Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2019, 05:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
The New Hurricane!!!

Last Saturday we signed papers and traded the trusty Four Winds. Spent Sunday organizing all the storage and getting it settled. So this weekend we finally got it out on the road for a short trip.

But wow...I sure carry a lot of crap. Both of us, the 2 dogs, full of gas, propane, supplies, and fresh water I only have 650 pounds to spare. Tow dolly tongue weight is 300#, so we will be JUST under. I was a bit concerned about the 18k pound chassis, but at least I am not overloaded. And it fits in the garage. Weight is distributed well also. I had an alignment added as part of our deal, so now I get it aligned all loaded next week.

And I am NOT bashing Thor nor inviting diatribes about their poor workmanship or attention to detail, but we found 2 issues so far. One of them is actually comical. First is the water heater does not work on electric. I opened it outside, and there is no reset switch in this one. So not sure what to do about that other than have them fix it.

The funny thing is this. They plumbed the unit wrong. So...on pump some of our faucets are fine while others are reversed for hot and cold. Put it on city water and it is the opposite. I noticed while filling the dog bowl the water was hot. Meanwhile Melissa is in the shower screeching about no hot water. I tell her to try the cold side and she gets scalded. I put it on city water and everything is ass backwards from that. And nothing is consistent on one source or the other. Kitchen, outside kitchen, shower, bath sink...some are one way and others are different. I just found that funny as we made a list of which water comes from where depending on the source.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	16976   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	16977  

Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	16978   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	16979  

2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 05:46 PM   #2

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Congrats, nice rig!
Old 04-29-2019, 05:47 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I've heard the reversed hot water story before. As I recall it was caused by winterizing valves not in the correct position.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 05:50 PM   #4

THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I've heard the reversed hot water story before. As I recall it was caused by winterizing valves not in the correct position.
I did think about that. It was winterized when we looked at it. I'll have them check that when in for alignment. But isn't it odd that it would it be consistent?

And do these new water heaters not have a reset switch like in the past?
Old 04-29-2019, 06:26 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It's a real beauty: I hope that you enjoy many, many thousand "Miles & Smiles" with it!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:32 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish and Dear View Post
I did think about that. It was winterized when we looked at it. I'll have them check that when in for alignment. But isn't it odd that it would it be consistent?

And do these new water heaters not have a reset switch like in the past?
The new Dometic waters automatically reset when ever the gas is switched on. The water heater 120 volt relay wiring is probably wrong. It is located at the back, base of the water heater and was disturbed when the winterizing plumbing was installed. The bad news you have to drain the water heater and remove the bottom cold water pipe to access the water heaters 120 volt wiring box.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:37 PM   #7

THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The new Dometic waters automatically reset when ever the gas is switched on. The water heater 120 volt relay wiring is probably wrong. It is located at the back, base of the water heater and was disturbed when the winterizing plumbing was installed. The bad news you have to drain the water heater and remove the bottom cold water pipe to access the water heaters 120 volt wiring box.
Good info. Guess CW will be doing that, too.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:24 PM   #8

Model: 34J Windsport
State: Louisiana
THOR #15123
We had our 34J Windsport in the shop 2x for Water Heater Issues. Would not work on Electric side, wound up being wire nuts for unit not being tight, come to find out, wire was in a bind the 2nd time and came undone again. Hopefully fixed this time.

Fortunatly, There was a small leak in Water Heater 1st go round, so they had to replace all base cabinets due to water damage.

The 1st year is a Big headache with a new unit, but we still love it...
Old 04-29-2019, 08:52 PM   #9

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
THOR #12231
Congratulation,

So your saying you transfered all of your stuff from the Class C to the Hurricane and you only have 650 # to spare? WOW.

Did you purchased some new stuff (like "lead" lawn chairs - lol) for your New RV as well?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:13 PM   #10

THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Congratulation,

So your saying you transfered all of your stuff from the Class C to the Hurricane and you only have 650 # to spare? WOW.

Did you purchased some new stuff (like "lead" lawn chairs - lol) for your New RV as well?
Well the C had a GVWR of 14,200# & this is only 18,000#. But a lot more chassis and coach and an additional 23 gallons of fuel. The dry weight was a lot closer to max to begin with.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:48 PM   #11

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
Nice rig ! Congrats !

The reversed plumbing could get interesting if the commode is similarly plumbed. You could get your hindquarters steam cleaned while tending to nature's call.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:49 PM   #12

THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfla View Post
Nice rig ! Congrats !

