Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2016, 01:43 AM   #21
vkb

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
One of ours had an asthma attack and we were at an animal hospital until midnight Sunday. Luckily our primary vet at home is a 24 hour emergency center as well so we called them and they provided us the contact info for a vet in Winston-Salem and called ahead for us. Everything worked out fine and the little guy is doing well. Turns out the receptionist at the W-S clinic used to work for our vet so the communication flow was outstanding.

Lesson learned, always know where the closest animal emergency center is located.
2 years ago, we were on an extended trip with our Tigger, at the time 9 yrs old,..had been diagnosed diabetic about 6 months earlier. She was doing well on pills, rather than shots. We had her checked before we left for our trip..our vet said she should be ok. On the last leg of our trip, at Bryce National Park (everyone should visit Bryce) .. at night it was about 35 ..Tigger loved to sleep on the floor in the motorhome .. she caught a cold .. no vet nearby .. could not reach our vet .. in a little more than a day she passed away. When she got sick, she would not eat or drink...rejected her pill..it all happened so fast...it was horrible. Even though we have KC...we still mourn her death. I pass this story on to everyone, just to let you know...you never know what can happen. One day they are doing their usual routine..the next they are gone.

We love and miss you Tigger ... KC travels with Tigger doll ...

Enjoy your furry kids and treasure every minute...good and bad !

K

Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:58 AM   #22

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
My dog pretty much lays in her bed under the dinette table. She does get up to look out the doggie window now and then.. but pretty much sleeps thru., at 15 + I don't care what she does or a law...she is like 100 in human years.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:07 PM   #23

Model: Sieta Sprinter 24 ST
State: Virginia
THOR #4408
Sorry for your loss, my cats all went quick too. No warning and even with a trip to the vet, there was no stopping mother nature. having lost an adult daughter to a stroke, I take death very hard to any living being.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:48 AM   #24

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Interesting topic. Our 6lb Yorkie already has her bed at my wife's feet in the front cab. Most likely she will be in her lap. That dog loves to be held while driving. Has to see outside.

My problem will be with my 90lb, 14 1/2 year old black lab. Shes not as stable on her feet as she once was. We're hoping we can put an ex-pen in the kitchen area and hopefully she will sleep. Sleeping is her favorite past time these days. Great dog.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:57 AM   #25

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
My 15yr old Jack Russell is on her own.. mostly sleeps in her bed under the dinette...every now and then comes up to the passenger side to look out the doggie window.. I have had a few quick stops, turns, etc and she did not get thrown around... maybe from her days on my boat...now that takes legs to keep up with the waves and stuff.. note the overturned dog dish.. she ate the "good stuff" and now looking for more..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160414_185247.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	2621  
Old 10-18-2016, 09:19 PM   #26

State: Oklahoma
THOR #5735
Where is the Litter box?
Old 10-19-2016, 12:37 AM   #27
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by road44toad View Post
Where is the Litter box?
We place the litter box in the shower...it is a tight fit, so, very little litter gets on the floor of the shower. Take it out in the morning and place it on the step cover,...brush up any litter in the shower and bathroom floor and ready to use shower !
We had, originally, thought we would put the litter box, during the night, on the step cover, but KC is so used to it being in the shower we do not want to confuse him....after all...it IS his motorhome !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 05-20-2017, 07:43 AM   #28

THOR #7060
Our boys ride in their crates, our girl terrior on our lap and or her bed on the couch with her harness attached to seat belt
Old 05-20-2017, 12:23 PM   #29
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by road44toad View Post
Where is the Litter box?

The salesman for our ACE showed us a 30.2 that had the mudroom used as a litterbox.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:09 PM   #30
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
The salesman for our ACE showed us a 30.2 that had the mudroom used as a litterbox.
We do not have a mudroom .. we set KC's litter box in the shower...his box has tall sides with low front for entry...the small amount of litter which gets on the shower floor is no problem sweeping up before human shower use !
We never wash litter down the drain !!!

opps ! I had already replied to this post !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 05-20-2017, 01:15 PM   #31

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
We secure young dog crate on couch in place of backrest. Old guy crate secured to front of couch. Getting to bathroom is good exercise on road. Once at destination they are free and usually rest in the way whenever possible.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:01 PM   #32

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Ours sits with my wife in the passenger seat while we are underway. She loves to nap, then watch the scenery go by, then nap, then watch...................
Old 03-20-2018, 06:54 PM   #33

State: Iowa
THOR #10390
We use sleepypods for our two Cavs. They ride and sleep on couch just behind cab in our Gemini motor home. The pods work well, and can double up as everyday harnesses.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:02 PM   #34

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
My wife came across a tip on another forum. Get some of those cardboard key tags, the round ones, and place your campsite number on the tag when you arrive at a campground and then tie the tag to the pet's collar. That way if for some unknown reason the pet gets loose and starts wandering whoever finds it will know which site you are at. You can purchase the tags at office supply stores or at an arts and crafts store if you want less than "too many".
What a great idea, will do that.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:52 PM   #35

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred g View Post
If you are traveling in New Jersey it is illegal to have an unsecured pet. They must be in a crate or tethered. We also use a harness with a tether whether in a motorhome or a vehicle. Most of the states have legislation pending to require this. Think about it, a cute 35lb dog becomes a projectile in a crash.

Fred
But there is no requirement for seatbelts in the RV other than those in the two front seats behind the windshield. In a major impact in an RV you're pretty screwed no matter how tied down you are. We have one very small dog out of our three and she is too active to let her roam free inside so we put her in a small crate while we are moving.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:31 PM   #36
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I really hate to be the one to bring this us...
When your rig is on the road, and adding miles to the odometer: your furry kids should be secured in their location. Don't just hook a leash to a collar: we're talking about harnessing them to several points, and using some sort of a safety vest.
You sure don't want them bouncing around loose in the rig: if things get ugly!!!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote