Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2018, 06:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Pedal to Electric Bike conversion

Has anyone thought about buying or already have a conversion for a bike? My DW & I think it would be fun to use around an RV park or run to the "Mini-Mart". I would probably go with a front wheel motor for ease of assembly and leaving the pedals free from anything to go wrong. Any thoughts? https://www.amazon.com/AW-Electric-B...EFA66D18BYX2K0

Old 10-31-2018, 06:53 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
For the money: it's certainly worth the experimentation!
The installation (to my VERY untrained eyeballs...) seems to be pretty straightforward.
Let us know how it works: good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:21 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Much more doable ($$ wise) then buying a whole eBike (I'm sure the eBike's are a lot nicer).

Hmm now another rabbit hole to go down...LOL

Edit: Ok since I'm down this rabbit hole:

Note that the conversion kit does NOT come with a battery. Its the battery that costs the big bucks.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 01:00 AM   #4

THOR #7205
Yup... some do have the battery included. But, they cost more...
Old 11-01-2018, 02:38 AM   #5

Model: 2022 Tellaro 20AT
State: Colorado
THOR #8835
E-bike conversion

I bought a imotor for under $300. It is a front wheel conversion that has a removable small battery that is attached to the hub. I converted an old mountain bike and can get about 6-10 miles per charge.
Here is the link https://www.ebay.com/itm/36V-240W-26...72.m2749.l2649
Old 11-01-2018, 11:34 AM   #6

Model: Challenger 37YT
State: Tennessee
THOR #10421
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
Has anyone thought about buying or already have a conversion for a bike? My DW & I think it would be fun to use around an RV park or run to the "Mini-Mart". I would probably go with a front wheel motor for ease of assembly and leaving the pedals free from anything to go wrong.
I bought one of those foldable eBikes and it was fun to ride but the motor was only 300W and would barely pull any hills. About a year later, I decided to convert my regular mountain bike to electric so I bought an 800W front motor/tire assembly and used the 36V lithium battery pack from the foldable. Now the bike will pull larger hills, although it's best to help by pedaling but it's much easier to go up a hill if it's relatively steep. I have about a 12-15 mile range but could get more if the ground was more level and/or I pedaled more. Mine will run about 20-25 MPH top speed so it's plenty fast enough. It works great for leisurely rides and especially around campgrounds, etc. I paid about $200 for the motor kit which had everything except the battery. If you don't want to spend the big bucks for the battery pack, you COULD go with lead/acid car or motorcycle type batteries if you have the means, room and a secure way of mounting them to the bike. Bear in mind the higher the amp/hour rating (AH), the longer they'll last before needing a recharge. I've enjoyed mine and thinking of going to a 1500W motor for even better hill climbing power.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:16 PM   #7

THOR #7205
Thanks for the input guys. So, does the voltage (36, 48) make much difference? Say a 26" wheel, 1000 watt, 36 volt would mean fewer batteries/smaller battery pack whether lithium or wet cell.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:58 PM   #8

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Quote:
Has anyone thought about buying or already have a conversion for a bike? My DW & I think it would be fun to use around an RV park or run to the "Mini-Mart". I would probably go with a front wheel motor for ease of assembly and leaving the pedals free from anything to go wrong. Any thoughts?
I've converted several... and front wheel is definitely the easy/simple/cheapest! However ... be cognizant of the forces front forks must now handle
Old 11-01-2018, 03:08 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Thanks for the input guys. So, does the voltage (36, 48) make much difference? Say a 26" wheel, 1000 watt, 36 volt would mean fewer batteries/smaller battery pack whether lithium or wet cell.
I guess that it would be about the same as it is with golfcarts: more voltage means more power, more top speed, more range...
And lithium batteries are definitely the way to go!
Old 11-01-2018, 05:43 PM   #10

THOR #1944
Quote:
The limitation I had with eBike hub motors is the narrow hollow axel (limited amps due to wire space/size). Example Issue: too many Amps for too long and wires melt

So, increasing voltage reduces the Amps required for a given Wattage. Something like Amps = Watts/Volts so a 1000W @ 36V would be roughly 30Amps going through whatever the kit wire size is (too much current I'm sure) and @48V it would be more like 21Amps (typically ok).

I ran quality eBike geared hub motors at 1500W continuously with 58V batteries and fat wires spliced in where they exit the axel (~26A). However, I'd suggest keeping a stock hub type eBike motor more near 21Amps max. That's 36V @ 750W or 48V @ 1000W.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:59 PM   #11

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Electric

Just saw a foldable model at our local bicycle store with the fat tires for around $1400. They seem to be getting cheaper and the systems more efficient for ranges of around 20 miles. You won't be going that far most of the time anyway.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:30 PM   #12

Model: 2022 Tellaro 20AT
State: Colorado
THOR #8835
More advice

The Imotor uses a throttle but requires you to peddle to get going. It can go about 15mph. The motor and battery add about 18lbs to the bike, so you may want to purchase a heavy duty hitch bike rack. This is about as cheap as you can build an e-bike. Not sure if the warrantee is any good but I have put about 75 miles on it so far and it still works. I find it helps on hills and reduces effort overall. I you don’t want to peddle it would be advisable to get a moped or small motorcycle. I also own a very nice e-bike but prefer to leave it at home, as it was expensive, and I don’t want it to get stolen ore damaged. It has a 50 mile range.

