Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2018, 12:19 PM   #61
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilley-Dilley View Post
True story on the driving in Europe. Many of those countries also have speed limits. It’s pretty simple on many of the highways because they are two lane. Left lane for passing and if you’re not passing you drive in the right lane. They also have speed guns with cameras on the freeway and just mail the fine to ya. In Italy the drivers like to say that the posted speed limits are “just a suggestion.” 🤣
I guess what I find interesting about this discussion is how quickly it got off the rails and suddenly a Motorhome driver who not only made a decision to pass another Motorhome on the right while speeding, also followed other traffic too closely for the speed he was traveling, made numerous other unnecessary lane changes to the left and right to travel 15 -20 miles and be no further down the road then the people he was trying so hard to overtake. All that unsafe driving and there are those that will justify and excuse such driving. WTF? Maybe I called out somebodies friend but, Excuse me, I’ll be damned if I’m going to warm up to the theory that I should excuse and defer to an aggressive driver like this. It’s clear to me that there is no sense discussing this in a forum like this. If you’re from So. Cali. then you know the freeways here aren’t your basic 2 lane interstate with a 70 mph limit and offramps/onramps every few miles. Oh how I long for the simplicity of driving on two lane highways.
Tfryman asks... “If the right lane was open why were you hanging out in the middle lane? Keep right except to pass.”
My answer to that is... I was definitely not hanging out in the middle lane and on a three lane highway like the one we were driving on there is no need to move over to the right lane if you are traveling at or above the speed limit like I was. A few miles up that right lane merges into that middle lane when the highway goes back to two lanes. The dude in the other Motorhome was driving like he felt entitled to every lane. He certainly had no aversion to using every available lane to get where he was going. Oh, I’m sorry, that’s right! The rest of us should just get the “F” out of the way!
I don't think anybody "justified and excused" the bad driving of the other MH. There were some (like me) that felt that if you were in the right lane than the other guy would not have passed you on the right and this thread may never have been born. I asked why you were hanging out in the middle lane when the right lane was open and you explained why (because the right lane was going away shortly) which is fine. But some people hang out in the middle lane or the left lane for no reason at all other than they are oblivious to the traffic around them. I see "professional" truck drivers do this all the time at 65 mph in a posted 70 mph interstate, Then when the truck driver that wants to go close to 70 catches up to the slower truck he can't pass him in the left lane because he is prohibited from using that lane on a 3 lane interstate; so he has to pass him on the right.

In my MH I am always in the right lane doing 63 mph unless I need to pass that rare person going slower.
In my 4 wheeler I am always in the right lane doing 75 - 80 mph and frequently moving one or 2 lanes to the left to pass as required, but if someone is going slower in the middle lane i pass them on their right instead of swinging over 2 lanes to pass them. After all, if they are not passing someone; shouldn't they have been in the right lane?

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:57 PM   #62

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Official Code of Georgia:

O.C.G.A. 40-6-43 (2010)
40-6-43. When overtaking and passing on the right permitted

(a) The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass upon the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:

(1) When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn; or

(2) Upon a street or highway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lanes of moving vehicles in the direction being traveled by the overtaking vehicle.

(b) If otherwise authorized, the driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle upon the right only under conditions permitting such movement in safety. Such movement shall not be made by driving off the roadway.

Most states follow this same Code. Nothing wrong with passing on the right on an interstate. Drive your own rig within your own risk levels. Pass whoever you wish, wherever you wish and don't look back. You can't fix stupid but stupid can cost you your life if you let it get to you. If someone is impeding traffic I will get around them as quickly and safely as I can and move on, regardless of who thinks what. I normally drive 65 in the coach. Often I will adjust up or down a MPH or two if it allows me to stay constant and not jump around in the lanes...as in following a big rig or in heavier traffic. Seems too many people get frustrated by the way others drive...this is your first tire in the ditch. Who really cares???
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 02:53 PM   #63

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Got to confess, on a 4 lane road (2 lanes in both directions) I stay in the right lane. If there is a 6 lane road (2 lanes both directions), I drive at the posted speed limit in the center lane. While some may complain about this and after 60k+ miles of driving in all lower 48 states, I find it the safest place to drive (at the posted speed limit). Takes the mergers out of the equation at on ramps and junctions. However, I also understand I will be passed on the right. On occasion, I've gotten the 1 fingered high sign. That high sign rolls off me like water off a duck.