The reversed plumbing could get interesting if the commode is similarly plumbed. You could get your hindquarters steam cleaned while tending to nature's call.
Lol...might be nice this winter.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:44 AM   #13

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Very nice. So the tongue weight of dolly is figured into GVWR? I thought the tongue weight was part of the GCWR. Thinking about it that makes sense as the tongue weight is on the chassis not part of the towed vehicle weight. Stick around the forum long enough and you will learn something! My Ace 27.2 is on a 16000 pound chassis and I flat tow a 4200 lb Cherokee. GCWR is 23000. I doubt I will have a lot of spare weight in the coach after we load up either.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:46 AM   #14

THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Very nice. So the tongue weight of dolly is figured into GVWR? I thought the tongue weight was part of the GCWR. Thinking about it that makes sense as the tongue weight is on the chassis not part of the towed vehicle weight. Stick around the forum long enough and you will learn something! My Ace 27.2 is on a 16000 pound chassis and I flat tow a 4200 lb Cherokee. GCWR is 23000. I doubt I will have a lot of spare weight in the coach after we load up either.
Tongue weight is added to GVW. GCWR is the coach and toad combined.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:52 AM   #15

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Fortunately flat towing the Jeep will not add any weight to the GVW, at 16000 lbs the 27.2 doesn't have much to spare. I need to get this rig loaded up and weighed, I bet we are close to the 16000.
Happy Camping
Mark
Old 04-30-2019, 02:48 AM   #16

THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Fortunately flat towing the Jeep will not add any weight to the GVW, at 16000 lbs the 27.2 doesn't have much to spare. I need to get this rig loaded up and weighed, I bet we are close to the 16000.
Happy Camping
Mark
Post your loaded weight. I'd be interested to know. I thought those were on an 18k chassis.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:40 PM   #17

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #14384
I am so glad my 34j is on the 22k chassis.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:57 PM   #18

THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by apr67 View Post
I am so glad my 34j is on the 22k chassis.
With 5 more feet of coach and chassis vs the 29M it needs to be on that chassis. That's a lot more dry weight than mine. The 20.5k would have been better under the 29M I suppose. But carrying 2 overweight people, 2 dogs, all supplies, and full of fuel and water I'm content.

Realistically traveling we often won't have a full 80 gallons of fuel. Just depends on prices along the way. And 50 gallons of water is more than we would normally have on board unless we intend to do some dry camping along the route.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:56 PM   #19

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish and Dear View Post
With 5 more feet of coach and chassis vs the 29M it needs to be on that chassis. That's a lot more dry weight than mine. The 20.5k would have been better under the 29M I suppose. But carrying 2 overweight people, 2 dogs, all supplies, and full of fuel and water I'm content.

Realistically traveling we often won't have a full 80 gallons of fuel. Just depends on prices along the way. And 50 gallons of water is more than we would normally have on board unless we intend to do some dry camping along the route.
I always fill my gas tank especially after a trip. The fuller the tank the less condensation in the tank

I usually keep my water full or close to it. You never know what can happen. We were camped in las Vegas when 50+ winds came and knock a few trees over breaking a water line. We were without water for two days. We had a full tank so didn't have a problem. Many were empty and left the cg

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:16 PM   #20

THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I always fill my gas tank especially after a trip. The fuller the tank the less condensation in the tank

I usually keep my water full or close to it. You never know what can happen. We were camped in las Vegas when 50+ winds came and knock a few trees over breaking a water line. We were without water for two days. We had a full tank so didn't have a problem. Many were empty and left the cg

Jerry
Let me clarify what I meant. I agree about the fuel tank condensation. Our's never sits more than a couple weeks, and I typically have 1+ oz/gallon of Sea Foam in the tank and run through the generator if it will sit over 2 weeks.

What I meant by not running it full of fuel is this...at 8.5 MPG we are burning off weight rather quickly. When I leave for a long trip it is topped off to max capacity. I rarely blow and go down the highway without stopping, unless I had some odd reason for needing to be somewhere in a big hurry. So I plan stops where the fuel is cheapest. Then I am back at capacity again. If I am in a high price fuel area I may only add enough to keep the genny running and to get to a lower price area again.

Regarding the water...I will ALWAYS fill that to capacity before a long trip. Who knows what might happen along the way? Driving from AR to PA or FL or CO or MI...absolutely 50 gallons of fresh on board. We are not at all opposed to using that water tank for it's intended purpose. What I meant about not necessarily being full is if we are just making short (2-4 hours) runs for a long weekend I may not refill it for some time. We always have, or can get, bottled water somewhere. I keep cases of bottled water stored for those "just-in-case" situations. For a long trip we will have fresh water full for bathing, drinking, cooking.

A long trip starts with FULL gas, propane, and water and EMPTY black and gray. Gas goes quickly. Water is moved to other tanks. I always have bottled water for any emergency and for driving. Being in the Navy I learned how important fresh water is. And I am always prepared for any contingency with water. The motorhome is also our fall back location in case of a natural disaster, so stored it is always ready to go. And we have used other RVs we owned in the past for that.