Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2019, 09:13 AM   #41

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAk1ns View Post
Love my drones!
Dave Ak1ns, HEADNOUT
Very nice Dave!

2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:21 PM   #42

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Arizona
THOR #14921
Arrow

I’m retired from the technology sector and am now a Fabricator and Aspiring Photographer. I fly RC planes occasionally, but they’re too large to transport in my smaller motorhome. My drone is a DJI Mavic 2 Zoom. I seek out legal places to fly and keep my drone and software updated. If I am in a NFZ (No Fly Zone), the drone will not leave the ground - even if I wanted it to. I am very careful with the drone and rarely will I bring it anywhere around people and then only if everyone is comfortable with my doing so. I have made friends with a couple of people who were firmly anti-drone and swore that those flying them had no respect for people’s privacy, taking pictures of their wives, daughters, etc. Both gentlemen are now drone operators and loving their new hobby.
I will be getting my 107 Certificate soon as I would like to be able to sell my services, photographs and video.
Most of my photography is not necessarily done at high altitudes but actually close to ground level out in the desert where I cannot safely hike.
Just be respectful of people. Take the time to educate yourself and develop an open demeanor that will allow you to share “the truth” about consumer drones and what you’re doing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	177BC1C2-0597-48E1-A374-2A53BFCFC3F8.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	20302  
Midlothian, TX / Gold Canyon, AZ
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:37 PM   #43

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Big-foot,

Thanks for the insight, never actually considered drone pictures as a privacy issue. I'm really just looking at it as a way of viewing potential fishing spots along a river, searching for potential real "wild life" to avoid and pictures of the scenery.
I will have to look for the NFZ.
Beginner question: What is 107 Certificate? To allow you to "go professional" with your photos/videos or does it deal with NFZ's and other privacy concerns?
By the way, great looking sunset??

DocMike

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:02 AM   #44
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Big-foot,

Thanks for the insight, never actually considered drone pictures as a privacy issue. I'm really just looking at it as a way of viewing potential fishing spots along a river, searching for potential real "wild life" to avoid and pictures of the scenery.
Beginner question: What is 107 Certificate? To allow you to "go professional" with your photos/videos or does it deal with NFZ's and other privacy concerns?

DocMike

Part 107 is the commercial drone license.. not required for recreational use. (Commercial use includes simple things like selling pics taken from drone or a realtor taking pics for a listing.)

http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/ is a good resource as is the B4UFLY app for recreational users.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:13 AM   #45

THOR #2142
GMC,

Thanks, will go to listed site...I am a belt and suspenders kind of guy so I will do the research.
Question stands: Is that a Sunset or Sunrise on Bigfoot's #42 reply above.

DocMike

Old 09-17-2019, 03:34 AM   #46

THOR #14921
Quote:
Big-foot,

DocMike
GMC answered the 107 question... If you ever want to sell your work, you need to have the commercial certificate. Additionally, your work as a non-commercial pilot cannot be used by any business entity - even if you “give” that work to them for free.
Having a certificate does not give you “much” in terms of rules - actually in some cases, the rules are even more strict.
Many people (non pilots) just don’t understand drones and FAA registration. Threats to blow them out of the sky if flown anywhere near their property are common among the ignorant “haters”. You are required, by law, in the USA to register yourself as a pilot and your drone as your aircraft. Once you do this, you are afforded protection under the law, but also additional scrutiny by the government... That said - your irate neighbor that shot down your drone may have broken the local laws, but he has also committed a federal offense.

So does it seem like some of the “fun” is being taken away by all this? Yep, it should, because it has. And things are going to get worse, before they get better. All on account of a few bad actors that screwed a great hobby up by doing just totally stupid stuff....

I like the app UAV Forecast.
Old 09-17-2019, 03:38 AM   #47

THOR #14921
Quote:
GMC,

Thanks, will go to listed site...I am a belt and suspenders kind of guy so I will do the research.
Question stands: Is that a Sunset or Sunrise on Bigfoot's #42 reply above.

DocMike
That’s a sunset. Arizona has some of the best and most colorful sunsets due, in part, to the dust in the air...

Here’s a Panorama....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2720F47B-EDC2-407F-A7F2-E3D8F478DB7B.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	20310  
Old 09-17-2019, 10:27 AM   #48

THOR #2142
Bigfoot,
Thanks for the info. Once again everyone pays the price for things things stupid people do.
Great sunset, I grew up as a kid in Albuquerque...great sunsets and sunrises there too and now I can understand why.

