Dutchmen
THOR #13214
Bike

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181110-160951_Gallery.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	13967

This is what you need, runs excellent
Old 11-11-2018, 12:23 AM   #35

THOR #2121
It appears Ford sees some potential to these small electric scooters.

https://medium.com/@ford/lets-go-for...n-bbeae278d373
Old 11-11-2018, 01:14 AM   #36

THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Local150 View Post
Attachment 13967

This is what you need, runs excellent
I've considered Mopeds too. I still have my motorcycle endorsement, so that wouldn't be a problem. I'm searching for a "smokin' deal"!
Old 11-11-2018, 01:20 AM   #37

Brand: Dutchmen
THOR #13214
Quote:
I've considered Mopeds too. I still have my motorcycle endorsement, so that wouldn't be a problem. I'm searching for a "smokin' deal"!
Thinking of selling this one
Old 11-11-2018, 01:57 AM   #38

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
We recently purchased a pair of Tomos mopeds. They are great fun to ride and get the job done if you only need to go a few miles. They can go 30mph but realistically 25 is the most comfortable. On the plus side they are easy to transport on a regular cargo carrier and light enough for DW and me to just pick them up when it’s time to leave.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:05 PM   #39

State: California
THOR #11959
E bikes and RV travel is a perfect match. We no longer bring a tow (car or motorcycle). We "hang" 3 from the back of our 25' Isata. A road tandem for wife and me. A trail single for my fun and an extra to sell or for guests. Front hub builds work best with RVs since the front wheel (and the motor weight) is easy to remove. Then lifting, even a tandem, on to a rack is easy.

Just remember they are still bicycles and you pedal...... but you'll feel 20 years younger and the hills now seem flat. If you only use the motor you will be disappointed with the speed and range. And you'll miss the fun of passing "Tour de France" type athletes. Get a moped instead.

I build them from the ~$150 Chinese brushless hub/wheel/controller kits and older, but high end bikes (cheap). Batteries are the crucial part. Lead acid are very heavy and don't last many cycle when deeply discharged. Lithuim MnCo 18650 cells I think are the best choice. The same cells are in as in most Tesla cars, in electric bike batteries($500+), but also in Makita, and other brand tool batteries. Since tool batteries are made in the millions, with robots, the cost is a small fraction of ebike batteries. They are also more rugged, faster charging, safer and they last.

Mount them to the bike just like snapping a battery on to your drill. Recharge them off the bike on a factory charger in an hour or so. The mounting bus is simple to build and 3d printed mounts are now available for most brands on eBay. 36v500w (25mph) kit needs two 18v batteries in series (2s1p). 4 batteries (2s2p) more than doubles the range. You'll want to use the higher capacity batteries (5ah+). I use and sell enough to have 15cell, 18v@10.5ah batteries in Makita cases specially built. Two of those will power me 20 to 30 miles on a charge. Our favorite tandem (we have 4) mounts six (54v@21AH) has a range of over 50 miles.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RV and bikes.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	13989   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0025.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	13990  

Name:	SAM_0017.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	13991   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2848.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	13992  

Name:	SAM_0004.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	13993  
Old 11-11-2018, 10:40 PM   #40

THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedog91902 View Post
E bikes and RV travel is a perfect match. We no longer bring a tow (car or motorcycle). We "hang" 3 from the back of our 25' Isata. A road tandem for wife and me. A trail single for my fun and an extra to sell or for guests. Front hub builds work best with RVs since the front wheel (and the motor weight) is easy to remove. Then lifting, even a tandem, on to a rack is easy.

Just remember they are still bicycles and you pedal...... but you'll feel 20 years younger and the hills now seem flat. If you only use the motor you will be disappointed with the speed and range. And you'll miss the fun of passing "Tour de France" type athletes. Get a moped instead.

I build them from the ~$150 Chinese brushless hub/wheel/controller kits and older, but high end bikes (cheap). Batteries are the crucial part. Lead acid are very heavy and don't last many cycle when deeply discharged. Lithuim MnCo 18650 cells I think are the best choice. The same cells are in as in most Tesla cars, in electric bike batteries($500+), but also in Makita, and other brand tool batteries. Since tool batteries are made in the millions, with robots, the cost is a small fraction of ebike batteries. They are also more rugged, faster charging, safer and they last.

Mount them to the bike just like snapping a battery on to your drill. Recharge them off the bike on a factory charger in an hour or so. The mounting bus is simple to build and 3d printed mounts are now available for most brands on eBay. 36v500w (25mph) kit needs two 18v batteries in series (2s1p). 4 batteries (2s2p) more than doubles the range. You'll want to use the higher capacity batteries (5ah+). I use and sell enough to have 15cell, 18v@10.5ah batteries in Makita cases specially built. Two of those will power me 20 to 30 miles on a charge. Our favorite tandem (we have 4) mounts six (54v@21AH) has a range of over 50 miles.
NICE!! Thanks for posting. I have been watching the local "Craigslist" for nice older bikes. I'm just unsure of the wheel kit. What brand (or are they pretty much the same) & voltage/watt combination to go with. I have been building battery packs since the 80's when I raced radio control off road cars. So, I have been tearing apart my old laptop batteries and using the 18650's in an old drill and electric screw driver. It's fun to mess with!