Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2017, 08:17 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
That's the case with us now, Chance. We are going to visit relatives in OH, so the traveling part is really just to get there.

To be honest, I'd probably do it more often even on vacation if I had a generator like on previous motorhome. When "traveling" for just a couple of days to get to family, we don't bother packing as much, and plan eating out on the road. After dinner I normally drive until 10 PM to midnight before stopping to sleep; and don't like pulling into campgrounds that late at night. Rest areas are just much more convenient for a quick stop to sleep.

Longer trips are much different for us because we don't like eating out too often, and unfortunately need electric power to prepare most meals, and also for air conditioning.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:20 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Quote:
I've seen so much great info in these forums on just about every aspect of RV'ing. Campgrounds, Walmarts, dry camping, boondocking, full timing... but I have not come across anything about spending the night at state rest areas when traveling cross country.

We are planning to drive from AZ to Ohio and figured on 2 to 3 full days of driving. Are there any things I should know about parking at a rest area for the night along the way?
I only use RA during the day for breaks. I have slept in rest areas but not in an RV. The few times we have decided to use a Walmart for an overnight stop I check it out in advance. I use google earth to check the surrounding area along with crimereport.com. The Walmart has to be close to the interstate and of course allow RV overnight parking.

Here are some things to think about when deciding to spend the night in your RV. What if when you got ready to go in the morning there was an issue, like you had a flat, your RV would not start. Could a service truck get to you in a busy rest area? If you were broke down for the day, would you want to be stuck in a rural interstate rest area, or in a city Walmart? During the night what if you needed police or other emergency services? I would venture to guess their response would be 20 to 30 minutes at a rural rest area, whereas probably under 10 minutes at a city Walmart.

Even when we were full timing we stayed in CG's most of the time. For us, after a long day on the road it was always nice to have everything set up for the night and be able to relax and get a perfect nights sleep. However, there are a lot of folks that enjoy longer days on the road and get a kick out of dry camping in many different places, including rest areas. I guess you just have to try different ways and see what works best for you.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 02:49 PM   #23

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
I only use RA during the day for breaks. I have slept in rest areas but not in an RV. The few times we have decided to use a Walmart for an overnight stop I check it out in advance. I use google earth to check the surrounding area along with crimereport.com. The Walmart has to be close to the interstate and of course allow RV overnight parking.

Here are some things to think about when deciding to spend the night in your RV. What if when you got ready to go in the morning there was an issue, like you had a flat, your RV would not start. Could a service truck get to you in a busy rest area? If you were broke down for the day, would you want to be stuck in a rural interstate rest area, or in a city Walmart? During the night what if you needed police or other emergency services? I would venture to guess their response would be 20 to 30 minutes at a rural rest area, whereas probably under 10 minutes at a city Walmart.

Even when we were full timing we stayed in CG's most of the time. For us, after a long day on the road it was always nice to have everything set up for the night and be able to relax and get a perfect nights sleep. However, there are a lot of folks that enjoy longer days on the road and get a kick out of dry camping in many different places, including rest areas. I guess you just have to try different ways and see what works best for you.
Thanks, those really are things to think about.
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:14 PM   #24

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
I've stayed in rest areas in a few states - never had an issue... Typical of a Walmart stop - I don't extend slides, etc - get some sleep and on my way. Just can't do the shopping thing beyond vending machines...

Ohio is the only ones I've seen so far with hookups (and a machine to take your credit card for the fee - reasonable as I recall compared to CG).

Many are posted with no overnight parking - never been even questioned as I sit between 18 wheelers doing the same thing...
Just curious as to where exactly Rest Areas are that say No overnight parking. I've never seen that. Isn't that what they're for?
Old 07-08-2017, 05:31 PM   #25
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut214 View Post
Just curious as to where exactly Rest Areas are that say No overnight parking. I've never seen that. Isn't that what they're for?
You might think so - but most states don't allow it - or have limitations on where (which roadway). Typically posted as you pull into the rest area.
They are intended for you to pull in and rest certainly - the catch is how long they allow you to stay...