DocMike

Old 09-17-2019, 12:35 PM   #49
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
When we were at YELLOWSTONE/GRAND CAYNON etc. my son had his drone. I had an idea that would be cool.
Set areas of the park where with Rangers, ‘Droners’ could meet and photograph at different areas at certain times of the day.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:40 PM   #50
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
GMC answered the 107 question... If you ever want to sell your work, you need to have the commercial certificate.
You are required, by law, in the USA to register yourself as a pilot and your drone as your aircraft...
And why I don’t do much with a camera on a drone... since I do sell some of my photography... may get the 107 one day, but do much more r/c plane flying than ‘drone’ flying.

To clarify the registration, recreational use require the pilot to register with FAA, but not the individual drones/aircraft. The pilot’s registration number must be on outside of each drone.

Commercial use (Part 107) has more stringent requirements including registering the drone.

Tiny stuff (I think under 8 oz) and anything flown indoors is exempt.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 09-20-2019, 11:29 AM   #51

THOR #14340
My house from a couple hundred feet.

http://drive.google.com/file/d/1dMEiBNs8S4C3gNT-3d43LLF6q3lNGog3/view?usp=sharing

Old 09-20-2019, 12:53 PM   #52

THOR #2142
Squerly,

Nice neighborhood! Thanks for the video.

DocMike

Old 09-20-2019, 01:01 PM   #53

THOR #14340
Quote:
Squerly,

Nice neighborhood!
DocMike
Yep, I'm the homeowners association, road maintenance and neighborhood watch, all rolled up in one.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:29 PM   #54
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squerly View Post
Yep, I'm the homeowners association, road maintenance and neighborhood watch, all rolled up in one.
My kind of HOA... lol.. very nice.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 09-22-2019, 11:55 PM   #55

THOR #14340
There's a company in China called Holy Stone. The sell low end drones and from time to time they send me one to review. At first, they sent me crap drones and I gave them factual reviews based on the crap they sent me.

So after awhile, they sent me better drones, and as the drones came up in capability, they obviously warranted better reviews. About a week ago they sent me their flagship drone for review.

It's a cool drone but with no gimbal, a 2K camera and cheap controller, it's not good for much more than just playtime. But that's the market they target so with that in mind, it's not a bad little drone.

Big plus for this one is it flies for 30 minutes on one battery charge. Wow, that's great! Anyhow, here it is!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZN0...ew?usp=sharing

Old 10-01-2019, 01:23 PM   #56
Mag

Model: 5
State: Ontario
THOR #16132
In Canada we have to have a drone operators certificate to operate a drone that weighs more than 1/2lb. Penalties are expensive. Not sure about visitors from the U.S., if you'd like to read up on it heres a link.
https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/avi...y-legally.html
Old 10-01-2019, 02:43 PM   #57

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag View Post
In Canada we have to have a drone operators certificate to operate a drone that weighs more than 1/2lb. Penalties are expensive. Not sure about visitors from the U.S., if you'd like to read up on it heres a link.
https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/avi...y-legally.html
First government run health care now drone police? Yikes! Where does it stop?
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 03:22 PM   #58
Mag

Model: 5
State: Ontario
THOR #16132
Drones

I agree they've outdone themselves with the drone policies. Too much of a nanny state sometimes. Not to get into a heated discussion but as far as our healthcare system goes, I wouldn't want it any other way. It comes out of our taxes so initially we pay for it but you don't have a one time payment of hundreds or thousands for treatment.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:43 PM   #59

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Ohio
THOR #14952
Squerly, that is really cool. You obviously have had some practice. I didn't realize how high they are until you bring them down. Bought a cheap one for my DH, we have never taken it out of the box.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:01 PM   #60

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag View Post
I agree they've outdone themselves with the drone policies. Too much of a nanny state sometimes. Not to get into a heated discussion but as far as our healthcare system goes, I wouldn't want it any other way. It comes out of our taxes so initially we pay for it but you don't have a one time payment of hundreds or thousands for treatment.
We have health insurance so costs for services are kept low. Additionally we can seek out the best care in the world. People from all over the world come to America for medical care (including thousands annually from Canada) that tells you everything you need to know.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote