Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2018, 09:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Mandalay
State: Florida
THOR #11268
Roasting inside

We have a Thor Mandalay which has three top AC units and a dash AC and with all 4 going we cannot get the inside to cool down when traveling on the roadways. When parked it will chill down just fine to the point we have to put the thermostat on a set temperature. When driving we can hear wind noises which sound like near the front door and top. I don't know the door manufacturer to see about a new seal if possible although it looks tight when closed.

I read another thread about air jetting from the front up the corner windshield columns. I guess that's a possibility but how would I stop that if that is a problem.?

The AC vents all blow hard and cold.

All the slide seals appear tight and I am at a loss how to tighten this coach up so we don't roast inside.

An example is an ambient outside temp of 95 degrees and the inside temp will be between 85 and 87 usually. If it gets hotter outside so does the inside.

Has anyone had this problem and what is the cures?? Its like we're running with the windows open and trying to cool the coach.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:38 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
It does seem like air infiltration. They way the check houses is the install a large pressure electric fan in the doorway. Then they use a small smoke generator to go around the inside of each window and door to check for leaks. I assume they could do the same for your coach.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 01:51 PM   #3

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
We share your pain. Driving in the summer in heat and humidity is tough. Not just air temp, but road temp (check your tire temps on those 95 degree days), and humidity factor into the equation. You are driving a big box (aka heat sink) in the sun on hot pavement. As long as you can cool it down in the shade you may need to take additional "cooling stops" along the way. Yes, there will be air leakage as RV's are not sealed, but I believe your biggest problem is cooling capacity diminishes as heat and humidity increase.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:07 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Disagree...I feel with 3 A/C's running plus the dash unit you should be able to hang meat in there. I would track down the drafty areas, even if it meant crawling around on hands and knees while underway, and find the leaks...hopefully to come up with a way to seal them up. Warm air will be coming in where the cool air is leaving.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:09 PM   #5

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
are your roof fan vents open while driving?
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:34 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Our previous coach was a 40’ Tuscany with two rooftop ACs. Even on 90+ days with the dash AC and one rooftop AC running (usually the back) the whole coach stayed nice and chilly. I’m really curious why three ACs and dash running you can’t keep temps down.

If you get a lot of heat in the the rear of the coach I would suspect the insulation around your engine compartment is bad or maybe missing altogether, this would generate a lot of heat in the coach and make cooling difficult. Since your AC cools the coach when parked and the engine off I suspect this may be a large part of your problem, certainly worth checking out.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:05 PM   #7

Model: Mandalay
THOR #11268
NO, i do not run exhaust fans while moving. that to me seems counterproductive to cooling.. I can hear little leakage around the door but nothing major.
The engine area in the rear bath is super hot. The flooring gets so hot you have to wear shoes or walk on a rug. Everything in the bath is hot to the touch. I never thought of that being the problem but being 45 feet from the front i never suspected that as an issue. I figured all diesel pushers got hot over the engine like the hood of a car. but even with that heat I would think the front would stay cool.. how does one insulate the engine compartment in a diesel pusher//???
Old 07-09-2018, 12:08 AM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 25tqs
State: Idaho
THOR #12265
In the shop we use a ultra sonic transmitter, with a handheld receiver outside. Go around all openings, if you have a infiltration you will find it.

2006 Komfort 25tqs

Master riva tech
Wmcclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:31 AM   #9

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman32225 View Post
NO, i do not run exhaust fans while moving. that to me seems counterproductive to cooling.. I can hear little leakage around the door but nothing major.
The engine area in the rear bath is super hot. The flooring gets so hot you have to wear shoes or walk on a rug. Everything in the bath is hot to the touch. I never thought of that being the problem but being 45 feet from the front i never suspected that as an issue. I figured all diesel pushers got hot over the engine like the hood of a car. but even with that heat I would think the front would stay cool.. how does one insulate the engine compartment in a diesel pusher//???
Our Tuscany had quite a bit of insulation above the engine, the bedroom and closet floors would get slightly warm but never hot. As I said before, I suspect your lack of cooling is a result of heat intrusion from the engine bay. I don’t know if your engine is accessible from the top, like under the bed or something, but you need more insulation over the top of the engine.