Here is a list of those that ALLOW (one) overnight stay:
(You live in Arizona - one of the states that DOES allow it...)
  • Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • Connecticut
  • Illinois – only on Illinois Toll Road
  • Indiana - only on Indiana Toll Road
  • Kansas
  • Nevada
  • New Mexico
  • New York - emergencies only
  • Ohio - only on Ohio Turnpike
  • Oklahoma
  • Oregon - 14-hour limit
  • Texas
  • Virginia
  • Wyoming - with some limitations
Source: Rest Stops
My experience has matched the article though in other states - I've never been questioned or asked to move...

Ohio is the only one I've seen with electric hookups you can purchase - but others certainly may have that too...

Georgia (south of Macon if I recall) on I-75 has a very nice area for RV's specifically - also posted as no overnight - I've stayed there multiple times.

Florida rest areas are posted as no overnight - but they have Havens' set up at some weigh stations for trucks to overnight - I've never tried pulling in to one of those... but wouldn't hesitate to use a rest area here if I had the need to.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:45 PM   #26

THOR #2121
Quote:
I have seen signs to that effect in various states, although I don't recall which states they were.

I think one of the primary purposes of rest areas is providing "restrooms" for travelers, not lodging. Also if drivers are very tired they should be able to sleep a couple of hours. If RVers like us take over too much parking, that could make the rest area less efficient for the majority of drivers. For that reason I normally don't park until much later at night when the parking areas are not that occupied, and pull into a spot that is far from restrooms (again, in auto area).

Large motorhomes and trucks are a different matter in my opinion. I've noticed many times that the truck/RV parking areas stay fairly crowded during the middle of the night, whereas the auto/van parking areas are rarely crowded after midnight. It suggests to me that many trucks/RVs are spending most of the night.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:54 PM   #27
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Yet Florida Turnpike reststops have places for trucks to connect air conditioning into the cab area from the drivers window (for a fee of course) to keep the sleeper cool without having to have the truck running while they "rest". Talk about mixed signals.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:52 PM   #28

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
You might think so - but most states don't allow it - or have limitations on where (which roadway). Typically posted as you pull into the rest area.
They are intended for you to pull in and rest certainly - the catch is how long they allow you to stay...

Here is a list of those that ALLOW (one) overnight stay:
(You live in Arizona - one of the states that DOES allow it...)
  • Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • Connecticut
  • Illinois – only on Illinois Toll Road
  • Indiana - only on Indiana Toll Road
  • Kansas
  • Nevada
  • New Mexico
  • New York - emergencies only
  • Ohio - only on Ohio Turnpike
  • Oklahoma
  • Oregon - 14-hour limit
  • Texas
  • Virginia
  • Wyoming - with some limitations
Source: Rest Stops
My experience has matched the article though in other states - I've never been questioned or asked to move...

Ohio is the only one I've seen with electric hookups you can purchase - but others certainly may have that too...

Georgia (south of Macon if I recall) on I-75 has a very nice area for RV's specifically - also posted as no overnight - I've stayed there multiple times.

Florida rest areas are posted as no overnight - but they have Havens' set up at some weigh stations for trucks to overnight - I've never tried pulling in to one of those... but wouldn't hesitate to use a rest area here if I had the need to.
BEAMALARM.COM (a personal website) See post #11 this thread.

Disagreeing in part with the list you posted.

Three states they say do not allow overnight stays:

Connecticut
Wyoming
Virginia

Ten other states not in the above list where they say overnight parking is allowed:

Delaware
Idaho
Michigan (in Welcome Centers only)
Mississippi
Montana
Rhode Island
New Jersey
Utah
Washington (state)

Maybe Thorum members from these states could chime in and give their take on whether their state allows at least one night overnight parking? It would be nice to have a working, composite list. Maybe in a separate "pinned" thread?
Old 07-08-2017, 08:33 PM   #29
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Yet Florida Turnpike reststops have places for trucks to connect air conditioning into the cab area from the drivers window (for a fee of course) to keep the sleeper cool without having to have the truck running while they "rest". Talk about mixed signals.
Florida and 'mixed signals' seem to go together from my short time living in this state... Amazing how many local people needed to chase birds from their crops last week - the only way fireworks are legal in the state... lol
Just sign a statement at the corner fireworks stand, and have fun.

