Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2018, 01:00 AM   #21
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yeah I sense another long thread on this one ! LOL

I have another thought: Perhaps it was stolen!

You know: "Drive it like you stole it!" (or it was rented--gasp!)

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 01:03 AM   #22

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I agree with several posts on this tread.

I like to point out that sometime I travel in the middle lane in a big city because the right lane has all of the on and off ramps that can be hectic (most cars dont pay attention either merging to quickly and cut you off or waiting last minute to slam on brake to take thier exit - so sometime the RIGHT lane is the WRONG lane IMO). Plus if flows too slow for me (Below speed limit most of the time or at a crawl sometimes).

So the middle lane IMO is fine in heavy traffic areas. But I also tend to stay with traffic flow - seems safer to me. Once Im past the congestion I will move over to the right lane and drive at or close to the speed limit.

I will pass cars and trucks on either side of the multi lanes if the traffic if flowing nicely around the slower person in the middle. But I dont change lanes very much and I never tailgate. So sometime I will just wait it out and play it safe. Just have to read the traffic situation.

So to each his own, use your head and drive safely. IMO most RV'er are safer than the average car driver. But sometimes we see knuckle heads.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 01:20 AM   #23

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
People, you can cite all the traffic laws you want, some people are just plain STUPID and are going to do what they want, period!!!

Been doing this a long time, I’ve seen idiots on the highway and in the campgrounds. You’re not not going to fix or change the attitudes or behaviors of some people, know why? Because the mother of stupid is always pregnant!!!
Old 09-11-2018, 01:30 AM   #24

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
It makes me feel so much safer knowing every member of the Thor forums are safe drivers.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:03 AM   #25

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #12091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post

I like to point out that sometime I travel in the middle lane in a big city because the right lane has all of the on and off ramps that can be hectic (most cars dont pay attention either merging to quickly and cut you off or waiting last minute to slam on brake to take thier exit - so sometime the RIGHT lane is the WRONG lane IMO). Plus if flows too slow for me (Below speed limit most of the time or at a crawl sometimes).

So the middle lane IMO is fine in heavy traffic areas. But I also tend to stay with traffic flow - seems safer to me. Once Im past the congestion I will move over to the right lane and drive at or close to the speed limit.

I will pass cars and trucks on either side of the multi lanes if the traffic if flowing nicely around the slower person in the middle. But I dont change lanes very much and I never tailgate. So sometime I will just wait it out and play it safe. Just have to read the traffic situation.

So to each his own, use your head and drive safely. IMO most RV'er are safer than the average car driver. But sometimes we see knuckle heads.

It’s sounds tome like you’re a good unselfish and responsible driver. For many years I had a commercial drivers license and drive fire equipment. I also found that driving in the middle lane on a 3 lane highway is the preferred lane. Especially on our Southern California lanes because of the numerous and closely spaced onramps and offramps. Having to negotiate all the time becoming drivers is a major pain in the ass. I have no problem passing on the right side in cars on the busy multi-lane highways of So Cal. I do it, although, if I have a choice I’m going to pass on the left. My biggest gripe with the dude driving the Tuscany on Hwy. #101 was that he seemed to be overly aggressive for the conditions at the time. It wasn’t like he was from out of state. He had a Calif. license plate. I guess I’m just too critical. I’ve driven and been driven in emergency vehicles of all types. The thing I tried to strive for when driving is to consider the passengers and the people driving around you. You should strive to make them as comfortable with your driving as possible. The other thing is that large vehicles don’t stop or slow like small vehicles so you have to account for that. Defensive driving always wins out over aggressive driving.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:31 AM   #26

Model: A.C.E. 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Kentucky
THOR #8259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post

Thank you Long & Winding Road!! This should be mandatory for all drivers, not just motorhome drivers! And if drivers are caught violating this? Well then, GIVE THEM THE DEATH PENALTY! Ok, maybe a fine will do...
Old 09-11-2018, 11:57 AM   #27
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
The folks in the Can Am Spyder Forums only argue about:
which oil to use
Tire pressures, brands, and types
Helmet usage, types, and brands
radar traps
Which Spyder to buy
Harley Davidsons
and even Politics!

