Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2015, 04:44 PM   #1
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
RV Security

On another thread I mentioned an article written by Mike Wendland for the August 2015 issue of Family Motor Coaching Magazine titled when "Moving On after Thieves Move In" and it was suggested that RV security would make a good thread in and of itself.

The article mentioned is also a Blog post and can be located here:

http://roadtreking.com/rt36-roadtrek...en-ripped-off/

Thanks to JamieGeek for providing the link.

Although I believe one should not always divulge the specifics of security systems or procedures it would be nice to discuss generic concepts that folks use when travelling and camping.

Take it away folks....

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:15 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I'd like to add: please keep the topic to RV security (e.g. things you do to keep items in your RV secure).

I would really like to avoid the whole "do you take your gun with you" because those threads quickly go to the lowest common denominator and accomplish nothing.

My thoughts after reading his blog post (didn't listen to the podcast but the notes appear to be a transcript): His RV has a key fob which the thieves thwarted somehow to gain entry (the mention of the insurance company not wanting to pay because of no signs of forced entry--really!? wow!). Many motorhomes don't use a keyfob and on many of those there really is no clear path to the inside via the outside storage units. Thus they may be slightly more secure (e.g. may take the thieves another 30 seconds to get in) because of that fact.

In his case as well: I don't think the Roadtrek has any outside storage bins that use the 751 key? Even if it did I'm not sure the thieves knew about that point of entry.

(A note: On our 5th wheel you could easily gain entry into the main area of the RV from one or more of the outside storage bins.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:31 PM   #3

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
Some people add small safes somewhere in their RV. Just another idea.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:47 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
[QUOTE=JamieGeek;22844]I'd like to add: please keep the topic to RV security (e.g. things you do to keep items in your RV secure).

I would really like to avoid the whole "do you take your gun with you" because those threads quickly go to the lowest common denominator and accomplish nothing.

To each his own as far as how to make/keep your RV secure.
In all reality, the RV is not something that can be made truly secure. When you are away and thieves want to get in, they can and will.
When I'm there, it's a different story should they come calling.
Whether you agree with the gun concept or not, that is what they would be staring at if they break into my rig while I'm there.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:48 PM   #5

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Louisiana
THOR #2095
I suspect finding a "safe" place for a safe would present it's own set of problems, though.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:07 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd
Whether you agree with the gun concept or not, that is what they would be staring at if they break into my rig while I'm there.
My point wasn't about if people bring guns or not; its just that discussions of such a topic often derail and become shouting matches. Just trying to keep this civil and constructive.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:10 PM   #7
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemusic321 View Post
I suspect finding a "safe" place for a safe would present it's own set of problems, though.
The one thing that has always amazed me are the, in my opinion, idiots that will get on a public forum and provide details, to include photos, of their "secret storage areas" or where they store their valuables or what items they carry in their rigs. These idiots don't realize the bad guys read the forums as well as anyone else.

One such post was on IRV2 where someone created a post secret storage area on a particular model RV. Well dude, it's not a secret anymore.
FMCA - F432054
Old 12-08-2015, 08:58 PM   #8

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Iowa
THOR #1404
I was thinking about replacing the locks on the outside storage doors. Seems like a logical step to at least make it inconvenient for a thief. Curious if others have replaced the locks and where a good source for them.

Dennis and Carol
Old 12-08-2015, 09:17 PM   #9
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlesman View Post
I was thinking about replacing the locks on the outside storage doors. Seems like a logical step to at least make it inconvenient for a thief. Curious if others have replaced the locks and where a good source for them.