PS: in a merge lane about 53k miles ago, I had an elderly gentleman drive down the side of our first coach. I had done everything right and the other driver was cited for fairly to yield in a merge zone. Didn't matter at that point the damage to both our coach and toad was done. To this day, I try to decrease the odds of a repeat by staying away from merge lanes as much as possible. And before anyone starts, DW and I both are 70ish - in other words approach elderly ourselves.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:56 PM   #64

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Quote:
Ya I’ll admit that I took the photo with my iPhone while driving. Guilty as charged! Probably should have had my wife take the shot. Didn’t take much more effort than reaching down to adjust the radio dial, look at the side view, rear view camera, find and turn on or off one of the many buttons located on the dash. I guess I shouldn’t hoist a bottle of water up to my mouth while driving either. I’m not proud that I felt the need to take a photo while driving but the effort was minimal.
If you run around the country long enough in your RV you will witness about every type of unsafe and weird behavior you can imagine. It is best to just mind your own business and drive as safely as you can.

I would much rather be passed by someone on the right than have someone behind me trying to focus and take photos with their I-phone though. To me that is some crazy unsafe driving.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:18 PM   #65
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Hmm what did I say back on page two?? Oh yeah:
Quote:
Yeah I sense another long thread on this one ! LOL
Stay safe out there...

(I'm not even going to offer up an opinion on this one as its too easy to not be clear and I'd just be extending the thread further LOL. I guess you could argue that this post is also extending the thread...so be it.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:54 PM   #66

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Spot on Jamie
Old 09-13-2018, 09:41 PM   #67
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Hmm what did I say back on page two?? Oh yeah:

Stay safe out there...

(I'm not even going to offer up an opinion on this one as its too easy to not be clear and I'd just be extending the thread further LOL. I guess you could argue that this post is also extending the thread...so be it.)
Yup! You sure did!
What the heck: nobody ever said that every conversation had to end as quickly as possible.
As long as folks aren't arguing too loudly: let them run their course!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:39 PM   #68

State: Alabama
THOR #12091
I will make this my last post on this thread. I truly apologize for misusing this Forum with this post. If anyone else feels the need to jump on feel free. I’ll refrain from further comments since I’ve clearly stepped in it. I’ll be busy repairing my glass house.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:28 AM   #69
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
I will make this my last post on this thread. I truly apologize for misusing this Forum with this post. If anyone else feels the need to jump on feel free. I’ll refrain from further comments since I’ve clearly stepped in it. I’ll be busy repairing my glass house.
Wow that is a bit much. I for one don't think you misused the forum.

What is a forum after all but an open area for an exchange of ideas--you just have to be prepared for all of the ideas you'll see! LOL

My comments about it being a long thread weren't complaining, more of an observation. There just are some topics that everyone will have an opinion about...

And to think this wasn't even remotely related to politics (other than politics are what made the laws to begin with LOL).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:40 AM   #70

Model: Hurricane
THOR #7745
Thumbs up

I defiantly enjoyed reading everyone's opinions on it I myself stay in middle lane if there are a lot of exits if not right laner but I enjoyed the post dilley
Old 09-14-2018, 12:51 AM   #71

THOR #11130
We'll close with this one....enjoyed the race!!!

Old 09-14-2018, 03:37 AM   #72

Model: vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #12326
I enjoy this thread. Learning a lot about other drivers. Although we are all on the same page to get from point A to point B without rubbin paint, we all have our own theories that work best for each of us. My thought is this, I stay in the second from right on wide open freeways because I feel it is safer to stay out of the way of the mergers. You know how many people don't even look till the last 10 feet? drives me crazy. Also because of people broke down on the side, keeps the lane changes to a minimum. I drive with the flow of traffic even if that puts me up or down 5 mph of what I want. seems to me just safer for everyone. Except Texas lol. 75-80 I let the semi;s just blow right by me but then I will stay to the right. Tailgaters or semi's I give myself extra braking distance so I can slow down slower than normal for my rear protection. And occasionally I will look down and find myself doing 80 or 50 when just cruising on an empty highway minding my own business . city streets we supposed to stay to the right but the dang low hanging trees scare me to the center. there is no fool proof way to drive, just good preparation for the drive. And don't sweat the mistakes of others. I used to be the one that had to get all jacked up about a ahole driver but it takes too much energy to get mad at a dumb azz for 10 min and brings your whole attitude behind the wheel up. now I just shake my head or make a rude comment to myself about them and stay positive. works great.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:52 AM   #73

THOR #12091
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasBaby!!! View Post
I enjoy this thread. Learning a lot about other drivers. Although we are all on the same page to get from point A to point B without rubbin paint, we all have our own theories that work best for each of us. My thought is this, I stay in the second from right on wide open freeways because I feel it is safer to stay out of the way of the mergers. You know how many people don't even look till the last 10 feet? drives me crazy. Also because of people broke down on the side, keeps the lane changes to a minimum. I drive with the flow of traffic even if that puts me up or down 5 mph of what I want. seems to me just safer for everyone. Except Texas lol. 75-80 I let the semi;s just blow right by me but then I will stay to the right. Tailgaters or semi's I give myself extra braking distance so I can slow down slower than normal for my rear protection. And occasionally I will look down and find myself doing 80 or 50 when just cruising on an empty highway minding my own business . city streets we supposed to stay to the right but the dang low hanging trees scare me to the center. there is no fool proof way to drive, just good preparation for the drive. And don't sweat the mistakes of others. I used to be the one that had to get all jacked up about a ahole driver but it takes too much energy to get mad at a dumb azz for 10 min and brings your whole attitude behind the wheel up. now I just shake my head or make a rude comment to myself about them and stay positive. works great.

[emoji6][emoji1303]
Old 09-14-2018, 12:08 PM   #74
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
If you miss use the forum we will notify you and and close out the thread.
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:14 PM   #75

THOR #11130
I just discovered at the top of each page under "Thread Tools" how easy it it is to unsubscribe from a particular thread. Great feature!! If anyone needs me, I'll be in the bar.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:02 PM   #76
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
... And I'll be in my "pillow fort": coloring...
Old 09-14-2018, 03:10 PM   #77

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
THOR #10823
I've enjoyed this thread a lot but have stayed out until now. I think there is one really important take away we should think about. In this thread one set of dumb moves ( the pass, tailgating, etc) let to another dumb move (taking a picture while driving.) As was said, if you drive enough you'll see all sorts of crazy things. The key is, stay safe and don't let another driver's dumb move provoke you into the next dumb move. Accidents more often than not are a chain of dumb moves, break that chain, don't add the next link. Just an observation from an old EMT/Fire-Rescue guy. Now to join Gritz for the next round.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:20 PM   #78

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #10907
This is how I drive...

https://youtu.be/zipi1pnV3sg

https://youtu.be/_1L5YvQvc7I

https://youtu.be/uSQlOfqAmaw

Questions?

lol.

httphttps://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q
gmtech16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:28 PM   #79
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It must be tough for you to get anywhere to get anything done: you're always driving in circles!

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:01 PM   #80

Model: Vegas 25.2
THOR #9050
Damn! That Saturn appears to have some mods? Nice burnouts!

Edit - Just watched the YouTube on your build. Sick Sick Sick!
Mods - Safe-T-Steer - Roadmaster Sterling Towbar - Tow Defender - KarGard - Thermopro In/Out T-Stat - SS Kitchen Sink - Garmin RV770 - Propane Tee Grill Adaptor - Custom Center Console - Oxygenics Shower Head - 10" Rear View Safety Monitor - Verizon Hot Spot - Radiator Guard - Sumo Springs - Cylinder Locks
Sprinkler-Head is offline   Reply With Quote