Wait until I tell them about the fun that they're missing!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:46 PM   #28

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #10907
I've always found it hilarious when people talk about how bad everyone else drives.

If that were true, do you not realize that to me, YOU are everyone else?

Yeah, the fact is whether you realize it or not, you're ALL bad drivers.

httphttps://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q
gmtech16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:49 PM   #29
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
If we all were the same: this would be a very quiet, and boring World...
Old 09-11-2018, 06:40 PM   #30

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #2878
I make better time driving in the right lane! No one is there
Old 09-11-2018, 07:14 PM   #31

THOR #12091
Wow! Sorry I brought this up here.[emoji47] This was about as productive as debating political views.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:13 PM   #32

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Yeah...anytime you mention driving techniques, everybody becomes a professional driving instructor and knows everything there is to know. They wonder often why the State Police hasn't already pulled them over to compliment on how perfect they are doing.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:36 PM   #33

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Yeah...anytime you mention driving techniques, everybody becomes a professional driving instructor and knows everything there is to know. They wonder often why the State Police hasn't already pulled them over to compliment on how perfect they are doing.
......Always- "Drive your own rig"
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:25 PM   #34
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan2 View Post
Now look at them yo-yo's that's the way you do it:

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:35 PM   #35

Model: Challenger 37 LX
THOR #7853
Just wondering how you got a picture of the RV .. surely you weren't on your phone while driving ?

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:48 PM   #36

THOR #12091
RV Driving Critique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan2 View Post

On a two lane highway this makes perfect sense. On three lane highways the number 2 lane in the middle is the most safe lane to drive in as long as you’re driving the speed limit or with the flow of traffic. I find this especially so on California freeways since there are so many onramps and off ramps so closely spaced. There are too many people trying to get on and off for the right lane to be a good choice. Especially if you’re trying to go with the flow. People that drive Hwy. #101 should know that there are many places where it has bottlenecks. The middle lane on a 3 lane section will soon become the right lane on a two lane section and vice versa. Driving on the section through Carpenteria, Montecito, Santa Barbara and Goleta can be challenging for even the best drivers. There are a lot of people driving out there like it’s more important for them to get where they are going than it is for anyone else. The guy that I observed last Sunday that motivated me to write this post seemed like he was driving his large Motorhome without situational awareness. Several observations of his driving led me to that analysis. I don’t know if the guy was just ignorant or if he was indifferent. I do know that he is from California so the visiting from out of State excuse doesn’t apply. I find it interesting how some people can attempt to justify that it is perfectly acceptable to drive a Motorhome at 70+ MPH passing other vehicles in the right lane of a 3 lane highway when the speed limit is 65 MPH. If traffic in the left lane and middle lane is moving slower than traffic in the right lane, then fine pass on the right. It happens all the time. I have no problem driving 70+ MPH in our Motorhome if traffic and road conditions allow for that. Having good Situational Awareness while driving can’t be overstated in my opinion. Following the “Basic Speed Law” and leaving safe distance between yours and other vehicles will help when the unforeseen happens. Safe Travels[emoji846]
Old 09-11-2018, 09:55 PM   #37

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
See.....
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:05 PM   #38

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Can you imagine if no one ever passed on the right on a three lane highway? It would be a horror show. How many people trudge along in the center lane? How many get on the highway and for no reason whats so ever go for the middle.

Its basic SAFE driving if your doing the speed limit. Versus crossing two lanes or tailgating while the right lane is wide open.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:17 PM   #39
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
There are some places where they take passing only on the left seriously!
We were in a group of 21 motorcycles heading West on I-70...
Lots of traffic, so we stayed in our lane, and just kept a very "brisk pace".
We sure did see a lot of fist-shaking, and pointing...
Old 09-11-2018, 10:23 PM   #40
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
As long as the situation doesn't deteriorate to this level: I figure I'm okay...