Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2016, 02:58 PM   #1
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Trailer / RV Living

An article from Fox News today.

Why people choose trailer living over a traditional house | Fox News

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 04:06 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: VanLeigh Vilano 365RL
State: Florida
THOR #1907
Great article. Wishing my better half would conside selling the stick& brick house and enjoy our motorhome full-time. Would love to de-clutter and simplify our life. We are both retired now and really do not need the house and all that is included in owning and maintaining a home. Maybe someday.
JRS950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:49 PM   #3

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
Back in late 2004 after going through a divorce I bought a 2004 27 ft. TT and put it in a small RV park near the beach and lived in it while I was still working and commuting to work. It was cheap park rent compared to an apartment and I did not have to buy furniture.

Lived that way for a few years till I met my lovely wife and then we just used the TT
for traveling.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:24 PM   #4

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Never thought of our S&B home as a burden, but after getting rid of all our STUFF & selling the house it was such a relief. Now when the yard needs mowed I move, if it starts to snow we move, if the neighbors barking dogs bother us we move. Our 2 children are a couple thousand miles apart is the only downside & we don't want to be in either place in the winter, so dont get to spend as much time with the grandkids as we would like, but we do take one a summer for however long they'll last which gives us some FANTASTIC one on one with them. If I had to do it over, I wouldn't change a thing.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:24 PM   #5

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 23U
State: California
THOR #1490
I see another reality TV series. besides Tiny House nation.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:22 AM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
THOR #1469
I went out and performed a service on my JD lawn tractor this evening. It was depressing when I read the hour meter to record the service. 61 days at 8 hours a day sitting in the seat of that tractor mowing grass. I can only imagine the places seen, people met, and things done had those 61 days been spent sitting in the driver's seat of the motorhome.

Someday soon.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:51 AM   #7

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
I went out and performed a service on my JD lawn tractor this evening. It was depressing when I read the hour meter to record the service. 61 days at 8 hours a day sitting in the seat of that tractor mowing grass. I can only imagine the places seen, people met, and things done had those 61 days been spent sitting in the driver's seat of the motorhome.

Someday soon.
That's why, when I moved to the Florida keys 25 years ago, my one requirement was "white rocks" for the lawn. I can leave in my RV for four months and they still look the same when I return. 😊
Old 04-16-2016, 08:11 PM   #8

Model: SOB
THOR #3916
I laugh when the "Tiny Homes" segment comes on... What are these ppl thinking??? Most of the trailers they mount the "Tiny Home" on are nothing but a tow behind car trailer... The RV industry has had many many decades to perfect what is wanted and how to get the most out of the available space... and look at what they are calling their sleeping space!
Hell I'm 66 and just am not interested in banging my head on the ceiling let alone climbing up and down their "stairs/ladder" two or three times a night just to go whiz..
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:22 PM   #9

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
When my wife and i watch any of the tiny house reality shows she always says, "Why don't they just just just use our Vegas 24.1 floorplan. Extend the bedroom and bath out to match the living room slide. Then make the driving cab as part of the living area. No need for lofts and plenty of storage space."
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:53 AM   #10

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
I laugh when the "Tiny Homes" segment comes on... What are these ppl thinking??? Most of the trailers they mount the "Tiny Home" on are nothing but a tow behind car trailer... The RV industry has had many many decades to perfect what is wanted and how to get the most out of the available space... and look at what they are calling their sleeping space!
Hell I'm 66 and just am not interested in banging my head on the ceiling let alone climbing up and down their "stairs/ladder" two or three times a night just to go whiz..
I agree with you but they're young and dumb. Also, they don't get up two or three times a night to whiz. Remember those days? I'm 70 and can relate.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:16 AM   #11
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
FINALLY !! a thread about those 'tiny homes' !!!
We watch that show and shake our heads....
it is so good to know that so many of us feel the same way...
why don't they just buy a 5er or motorhome !!
Don't have to spend $2500 to move it to another location...yada yada...
I do have to admit...some of the interior finishes are nifty..
especially those folks who used copper for their counter top !!
and the way they make multi purpose tables, etc.
Some good ideas we all could use !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:59 PM   #12

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Just met a couple a few minutes ago in a campground in Maine with an all-original 1964 Shasta trailer who were nice enough to show it to us. Wow, have RVs changed over 50 years. It's also amazing how well it's held up after 50+ years.

So simple yet so functional at a basic level. Not a lot of things to go wrong, although you'd have to do without air conditioning, microwave, generator, solar, etc....
Old 08-07-2016, 08:56 PM   #13
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Just met a couple a few minutes ago in a campground in Maine with an all-original 1964 Shasta trailer who were nice enough to show it to us. Wow, have RVs changed over 50 years. It's also amazing how well it's held up after 50+ years.

So simple yet so functional at a basic level. Not a lot of things to go wrong, although you'd have to do without air conditioning, microwave, generator, solar, etc....
sweet ! no mods at all?
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 08-08-2016, 12:51 AM   #14

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
sweet ! no mods at all?
That's what they claimed, and it seemed possible to me.

The lady restores old classic trailers, and was told about this particular trailer that was owned by original owner. The blue color was a little faded, but looked original. An appraiser told them it was worth more as an original than if they had it repainted. Inside was all wood with only a small fridge, stove/oven, and furnace. Everything looked really old but they said it all worked.

At front was a transverse dinette/bed and at rear a transverse double bed with a fold down bed above that. And it folded down and back up manually, no motors or controllers required.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:11 AM   #15
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
That's what they claimed, and it seemed possible to me.

The lady restores old classic trailers, and was told about this particular trailer that was owned by original owner. The blue color was a little faded, but looked original. An appraiser told them it was worth more as an original than if they had it repainted. Inside was all wood with only a small fridge, stove/oven, and furnace. Everything looked really old but they said it all worked.

At front was a transverse dinette/bed and at rear a transverse double bed with a fold down bed above that. And it folded down and back up manually, no motors or controllers required.
I am not speaking for Ron...but, I could camp like that !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 08-08-2016, 12:25 PM   #16

THOR #2121
It would seem there is a big difference between "camping" and "living" in a trailer or motorhome. I'm still able to enjoy camping out of a small van roughly 1/40 the size of our home, although my wife a little less so lately. The next one must be much larger to minimize the "roughing-it" factor.

If we were looking to live in it, we'd look for a fairly large RV, but for camping we want to keep it small to make traveling much easier. Plus a small RV makes us appreciate the room of a house that much more.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:09 PM   #17

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
Quote:
It would seem there is a big difference between "camping" and "living" in a trailer or motorhome. I'm still able to enjoy camping out of a small van roughly 1/40 the size of our home, although my wife a little less so lately. The next one must be much larger to minimize the "roughing-it" factor.

If we were looking to live in it, we'd look for a fairly large RV, but for camping we want to keep it small to make traveling much easier. Plus a small RV makes us appreciate the room of a house that much more.
Hear hear!
Everyone's idea of camping is different. For my part I don't see all the comforts of home as camping. But that's me. You are correct that smaller is better for traveling easier. Driving into Cataloochee in the Smokeys in our toad all I thought was "Wow, I can get our MH in here!" Size restricted roads appeal to me and the road is dirt, gravel, holes, no guard rails and twisty and it was raining. DW was white knuckling the arm rest and had that look of "get me the hell out of here" in her eyes. I didn't think it was all that bad but I didn't grow up as a flatlander. Smaller allows you to see sites many never do.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:08 PM   #18

THOR #2121
I see "small and simple" as a compromise, a deliberate trade-off. We give up some things to get other things in return. Obviously we can't take as much with us on trips, but once there I really enjoy taking what we do have anywhere we go.

On the trip to Maine we are on, it was great being able to follow any route we wanted -- no bridge or tunnel restrictions. While in Acadia NP we could drive to a few places where RVs were prohibited -- due to parking which wasn't an issue for a 20-ft van. Granted we could have driven there in a toad, but it's nice to have our own food, drinks, toilet, cameras, telescope, etc. with us. And if we decide to eat out while on the road we can park easily in any restaurant lot.

We also travel in rented larger RVs often and I do prefer smaller over larger. The only question is how small does small have to be to get most of the benefits. If it can't almost pass for a car, it might as well be 30-feet long.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:54 AM   #19

Brand: Crossroads
Model: Elevation 3410
State: British Columbia
THOR #5932
Thanks for sharing the article.I would prefer staying in an RV for the rest of my life rather than staying put in a place.Any place that makes me happy and relaxed is a home to me.Though RV like homes should also be winterized,here is an article I saw that mentions some RV winterizing tips ( Step By Step RV Winterizing Checklist - RV Information (RV Maintenance) ) also it is a good idea if you can get rid of drafty windows.Here are some tips to check drafty windows and fix them It is always a good idea to detect them easily so you could save a lot on utility bills.