Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2023, 11:07 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Utah
THOR #29410
Power concerns with Traeger

Hey everyone! I have a 2022 Thor Sequence van with the basic lithium package and I love it! I'm always trying to be pretty thrifty with the power though since I'm usually not plugged in at campsites I go to. There is no generator on these so the coach only recharges when we drive around (it has a 2nd alternator that charges the coach instead of a generator.) I haven't measured it scientifically, but I always keep the inverter turned off unless I'm specifically using the microwave or need to plug in a waffle maker or something.
Recently, I've had my eyes on the Traeger Ranger grill. the only problem is that it 's gotta be plugged in so the inverter will have to be on the entire time I'm cooking anything with it. I've read though that this unit pulls 300W but only for the first 4 or 5 minutes and it goes down to 50W after that and even lower once it gets up to the right temp. So, I'm wondering a couple things actually:
1. Am I too paranoid about always turning my inverter off? Does leaving it on really drain that much?
2. Does anyone have any experience with running a Traeger by plugging it into your coach? Does it seem to take a lot of power?

Old 04-10-2023, 11:24 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Turn your inverter off when not using it to conserve battery power - not paranoid - just good practice.

I think you're OVER-estimating the power requirements for that grill as Traeger sells a 400 watt inverter to use with it, so it probably does not exceed 300 watts at ignition and 30 watts at steady state.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 11:46 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I have a Traeger Ranger and what you’re going to cook will determine the power requirements. My inverter is always on unless the rig is in storage.

Go to YouTube and watch the videos on the Ranger’s power requirements. Folks us a portable power source with them all the time to include some solar power stations.