I recommend before you decide on buying any e-bike or conversion kit, please go to the following YouTube sites:
1. Cheap e-bike. The Crazy Romanian
Https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...1ilIVZwg5qtZte
2. ElectricBikeReview.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcJ...xKnB_J8ynIYx2A
3. EbikeSchool.com https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRM...IWvY3PINkLKs-Q

These YouTube videos will keep you busy for a month or 2…
Old 11-01-2018, 10:19 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffsFreedomElite View Post
The Imotor uses a throttle but requires you to peddle to get going. It can go about 15mph. The motor and battery add about 18lbs to the bike, so you may want to purchase a heavy duty hitch bike rack. This is about as cheap as you can build an e-bike. Not sure if the warrantee is any good but I have put about 75 miles on it so far and it still works. I find it helps on hills and reduces effort overall. I you don’t want to peddle it would be advisable to get a moped or small motorcycle. I also own a very nice e-bike but prefer to leave it at home, as it was expensive, and I don’t want it to get stolen ore damaged. It has a 50 mile range.

I recommend before you decide on buying any e-bike or conversion kit, please go to the following YouTube sites:
1. Cheap e-bike. The Crazy Romanian
Https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...1ilIVZwg5qtZte
2. ElectricBikeReview.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcJ...xKnB_J8ynIYx2A
3. EbikeSchool.com https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRM...IWvY3PINkLKs-Q

These YouTube videos will keep you busy for a month or 2…
Oh great...
Now you've even got ME getting curious about these things...
Old 11-01-2018, 10:23 PM   #14

THOR #1944
Forum that has some really sharp eBike folks: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/

FWIW ... at 1500W it was roughly 35mph and no pedal force needed at any time. I caution going over 750W for front kit. Just make sure whatever kit you get is not just assist.

Here's a little first ride video of a 1000W rear geared hub with 60A 48-64V controller: https://youtu.be/EYlRNF-vK74
Old 11-01-2018, 11:23 PM   #15
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
A few things to consider. If your motor is over 750 watts or 1 hp it is not considered an electric bicycle. Most Elec. Bikes are programmed not to exceed 23 mph to stay in electric bike category. The correct mix of Motor Watts, Controller Amp Output and Battery is very important for power and range.
I would for the Rv'er look for range over speed. Constant 20 mph is Fast on a bicycle and probably very painful in a fall. When you buy an electric bike it will have "pedal assist" some kits do not have that.
I think pedal assist is the most important feature of an electric bike. The problem is...if you test out an electric bike you will probably purchase it.
I will have mine @ the Purdue / Iowa game Nov. 3 stop by say hello and try one out !!
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:07 AM   #16

THOR #7205
Wow, Thanks for the good info guys! We don't have bicycles currently. Our bikes were 30 yrs old, so scrapped them. My wife has a heck-of-a-time trying to shift gears with a derailer system, so wants a simple single speed bike. We will probably get something inexpensive to convert to start.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:11 AM   #17

THOR #1944
Look for steel frames if you want the best platform for eBike. The inexpensive part means old used ones like those you scrapped
Old 11-02-2018, 03:16 AM   #18
Site Team

THOR #7074
I have a MINT condition Burley Tandem Mountain Bike.
I purchased 30yrs ago. I am going to put the 500 watt front hub motor on. I already have a new Panasonic 48v *lithium battery and 15a controller from another project.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:22 AM   #19
Site Team

THOR #7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek View Post
Forum that has some really sharp eBike folks: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/

FWIW ... at 1500W it was roughly 35mph and no pedal force needed at any time. I caution going over 750W for front kit. Just make sure whatever kit you get is not just assist.

Here's a little first ride video of a 1000W rear geared hub with 60A 48-64V controller: https://youtu.be/EYlRNF-vK74
That bike you built is CRAZY POWERFUL Neat Project. One thing about electric ... Hold on!! You hit the power your Moving Fast!
Old 11-02-2018, 04:05 AM   #20

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:

......cut...... Any thoughts? ......cut.....
A very different take.

First thought is that 1-pound from mid section is enough energy to pedal a bike for about 100 miles, more or less depending on speed, so range is great.

Recharging can be a lot of fun too. Some of my friends go for a burger, fries, and a Shiner.

Pedaling, no matter how slowly, and we’ll lose weight, be more fit, and get to eat and drink more stuff. It’s a win-win.