Dennis and Carol
If you are interested in combination style cam locks you can get either 3 or 4 digit locks from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...04SA70S4ZEYY72

http://www.amazon.com/Combi-Cam-7850.../dp/B000W7DBWA

I am sure they are available from other suppliers as well.
FMCA - F432054
Old 12-08-2015, 11:57 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: Texas
THOR #1599
I have a safe I use at home, just so happens it fits perfect in a certain spot in the Hurricane. It is fairly heavy, and is a fireproof safe also.....that was my real intent, as we go semi full time sometime next year....I was concerned about personal documents protection. Also, I'm thinking if you get robbed in a RV park, even if there are not that many other campers there, I suspect it would be more of a grab and go........highly unlikely they would lug a 80lbs safe out of the MH.
San Antonio, Tx
Tytlfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:58 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: Texas
THOR #1599
As far as personal protection, use whatever you are competent, comfortable, and properly trained with to protect your family.
San Antonio, Tx
Tytlfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 02:48 AM   #12

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
I have a hunting Knife and machete (Harbor Freight) next to me bed and three cans of pepper spray - one by the main door hanging above. If anyone tries to get near my family - they come through me first!

If we are not there, have at it - I have good insurance!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:08 AM   #13

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
I agree with Tytlfamily, thieves probably want to get in, grab purses, billfolds and electronics and run. Poke around your coach, you'll find places that are unlikely to be found with a quick look around, if you want to hide something.

Years ago, we went to a seminar on security at a rally. Here's some ideas:
-Carry a wasp bomb to use like pepper spray, it sprays farther, disables and won't have lasting effects. You don't need a permit to carry wasp bomb!
-They said the best firearm for RV protection is a short barrel shot gun. Better chance to hit your target under pressure.
-Avoid signs that say, "Protected by Smith & Wesson" as thieves might break in to just steal your firearms if they think you are absent.
-Mark your roof with a letter or symbol, so your stolen RV can be spotted from an airplane or helicopter. They all look pretty similar from above.
-Lock your doors at rest areas, truck stops and gas stations, at all times. Park where your door is visible by people passing by and at night, lighted.
-Never leave purses, billfolds or electronics out and visible.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:20 AM   #14

THOR #1295
I like the roof idea! How did it say to mark it? Will paint damage the rubber roof I am wondering?
(THOR)
Old 12-09-2015, 03:29 AM   #15

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Dogs can provide a level of security.
Changing out those generic keyed locks helps with reducing easy opportunity access. Though I wouldn't recommend combination locks because I've watched those get opened in just a few minutes and some almost as fast as knowing the numbers! I see those as just a challenge taunting kids that happen to be near.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:29 AM   #16

THOR #1295
I like the idea of the roof - How did they recommend marking? Would paint damage the rubber roof!

I also prefer pepper spray due to the ultraviolet dye included - hard to wash off and helps identify the perp when the police arrive!
(THOR)
Old 12-09-2015, 03:52 AM   #17

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Painting AC shrouds has been discussed on other forums, some used Krylon paint for plastics.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:50 PM   #18

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
We installed a small hand gun safe in our wardrobe closet for jewelry, cash and a gun if I decide to carry one. We also have mace near the door. As far as storage locks It looks like they could easily pry open any lock used.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:18 PM   #19
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Lots of reading on the subject:

Crime in RV Trailers
KOA Article on crime in campgrounds
Good notes in both articles. They both point out that crime in RV parks is pretty low--you are more likely to encounter something while on the road (which is when Mike got robbed in the post that started this thread).
In our case we simply use common sense: (like mentioned in the articles) Lock the doors, keep the curtains closed, keep all the storage bays locked (751 key notwithstanding), etc. (One of the reasons I got the windshield cover was to keep prying eyes out in the daytime...)
Since we don't fulltime we only carry what we need for that trip (aside from a laptop or two and a phone or two). When we leave the camper our phones are with us so about the only expensive things they could steal are electronics...easily replaceable.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:02 PM   #20

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1547
Other than our phones and iPad, which are with us when we leave the campground, we really don't carry much worth stealing. A bigger concern for us, and one of the reasons we like having a toad, is someone breaking in and having our dogs escape. Much prefer leaving them in the RV at the campground than a store parking lot!!

We have recently bought a portable satellite. Haven't had an opportunity to use it yet. Just curious if any of you have had problems leaving a satellite out in campgrounds. Since it finds satellites automatically, really wouldn't be too much trouble to bring inside at night or when away from the coach, if necessary.