Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2018, 06:39 PM   #81

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #4744
Flow of traffic

If you are in the #2 lane, you should be driving at the rate of speed as the flow of traffic. If most of the other cars are driving faster than the speed limit, you are impeding flow and creating a hazard. I would pass you on whatever side I felt was safe to do so, and be relieved to be past you. If the other RV was driving recklessly, shame on them.

Old 09-22-2018, 06:46 PM   #82

State: Oklahoma
THOR #12540
Right lane pasing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilley-Dilley View Post
Yesterday while driving 65 mph in the #2 lane (middle of three lanes) on northbound California Highway #101 (Ventura Freeway). I was passed on the right by a late model Tuscany Motorhome.
NEWS FLASH! THAT WAS VERY UNSAFE AMATEUR MOVE!
There are few if any good reasons for passing on the right. In the scenario yesterday there were at least three reasons not to make a pass of another vehicle on the right...please don’t take offense to this but middle lane driving for indefinite time give people only 2 options but for him the far left would have been illegal

1. The Motorhome you are passing is traveling at the posted maximum speed.
2. There is a lane on the left that is open to pass vehicles in.
3. You’re driving a Motorhome not a car.

I watched this person drive their Motorhome for several mike (Rincon to Goleta) as if it were a car not a 30’+ Motorhome. This person was driving over the speed limit, making numerous lane changes, tailgating other vehicles. All this unsafe driving and risk taking for what? Several miles after we were passed on the right by this person they were not any closer to their destination then we were as you can see in the attached photo taken in Santa Barbara...
Attachment 12726

PLEASE DRIVE SAFELY!
Well your not going to like this but he was driving in the proper lane according to California state law, the center lane is for passing not cruising in for an indefinite amount of miles. State law doesn’t alow him in far left lane of a 3 lane highway 2 lanes only left lane to pass so with you in the middle lane he had only one choice to pass and that was the right lane.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:15 PM   #83

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Yes Two Sides to Every Story

Yes there are indeed two sides to every story. When it comes to driving there is the other guys side and then mine (the right side).

Did you happen to get in front of him to see if he had his dear mother-in-law tied to the front bumper? That would make me a tailgater lol
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:33 PM   #84

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
State: Texas
THOR #13025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilley-Dilley View Post
Yesterday while driving 65 mph in the #2 lane (middle of three lanes) on northbound California Highway #101 (Ventura Freeway). I was passed on the right by a late model Tuscany Motorhome.
NEWS FLASH! THAT WAS VERY UNSAFE AMATEUR MOVE!
There are few if any good reasons for passing on the right. In the scenario yesterday there were at least three reasons not to make a pass of another vehicle on the right...

1. The Motorhome you are passing is traveling at the posted maximum speed.
2. There is a lane on the left that is open to pass vehicles in.
3. You’re driving a Motorhome not a car.

I watched this person drive their Motorhome for several mike (Rincon to Goleta) as if it were a car not a 30’+ Motorhome. This person was driving over the speed limit, making numerous lane changes, tailgating other vehicles. All this unsafe driving and risk taking for what? Several miles after we were passed on the right by this person they were not any closer to their destination then we were as you can see in the attached photo taken in Santa Barbara...
Attachment 12726

PLEASE DRIVE SAFELY!
Passing in the right lane as in your situation is league and safe. The law says slower traffic stay in the right lane. Not stay in the right except when you are going the speed limit.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:09 PM   #85

Model: Palazzo 36.1
THOR #8617
Here's the proof. Somebody will b_tch about anything.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:14 AM   #86

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
THOR #13025
I bet passing on the right on a multi lane highway is done legally probably a million times a day, especially when Highway Is crowded. Most time you have no choice.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:31 AM   #87

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Passing

I have been on CA freeways including that 101 north toward Goleta for quite a few years now. The number of vehicles has made it so that it is no fun to even get on the freeways anymore, let alone in a big box on wheels. I don't see any problem with passing as long as it is safe, signals are used, etc. Unfortunately, that is not the norm anymore on CA freeways.

I was driving south of the 15 freeway through Utah last week with its usual two northbound and two southbound lanes separated by a large median. I was driving about 65 mph in the slow lane (#2) and was passed on the left by a Thor Aria pulling a box trailer. No problem with the passing except that he almost struck my left front with his box trailer and didn't bother to use signals. People should not push their luck and ours when out on the road with these rigs, even if it is a diesel pusher. If the owner of this particular Thor Aria is on this forum I didn't mean to offend you by driving 65 in the slow lane.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:40 AM   #88

Model: Chateau Super C 35SF
State: Kansas
THOR #11472
"I sleep really well regardless. If posting something like this stops one person from driving unsafe then it’s worth taking the time to call it out."

I knew what you meant by posting the statement of what happened. And I agree with you.

For those who had critiques and criticisms, I would suggest these:

(1) If everyone were doing the speed limit, then no one would need to be passing another vehicle.

(2) If there are more than 2 lanes open to traffic heading in the same direction, then it doesn't matter if someone is in the center/middle lane doing the speed limit. The presumption of the law about driving in the left-most lane only when passing is that the person being passed is moving slower than the speed limit. No one should exceed the speed limit to pass another vehicle. I know we all do, but we are not legally passing.
(Just some free legal advice.)

The bottom line: remember to drive safely no matter which lane you are in, and remember that a lot of states have slower speed limits - albeit, not posted - for Class A and Class B motorhomes and for vehicles towing a 5th wheel or travel trailer.

Kim
Old 09-24-2018, 12:25 PM   #89

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Hey! You're not in Kansas anymore Dorothy.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:45 PM   #90
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote