Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2019, 03:17 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #13770
Repairs at cw today & racing south away from the cold again

It seems I made it thru all these winter storms & freezing temps over the past two months only to come park in front of cw last nite in well above freezing temps, (in order to be on time for my windshield & step fix appt the next day), & all my efforts to dodge ice, storms & freezing temps were for naught. I'm less than a day & a wake up from being a 2 month old rv'er & my worse fear of winter came true (nope, not turning into a human popsicle)!

I went outside to walk Radar last night & I saw a torrent of water coming out from the bottom of my rig! I ran to check my fresh water level & it had totally emptied out. I was rather numb w/shock, wondering how the hell I'd be able to pay for a destroyed fresh water tank. It just seemed to ironic to have gotten thru so much only to destroy my tank in near 50 degree temps.

Needless to say, I didn't sleep well & was exhausted when I got up to check in for the early morning repair to my windshield, to again deal with my lack of hot water in the bathroom issue, plus fix the broken step.

With not a little embareassment I told them I had burst my fresh water tank right in front of their door...I figured I was gonna spend many days camping out on their street waiting for repairs or replacement & go into debt to pay for it.

Instead, less than two hours later, the maintenence clerk brought me a little pipe or valve w/a small filter in it & it was split in half. She was smiling when she said that this small part was the culprit that emptied my tank & it probably had been frozen & then melted, releasing the torrent from the break once it melted in the warmer temps.

I asked how much it would cost & how long it would take to fix? She said the bad news was, it wasn't covered by warranty. The good news was, that they already put a new one in, the tank was fixed & that including the labor I owed a grand total of $82! By then, seeing my relief, her smile turned into a grin & then we were both laughing in relief!

I'm now nearly to South Carolina & not going back to deal with my house sale or anything else till this winter is a bad memory!

As for my windshield, that's a warranty issue. No cost involved. They did a small fix for what looked like a bad seal, but they told me to keep an eye on it bc it likely would start leaking again if it was part of a larger problem.

If that turns out to be true, they will have to order a windshield before they can work on it. The corporation requires a new one to be on hand when they pull a windshield since they have a tendency to break. But it's for back up. The work would take a couple of days to "set" once finished, so I'd be enjoying the dead end street outside their fence again for a couple of days if it happens. They said the normal problem they run across is that the windshield &/or the seals are sometimes improperly installed at the factory.

Sooo, I will keep an eye on it & I told them I didn't want to come in for that fix, if needed, till winter was over! I'm headed for Florida (if I can get into a military camp or find free boondockin), or at least the bottom of SC, until I know for certain!

Well, that's my adventure for the day. I've gotta try to catch some sleep. I need about 48 hrs of sleep to make up for the stress I experienced.

Radar has recovery need too. He needs a place to run & play w/out salt & ice causing sores & cuts in his pads. He refuses to wear winter booties. He demolishes every pair I've tried on him & absolutely refuses to move till he gets them torn off his feet - not a good thing when he's my mobility dog. If he's not happy & doing his job - I'm not either...

Good night everyone![emoji39] [emoji190]

Old 03-09-2019, 07:59 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Let 'Er RIP TATER CHIP!!!
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:15 AM   #3

THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Let 'Er RIP TATER CHIP!!!
[emoji57]
Old 03-09-2019, 10:41 AM   #4

Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier Girl View Post
Instead, less than two hours later, the maintenence clerk brought me a little pipe or valve w/a small filter in it & it was split in half. She was smiling when she said that this small part was the culprit ...
Well, lucky you!
Old 03-09-2019, 01:09 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Glad to hear that you're still forging ahead! I hope that your luck is improving...
Old 03-09-2019, 03:40 PM   #6

THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Glad to hear that you're still forging ahead! I hope that your luck is improving...
Builds character!
Old 03-09-2019, 06:34 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
That might be true: I just don't think that's how I got to be such a character!
Old 03-09-2019, 10:57 PM   #8

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #11380
Glad to see you are heading out. Hope your future trails are not as rocky as the past and that you find some free or low-cost sites. Don't know if you've seen this website, www.freecampsites.net, but thought I'd pass it along.