But that's a bit off topic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
BEAMALARM.COM (a personal website) See post #11 this thread.

Disagreeing in part with the list you posted.

Maybe Thorum members from these states could chime in and give their take on whether their state allows at least one night overnight parking? It would be nice to have a working, composite list. Maybe in a separate "pinned" thread?
I knew I saw a list before - didn't realize it was in the same thread... Nice thing about the internet - you can always find conflicting info... But the point was it certainly isn't 'allowed' everywhere...

A consolidated/validated list would be nice..
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:02 PM   #30

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
The Florida Turnpike has Plazas instead of Rest Stops, and it's a toll road so I'm not sure same rules apply.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:31 PM   #31

State: North Carolina
THOR #6026
Rvparky app should list it.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:30 PM   #32

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
Haven't traveled that much, but have noticed that many Florida rest stops have dump stations as you exit the truck/rv area.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:34 PM   #33

State: North Carolina
THOR #6026
We found them in NC, La, NC, Ga and Alabama
Old 07-11-2017, 10:52 PM   #34
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhondaMyers.com View Post
We found them in NC, La, NC, Ga and Alabama
Unfortunately, GA has seen fit to close most of their rest stop dump stations for whatever reason.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:27 AM   #35

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderdog View Post
Haven't traveled that much, but have noticed that many Florida rest stops have dump stations as you exit the truck/rv area.
I do not know of any Florida Rest Stops that have a dump station and none are listed in any app that I have?
Old 07-12-2017, 01:39 AM   #36
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
I do not know of any Florida Rest Stops that have a dump station and none are listed in any app that I have?
Yeah, that's my experience as well and I live in Florida.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:35 AM   #37

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
Quote:
There is one in Illinois near the Illinois/Ohio border on Interstate 80 that closes at night with a locked gate.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:16 AM   #38

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
I've seen so much great info in these forums on just about every aspect of RV'ing. Campgrounds, Walmarts, dry camping, boondocking, full timing... but I have not come across anything about spending the night at state rest areas when traveling cross country.

We are planning to drive from AZ to Ohio and figured on 2 to 3 full days of driving. Are there any things I should know about parking at a rest area for the night along the way?
Nothing wrong with staying in a rest area to get some needed sleep. All kinds come into rest areas including some not so nice people. I'm sure you will be diligent and pick a good parking spot, near light if at night, nearer the entry is better because trucks make more noise going out than in, don't send your wife into the facilities alone at night. Had an issue once many years ago with some creepy people but nothing since. Didn't turn out so well for them, I carry a gun everywhere the law permits😀 With the weirdness in the world today, better safe than sorry. When I do stop over for a nap in a rest area it's just for that "rest". I sleep, walk the dogs and then we leave. I wouldn't say I'm paranoid but I just see no reason to linger in a rest area.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:56 PM   #39

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
Nothing wrong with staying in a rest area to get some needed sleep. All kinds come into rest areas including some not so nice people. I'm sure you will be diligent and pick a good parking spot, near light if at night, nearer the entry is better because trucks make more noise going out than in, don't send your wife into the facilities alone at night. Had an issue once many years ago with some creepy people but nothing since. Didn't turn out so well for them, I carry a gun everywhere the law permits😀 With the weirdness in the world today, better safe than sorry. When I do stop over for a nap in a rest area it's just for that "rest". I sleep, walk the dogs and then we leave. I wouldn't say I'm paranoid but I just see no reason to linger in a rest area.
Thanks!
Old 07-12-2017, 03:47 PM   #40

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
Quote:
Rest stops on I10 in NW Fl have dump stations. Some are newly remodeled rest areas, maybe with added dump stations?