Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2018, 01:19 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Any suggestions?

This year, my second full-timing, I have set a goal of finding a new home base. I have lived all of my life on the coast of California (or nearby). BUT unfortunately California has become over-populated and too expensive.

So now I am looking to build an RV Port somewhere in the USA. So far this year, I have looked at Minden NV, Eugene OR and Vancouver WA. Eugene was the only area that was attractive to me.

I do have some specific needs. I don't want more than a dusting of snow a couple of times during winter. I don't want the desert with high winds and months of scorching hot weather.

I do want semi-rural, within 20 minutes of town. Not more than 1 acre of land. Also no HOA or CC&Rs that will keep me from building the RV Port. I do need high speed Internet as well as the normal water, power, and sewer.

I am currently on my way to Prescott AZ to see how that area looks and feels. If that isn't interesting, I will probably go back to Eugene.

I realize that my own ideas and places that I have visited are limited. So I figured that I would put the question out to this esteemed group. Any ideas?

Old 07-13-2018, 03:23 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Your needs for a place are just like mine. Ill add one thing. Tax Friendly!!! Im so tired of ca. Crowds, politics, and high taxes. Ill be taking notes on this thread.

Hopefully we will start travelling with the mindset of looking for a new place to live instead of it being a vacation

its hard to check all the boxes in the want column.

Good luck with your search.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:57 AM   #3

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
This year, my second full-timing, I have set a goal of finding a new home base. I have lived all of my life on the coast of California (or nearby). BUT unfortunately California has become over-populated and too expensive.

So now I am looking to build an RV Port somewhere in the USA. So far this year, I have looked at Minden NV, Eugene OR and Vancouver WA. Eugene was the only area that was attractive to me.

I do have some specific needs. I don't want more than a dusting of snow a couple of times during winter. I don't want the desert with high winds and months of scorching hot weather.

I do want semi-rural, within 20 minutes of town. Not more than 1 acre of land. Also no HOA or CC&Rs that will keep me from building the RV Port. I do need high speed Internet as well as the normal water, power, and sewer.

I am currently on my way to Prescott AZ to see how that area looks and feels. If that isn't interesting, I will probably go back to Eugene.

I realize that my own ideas and places that I have visited are limited. So I figured that I would put the question out to this esteemed group. Any ideas?
Salem Oregon, we will be selling and going full time next spring.
Have corner lot 1500 sf 4 br ranch with 16' x 65' concrete RV pad (with 50a/30a/20a RV breaker box) in back yard (also has 50a/30a/20a RV power box in garage.
(PM sent with e-mail addy)
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:59 AM   #4

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #11798
I've lived near Eugene in Corvallis and always liked that whole area. Around eugene, there are several small communities. I like Vaneta, which is between Eugene and the coastal town of Florence. The Willamette Valley is expensive, but maybe not like what you're accustomed to. I'm in NE Oregon, but would like to retire to the Oregon coast or maybe the Columbia River Gorge, assuming I can sell the idea to my wife.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:08 AM   #5

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pureguava68 View Post
I've lived near Eugene in Corvallis and always liked that whole area. Around eugene, there are several small communities. I like Vaneta, which is between Eugene and the coastal town of Florence. The Willamette Valley is expensive, but maybe not like what you're accustomed to. I'm in NE Oregon, but would like to retire to the Oregon coast or maybe the Columbia River Gorge, assuming I can sell the idea to my wife.
You do realize what happens to those who are born and raised in the gorge when the wind quits blowing don't you???

(they all fall over)
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:23 AM   #6

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #11798
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
You do realize what happens to those who are born and raised in the gorge when the wind quits blowing don't you???

(they all fall over)
Lol! That ok course is the downfall of the Columbia Gorge. I'm not sure how I'd handle it, but the scenery is unmatched, imo.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:53 AM   #7

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Here's a different idea. If you can stand being far, far from the coast, you might consider the Branson, Missouri area. It does snow there a couple of times in the winter, and it will be hot about a month in the summer. It's a scenic area with some great boating and fishing. You might find a place to build in one of the surrounding communities.