As we say in the Navy, "Keep 'er buttoned up and headed into the wind".
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 01:40 AM   #9

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier Girl View Post
...I'm headed for Florida (if I can get into a military camp or find free boondockin), or at least the bottom of SC, until I know for certain!
I don't know of any military camps; not to say they don't exist. For boon docking, and depending on where you're headed, Ocala National Forest is free: https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/oca...32295&actid=34
Old 03-10-2019, 01:52 AM   #10

THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calman View Post
Glad to see you are heading out. Hope your future trails are not as rocky as the past and that you find some free or low-cost sites. Don't know if you've seen this website, www.freecampsites.net, but thought I'd pass it along.

As we say in the Navy, "Keep 'er buttoned up and headed into the wind".
Thanks Calman, I'll check it out! Yeah, my dad, uncles, and one brother said somethin like that I wish I could remember it now that all the sailors in the family have passed on. In the Army its just bein squared away, trackin, or strack. I'm excited to be movin west. I'm jus outside Augusta GA & its a balmy 72°F at 20:00 hrs! I'm lovin it. Well, I'm movin out early so I gotta catch a few z's now. Th I'm gonna celebrate 2 full months of rv'ing as of today in my dreams. Goodnight y'all!
Old 03-10-2019, 01:54 AM   #11

THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBreeze View Post
I don't know of any military camps; not to say they don't exist. For boon docking, and depending on where you're headed, Ocala National Forest is free: https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/oca...32295&actid=34
Well, today I took a sudden deviation west. So I'm good for now. But thanks so much!
Old 03-10-2019, 02:06 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Where are you off to now?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:54 PM   #13

THOR #13770
Quote:
Where are you off to now?
Off to see my baby bro, my next youngest sis - seven of nine (resistance is futile), & my Mother who says to take my time & come see her when it's good for me - but then calls everyday to see just when that will be.

I still have a bathroom fan insert on order at cw, my house isnt sold yet, & neither is my subaru forrester - but the close call w/the frozen valve or whatever that doohickey is, ended my inertia & now I'm trackin. All last night in Ga it stayed a balmy 69°F!

I plan on stoppin in Tx on the way, & reinstate my citizenship in the republic. I re-upped twice in Tx & left the regulars for active reserve there, so apparently I have more benefits in Tx, including paid education despite having used up all my Army education. I might never use it myself, but I can transfer the benefit to my grandkids who aren't eligible under my 100% VA (only kids under 26 & a spouse are eligible for that).

That added educatoon security for my grandkids ended up being the deciding factor between Fl & Tx as a fulltimer domicile. SD wasn't even considered - it's too bloody cold, jus like my Dad's Northern Mn farm was - & y'all know how much I love the deep freeze!
Old 03-10-2019, 10:17 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I've got a good hunting buddy, who is enjoying his retirement in San Antonio.
(His oldest Daughter just had a house built up near Austin)
Old 03-11-2019, 12:11 AM   #15

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #11380
Was on my tablet and found another website you might be interested in ALL US AND CANADA CAMPGROUNDS LOCATOR: STATE PARKS NATIONAL PARKS FORESTS MORE california oregon washington new york pennsylvania more
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:03 PM   #16

THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calman View Post
Thanks!
Old 03-11-2019, 05:15 PM   #17

THOR #13770
Quote:
I've got a good hunting buddy, who is enjoying his retirement in San Antonio.
(His oldest Daughter just had a house built up near Austin)
I've always loved Texas, but it's definitely changed over the years. San Antonio's gotten too big for my tastes & Austin too liberal. As for Houston, I don't even recognize it anymore & wouldn't mind at all if it was given away to Maryland. I'm gonna see if the Abilene area has retained it's Texas pride...
Old 03-11-2019, 05:49 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Good luck; I hope that you find some of that "Texas Pride"!
Old 03-11-2019, 06:16 PM   #19

THOR #13770
Quote:
Good luck; I hope that you find some of that "Texas Pride"!
thx, it will likely be my domicile choice bc of the xtra vet benefits I have there, but I still plan to keep trackin fulltime, at least for this 1st year
Old 03-11-2019, 06:23 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It's a good place to call home...